Mints or gum during cuddling?

edited December 2023 in General

Of course you wouldn't want to inconvenience your cuddle partner with a stinky breath so would you rather chew a mint flavored gum or suck minted candy? Otherwise how would you approach the breath issue especially during longer sessions?

Β«1

Comments

• I brush my teeth as close to a cuddle as possible. If I'm meeting them in public, I will either brush immediately before heading out, stop somewhere like Starbucks on the way, or do it at the meeting place (park bathroom, etc.). If I'm meeting a close friend at their place, I brush when I arrive.

If we eat, or it's a multi-hour session, I can always brush again at the location.

I always bring breath mints - chewing gum seems like something that might annoy some people. But truth be told, I almost never use the mints, as brushing your teeth (and tongue) addresses the root issue. 😊

~ Sunset Snuggles

πŸ¦„ Enthusiast 🏞 Travel Fiend 🐘 Animal Lover

• It depends on the person lol mints are nice for a refresher but gum if I know the cuddler is nice for my adhd mind and we are just enjoying the an easygoing session lol

• Neither I usually dab some toothpaste onto my tongue when i get up to pee

• Neither πŸ˜… gum makes me nauseous and I'm just not big on mints. If anything maybe a cough drop or a cream saver. Typically I just rely on brushing my teeth. If it's local I brush before I leave my apartment. If it's a session I'm traveling for I always have a toothbrush and toothpaste in my backpack. I definitely have no shame in brushing my teeth while driving if I don't think I'll easily be able to brush my teeth once I arrive πŸ˜‚

• Listerine strips right before laying down😎 not overpowering like mouthwash …. Sometimes the travel time dulls the pre brush cuddle

• [Deleted User]4TheSnugs (deleted user)
  • Either one! If gum, I try not to chew too much so I don't sound rude tho 😏
    I get dry mouth, so that's why....or take sips of water when needed. Just don't wanna disturb my cuddle partner too often to drink water 😜

• I use Colgate Wisps! And GUM Dental flossers! I am obsessed with dental hygiene though. I order them in bulk from Amazon (cheaper) and keep a few in my purse, in my car, in my office desk, etc. I also have chewing gum handy in my vehicles but always toss it before cuddling. I would never want someone chewing in my ear.

• Flossing daily is the biggest help. Also I brush and mouthwash right before the session

• @4TheSnugs hahaha
    No shame in good hygiene πŸ˜‚

• edited December 2023

Another reason I wouldn't chew gum during a session - I get overstimulated very easily (ADHD) people chewing is one of my triggers. Having my cuddle partner chewing gum would have me on edge, so I wouldn't do it myself.

• I resemble a farm animal chewing cud when I chew gum

• Gum-chewing in public is a disgusting habit. Please don't ever do it while you are cuddling somebody.

It's rude because you are eating while somebody else is not. On top of that, it's chewing without resolution which is just weird. The message it sends is very much one of selfishness.

Obviously that's not the case if the gum is helping with ADHD or anxiety or something. That's a totally different matter because there is a higher purpose.

And equally obviously if you smoke then gum-chewing might well be the way forward.

As for the bad breath problem, the starting point is to avoid problematic foods (e.g. garlic) for twelve hours before the session and give your teeth an extra brush immediately before it. Mouthwash too if you're worried. If you've done that right you won't need anything else unless you have a known issue.

There is no bad breath issue for longer sessions. Breath doesn't stink, or at least it's not supposed to. If you brush your teeth twice a day and still regularly have such an issue, seek medical advice.

I do sometimes carry mints if I don't have the opportunity to brush beforehand (i.e. if I'm going to the cuddle from somewhere else) but I wouldn't dream of producing them in front of a cuddle partner. The only circumstance I might produce a mint is if the other person's breath is unbearable but I don't know them well enough to say so, in which case I would offer a mint and say, "I'm afraid I'm always a bit paranoid about my breath during a cuddle, so if you don't mind I'm just going to have a mint. Would you like one?" If anybody ever does this to you, you should accept unless you are at home in which case you should say, "That's funny, I am too, but since I'm at home I can actually brush my teeth" and go and do it. Just in case.

Remember what minty breath really means (in the absense of a legitimate excuse). It means, "I don't respect you enough even to bother being clean, so I'm going to try to cover up the nastiness with a strong smell." Remember also that it mostly doesn't work - the real purpose of the mint is to make the mint-merchant feel better, not to fool the other person.

@JayB5619 I'm sorry if that all sounds a bit fierce, I'm really not having a go at you. For a new cuddler like you it's a perfectly reasonable concern.

But most of my posts, including this one, are really written for the lurkers, who vastly outnumber the forum participants on this and most forums. And I've been around the block enough times to know there is no shortage of unclean people out there who are only too keen for us to collude with them to make their lack of cleanliness acceptable. It isn't. Cuddling is intimate: you should be clean, not thinking about how to hide the dirt.

If you do have a medical condition which affects your breath, then you should discuss it with your cuddle partner beforehand. They might have one too, or have a patent solution to the situation which works really well for them. Certain cuddle positions may be encouraged or avoided. Most people in the cuddle world are very understanding, and there is a very good chance that your openness will allow them to express something which has been concerning them. Giving you both a better cuddle.

• I didn't read all the comments but am I the only one who can see gum falling into my hair?

• Haha! I've accidentally dropped gum in my hair before πŸ₯΄...but luckily not during a cuddle 😬

• Wow that's some serious gum splainin there . True gold and a gift to the brain. Man I am getting hit wirh a serious poops urge now.

• I brush my teeth immediately before a session, or if I don't have time, I quickly mouth wash.

• Brush and mouthwash before I leave the house, then pop a mint when I arrive, as my mouth is always dry.

• Most people don’t look at the bigger problem/cause of bad breath: FLOSSING

HUGELY IMPORTANT!

• I would never cuddle a woman who chewed gum. I had never encountered gum chewing until I moved to the US from England. It's a dreadful habit.

• And I'm sure their little gum chewing hearts are breaking as we speak

• πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Apparently gum is abhorrent across the pond. Who knew? I mean, I suggested against it as an American, but dang... πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

~ Sunset Snuggles

πŸŽ„ Merry Christmas to my homies! β˜ƒοΈ

• @SunsetSnuggles, I sure didn't know!

Chewing gum has been my go-to stim since I was a tiny little autistic hunting for coins on the pavement to pay for it. Cinnamon's my favorite, but I keep plenty of other flavors handy (and I'm not stingy about sharing).

That said, it's not going to do much for bad breath. In my experience, gum only covers bad breath for a minute or two, and not at all if your faces are mere inches apart. Mints are probably similar.

A travel toothbrush is a great tool to have handy if you can afford one (I can't spare even so little an expense, so I know it's possible to be that poor).

• @DaringSprinter Set up an Amazon wish list, I'll be your toothbrush mama. It's like a sugar mama, but cleaner. πŸ€ͺ

~ Sunset Snuggles

• @SunsetSnuggles: 🀣

My wishlist is actually mostly chewing gum, because I can't afford that either. I've got a stash from past years that's slowly shrinking. I enjoyed the last of the mint chocolate chip ice cream flavored gum just last week. So many neat flavors out there!

Fortunately I don't need a travel toothbrush, since I don't travel anymore. I just sit at home and snuggle Hogboblin.

• @DaringSprinter Oooh. I think toothbrush fairy might be a better title for me. πŸ§šπŸ»β€β™€οΈ However, now I know what to get ya...just don't spend the holidays in England! 🀫

~ Sunset Snuggles

• @SunsetSnuggles (aka The Toothbrush Fairy): Delightful! I'll have to update my wishlist. I haven't used that thing since moving, and Amazon may still think I live in Colorado.

• @DaringSprinter

You used to live in Colorado?! Did I know that? Darn, I still visit all the time.

~ Sunset Snuggles