for my Indian guys

[Deleted User]01001000P (deleted user)
edited December 2023 in General

For the Indian lads (originating from India or Bharat): what are your experiences of forming platonic connections with people?

Comments

• @Harry01996 You may want to rephrase your post to take out the dating bit. Anyway, for what it's worth coming from a white chick...I've had lovely interactions, cuddles, and fun memories made with several cuddle friends from India. ๐Ÿ˜Š

~ Sunset Snuggles

๐Ÿฆ„ Enthusiast ๐Ÿž Travel Fiend ๐Ÿ˜ Animal Lover

๐ŸŽ„ Merry Christmas to my homies! โ˜ƒ๏ธ

• [Deleted User]01001000P (deleted user)

I'm of Indian origin. The stereotype of South Asian men certainly does exist in people's prejudices out there. I wanted to know the experiences of other Indian men.

• @Harry01996 there is a lot of this going on tonight lol. Letโ€™s stick to our gender lanes lol.

• @Harry01996 I'm sorry you deal with that.

@jplemmon I forgot you're Indian. ๐Ÿ˜‚

~ Sunset Snuggles

๐Ÿฆ„ Enthusiast ๐Ÿž Travel Fiend ๐Ÿ˜ Animal Lover

๐ŸŽ„ Merry Christmas to my homies! โ˜ƒ๏ธ

• edited December 2023

@Harry01996 Depending on which stereotype they've hold closest, I'm either an evil terrorist or smart doctor/engineer. Talking to people usually quells some of their pre-held stereotypes. Liberal cities are a bit less judgy, perhaps. But country/rural areas are more interested in me because I look different.

• @sunnysideup I thought you were Roy Kent actually.

@sunnysideup fair. It's the idea that South Asian men are seen as having negative reputations in relationships and so on. I had a Pakistani friend talk about his negative experiences. So it had me thinking.

• edited December 2023

@Harry01996 In the United States, based on dating app statistics, south asian men are the least swiped racial group of men. Coincidentally, dating has been a huge challenge for me for various reasons (partially because I'm neurodivergent I'm learning), but I'm sure that racial stereotypes/favortism has played a part. I haven't had issues making friends and forming platonic connections broadly, though, apart from some stereotyping here or a "get out of town" there. For the most part human dynamics work just the same - be friendly, try to act extroverted in public, see what you can add to people's interactions, stick up for what's right, and good results usually follow. As always it's best to try to focus on the positive things and things that you can control.

@BoomerSpooner Sorry, I'm not familiar with Roy Kent?

edited December 2023

@sunnysideup thanks for your input. From my experience re friendships, I feel it's easier to form friendships with fellow South Asians (or even Southeast Asians) and people of African origin. They're more relatable. For example my gym coach is from Martinique and he treats me like a younger brother. It's this "i have you bro, and I'll care about you". I can't really say the same for others.

• Non Indian here. But everyone thinks I am. To the point where I had an identity crisis. I thought my life must be a lie how could all these people be wrong, haha. Anyway, Iโ€™ve been shown prejudice from women because they think Iโ€™m Indian. Itโ€™s all very strange.

• I agree with @sunnysideup. I also don't know who Roy Kent is, lol.

• A lesser known relative of Clark Kent

• edited December 2023

@Harry01996 Growing up, my friends were all different kinds of ethnicities, all colors, etc. I maybe gravitated a little bit towards east asians as there weren't too many brown people in my school and there was a kind of culture overlap there.

It wasn't until later in college that I realized and saw that people prefer to stick to people that look like them. I also then connected that with possible difficulty with dating. It didn't stop me from making friends with all sorts of people though. I once helped my white friend get into a black party where she was initially blocked entry due to her race (I wasn't denied entry, though).

It's kind of sad, but these days I realize that there's value to spending your social energy on people that look like you, as there are less hoops to jump. Doesn't mean you can't be friends with x or y demographic, as other things matter like culture, your political beliefs, your personality, character, principles, hobbies etc, but you're more likely to be accepted with less effort with certain demographics over others. Some cities are great at having various different people of different backgrounds co-mingle. I think it just takes time and multiple generations of co-existence to fully break down these kinds of social barriers.

• @sunnysideup Wise words and I am afraid you are probably right.

Now I have to look up Bharat, lol.

• Thank you for sharing your experiences @sunnysideup @Harry01996 I had positive experiences with many different cultures/countries of Asians throughout my life, whether classmates, friends or cuddle buddies. True, I have been negatively stereotyped throughout my life too. I strive to be my best person possible daily and understand the right type of people from every culture will understand. Everyone enjoy the weekend.

• I have had a few guys from India / Pakistan message me. I donโ€™t mind that at all. But lately they donโ€™t follow through with cuddling me and donโ€™t seem to be wanting to do public cuddles. But Iโ€™m still hopeful !

• "understand the right type of people from every culture will understand." So true, @SuperManCuddles .

• @achetocuddle ๐Ÿ’ฏThank you!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฟ

• @sunnysideup @achetocuddle Roy Kent was a legendary soccer player aging out on Ted Lasso:

• I appreciate this discussion

@sunnysideup sure thanks

• I would say 80% of my clients are Indian. I've had people think I'm half so idk if that's why or if it's just the area I'm in lol. But I've actually learned a lot about Indian culture and different languages / dialects spoken there and it's been so interesting! And I've had really great sessions!

• I like people from all countries for friendships. Itโ€™s who they are as a person, not their skin color or where they came from or where their family came from, that matters to me.

• @Harry01996 I have certainly made lots of connections and friends. Some good cuddle connections as well.

@radianthugs that's great