The shock of genuine affection

edited December 2023 in General

Someone told me I looked sad the other day and asked if I was okay. I said "Yeah" like I normally do but then they gave me a hug. The whole thing felt like an out of body experience. I can't remember the last time someone hugged me because they wanted to and not as a hello or a goodbye or because I paid them beforehand and it took everything in me to not just start crying.

I feel like I can't sleep and my minds a mess right now and I keep dissociating so maybe I'm really not okay. I'm seeing my therapist tomorrow so I'm taking care of myself but I just wanted to share I guess.

Comments

• @Ripley54566 Sometimes a small kindness can bring tears to our eyes if we are having a hard time. It’s good you are taking care of yourself and doing what you need. Hugs!

• You are ok. I have experienced precisely the same thing, although perhaps not quite as intensely as you. I know exactly that feeling about crying, or rather not crying. This dissociation and not sleeping and so on sounds to me like a normal reaction to an intense emotional experience. And if you're posting coherent posts on a forum - which you are - then there can't be all that much wrong with you, at least not in this moment.

There are a handful of things my parents have said to me that I treasure. One of them was a phrase of my mum's which she would use in appropriate circumstances when I was little. "Let the tears come" she would say. I've used it myself as an adult, with many people. It seems to help them. It's a good phrase. Let the tears come.

• @Ripley54566 That is so sweet, and I agree with @CuddleDuncan, let the tears come. Crying doesn't have to be a bad thing. πŸ«‚

~ Sunset Snuggles

πŸ¦„ Enthusiast 🏞 Travel Fiend 🐘 Animal Lover

• Genuine affection hits me the most. I can tell you have a good heart from your post, so always remember that you are a wonderful person.

• Tears are your eyes pissing so cry your name into the snow.

• It's a blessing to have such an experience. I hope more people do πŸ€— The world would be better πŸ™πŸ˜Š

• @Ripley54566 i can imagine what you're feeling. I can say the thought of something like that makes me hope I'd cry. But as a man of a certain age, my advice is to relish in having feelings that strong about anything. Some of us got to be old guys and are learning how to feel things now. Learning, longing to cry. Maybe i speak for myself, but i hope to experience something genuine like you describe and on top of that feel it so intensely that I'll never forget it. I think that's a super power that some people missed out on, or trained them self to subdue.

• Those hugs really shake me. I can distinctly remember one in my kitchen in Tucson, az. A friend was consoling me and I melted into her arms. She didn't let go after the first few seconds as people tend to do. She held on and I felt safe and cared for.

You were "seen" by this person. Some of us can feel energy. Some of us act on it. This person saw you and acted. And that is something to hold onto.

Thank you for sharing here and know that you're doing a wonderful job of taking care of yourself. 🌷

• @BashfulLoner I spent so many years of my life doing everything in my power to suppress tears...because I wasn't in a "safe" place to let them out. As a result, sometimes when I need to cry, I still can't.

~ Sunset Snuggles

πŸ¦„ Enthusiast 🏞 Travel Fiend 🐘 Animal Lover

• edited December 2023

In hospice I hug lots of families if they want it. Some have such an exhale of relief , especially when there is limited help and they have been bearing the brunt and in a constant state crisis mode. The burden of a caregiver cannot be equated into a tangible measurement, and often have the least amount of ability to be cared for themselves. It's often thankless , unnoticed, and forgotten. Just having somebody to sit across from them while they vent followed by a brief hug and acknowledgment of the things they are doing can be so encouraging , and can give the person the nudge they need to keep from breaking.

• @BoomerSpooner that was incredibly motivational.

• @stormydaycuddle Poetry in motion. 🀣🀣🀣

• @CuddleHugs01234 I like your avatar! I think I'll get my bitmoji avatar in a bit. Fun!

• @Minestrone101 Thanks! I like yours too! :)

• What a lovely experience you had, thanks for sharing it with us !!!

~ Happy Cuddling Everyone πŸ€— ~