What is your favorite streaming service

I'm giving this one a try. They specialize in independent and foreign films. There's only 30 films on the service at any given time which helps to not be overwhelmed by the amount of choices that Netflix has. A new film is added daily and you have 30 days to watch it.

http://www.mubi.com

Comments

• Spotify. Music over tv anyday. :)

• @stormydaycuddle

...and you gave me a hard time for using Tidal instead of Spotify. :P

• Right now it’s Hulu lol but I just finished the series I’m watching so I need to find something new now 🥺

• edited December 2023

Apple TV - not a huge selection of content but what they have is generally good quality.

I also have Netflix but I rarely watch anything on it. I would get rid of it but my daughter likes it.

• We automatically have Amazon Prime. My boyfriend's sister has shared her Netflix and Disney+ accounts with us. But we rarely watch any of them.

We don't own a TV, so it's just random weekends that we pull out my gaming laptop and watch a movie together. It's typically on Prime, because we're already logged in, and ain't nobody got time to log into Netflix just to find out the movie isn't there anyway. 🤪

Often, the movie we want isn't on any of the three platforms, so we either use digital rewards to rent it for free on Amazon, or we find it free with ads on YouTube.

~ Sunset Snuggles

🦄 Enthusiast 🏞 Travel Fiend 🐘 Animal Lover

🎄 Merry Christmas to my homies! ☃️

• @SunsetSnuggles - My Roku device will search all streaming services for a movie with one click. No need to search each individual one manually for a particular movie.

• edited December 2023

[…]

Free movies

Reported and reviewed. Removed link to streaming site due to concerns of piracy. [CharlieBear]

• @Mike403 Ooh, like Kayak for movies! How cool! ✨️

~ Sunset Snuggles

• @friendlyhugging - I'm on the company VPN and it blocked that site saying that it's risky. I went to it with my phone and it's just giving me ads for NSFW products.

• edited December 2023

@SunsetSnuggles - The remote control has a mic and I can speak either a movie title or what type of movie I'm looking for and it will list all of them across all streaming services. There's also tons of free ad supported movies on the Roku channel and many other channels either free or pay channels with any type of mainstream of niche content you're looking for. I love it.

They all have respective websites to access on a PC. A Roku makes it easy to discover them.

• @Mike403 I don't get those ads, but the movie downloads are legit

• @friendlyhugging - I looked it up and it looks like they steal content from other streaming sites and offer it there for free. I don't condone piracy.

• Pluto TV because I just like to throw on the live channels for background when I get home from work (unless my Seattle Kraken are on, then hello ESPN+)

If we're going by content library, probably Disney+ would be my favorite because I love Star Wars and the Simpsons.

• @Mike403 ...and neither you nor @stormydaycuddle seemed impressed at my mention of YouTube Music. lol

• @Mike403 That's awesome! 😃 A relative has a Firestick you can talk into the remote with. It would be cool if it didn't lag.

~ Sunset Snuggles

• The Vevo Roku app has live TV channels with music videos. It takes me back to what MTV used to be when they used to have music.

• edited December 2023

@Mike403 MTV2 Rock was a vibe circa 2004

• Mubi Go which is only a few dollars more per month than their standard service includes one free ticket per week to the movie of the week at a local independent cinema.

Only available in these cities right now: Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, New York City, Portland, San Francisco, and Seattle.

It will all be independent and/or foreign films. The service is designed to discover something other than mainstream media.

• Kanopy has been in frequent rotation for me.

• My local water utility.

• Taking notes over here as a cinephile I'm here for it.

Also, shudder is a great app if you're into horror movies of all types 😁😁

• @MissAdventurous - I signed up for Shudder and am watching the original Michael Myers documentary.

(a.k.a. Halloween 1978)

• Crunchyroll specializes in anime. They get brand new episodes shortly after they air in Japan.

• 🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️ truthfully, providers have been getting too comfortable with bringing back commercials. Otherwise The Criteron Channel is superb

• @HBAR - They are discounted rates with commercials. You still have the option to pay full price to remain ad free.

• Out of all the anime shows on Crunchyroll, this is the first one I picked:

• I definitely need to check out Mubi. One of my favorite movie video essay channels "Like Stories of Old" is sponsored by them.

Mine has to be Spotify as well. My life cycles around playlists to fit my setting - gym, focus time at work, cuddling, driving etc. They also now have audiobooks!

• Spotify for me. I love music and podcasts.

• I use Spotify the most... Due to my addiction to murder podcasts LOL (Morbid, Gruesome, And That's Why We Drink, Southern Fried True Crime, Casefile, to name a few).

TV depends on what I want to watch with kiddos or zone out for a few on the couch. Right now, the show Fargo on Hulu is hella interesting!