Traditions....Traditions! Christmas time is here

What are some old family traditions you still enjoy doing either by yourself or with family? Mine is singing along to classic Christmas songs, seeing Christmas lights/decorations in neighborhoods,playing tabletop games, and drinking either hot chocolate (Mexican hot chocolate is my favorite), or spiced hot apple cider, and seeing what would be a new or a reoccurring after that year activity.

Comments

• edited December 2023

Oo, love this! Christmas is my favorite time of year.

My boyfriend and I have continued a lot of traditions I grew up with. His family didn't have many besides opening gifts on Christmas Eve, which my family did as well, so believe you me, we still do that, with vigor! 😁

We have a toast with eggnog before we start decorating the house for Christmas, and listen to a special song. We get (at least) one new ornament, each year - I've really enjoyed making this personal to someplace we've traveled or some experience we've had, or a new place we've moved, that year! We watch Christmas moviiiies. We open the gifts on Christmas Eve, as mentioned. We drive around looking at Christmas lights, and eat barbecue chips while doing so. 🀣 We open our stockings on Christmas morning (the ornaments are in there!).

Some little traditions we've started up ourselves are sitting together drinking hot chocolate during the winter, calling family on Christmas Eve/Day on both our sides, we bake Christmas cookies together and bring them to family or co-workers (actually my sweet boyfriend's idea), we mail out hand-written Christmas cards to all our family, relatives, and close friends (yes, we're actually in our 30's, not 70's πŸ˜‹), and just after Christmas, we always go out of state (doesn't matter where, just somewhere we don't live) for New Year's Eve! πŸ₯³ This year, we're trying what might just turn into a new tradition - eating "a little Christmas fettuccine", in honor of one of my favorite Christmas movies, The Holiday.

~ Sunset Snuggles

πŸ¦„ Enthusiast 🏞 Travel Fiend 🐘 Animal Lover

πŸŽ„ Merry Christmas to my homies! β˜ƒοΈ

• @SunsetSnuggles sounds lovely indeedπŸ˜ŠπŸ™ŒπŸ’“

• @SunsetSnuggles Nice! I share a number of those same traditions. I still send out Christmas cards, too.

I don't do any decorating or listening to Christmas music until mid-December. I keep the tree, lights, and decorations up thru the Epiphany.

On Christmas Eve my daughter and I take turns reading "The Fir Tree" by Hans Christian Andersen while drinking hot chocolate.

• If someone becomes a part of my inner circle I end up purchasing them the perfect ornament. Then every year I host a Friendmas with everyone and when all my other guest leave those people from my inner circle stay so they can add their ornament to the tree themselves. I have the ornaments in a special wooden box my godfather carved for me when I was 18.

We also go and cut down our own Christmas tree and once it’s loaded to the car we drink hot cocoa and sit by the bonfire.

We mail Christmas cards every year and the kids decorate the envelopes.

I cook every year for the families living in my local domestic violence shelter and I read stories to the children as well as facilitate activities.

And lastly, though this is usually our after-Christmas but before New Years tradition, but my two best friends and their significant others come over for a game/movie night and sleepover.

• Yikes! I wish mine were so wonderful.

• It's not exactly Christmassy .... but I was reminded of this:

• @VaniRae31 You cook for the people in the domestic violence shelter? You are wonderful!

• @CuddleDuncan you caught my little reference, well done πŸ˜ŠπŸ€—