What is a secure platform to video chat?

I don't know if I trust google chat

Comments

• Google meet is my favorite but Ive also used zoom

• With both platforms a link can be sent without having to add the other person or share too much info. In my opinion Google meet has an easier user interface

• Most chats that I have done lately is Whatsapp.

• edited January 15

In matters of security, it really depends on your threat space. Are you worried about potential dangerous clients or law enforcement or a group of international military assassins? I know it sounds silly, but this is the question everyone should ask themselves when determining if something is secure enough for your needs.

If I was only worried about potential stalkers, I would set up a burner account that is completely disjoint from any of my IRL accounts on either Snapchat, Google meetups, or whatsapp. Whatsapp is generally better for End to End encryption, but it does belong to Meta so it isn't TRUE end to end like Signal. Just make sure you don't sign up to those accounts with any email/phone number that can be tied back to your real person. I tend to have several personas for individual devices that serve a specific purpose online. HOWEVER, I do recognize I am a tech obsessed recluse with too much time on my hands. :joy:

If you are worried about more advanced threat actors with capabilities like tapping your communications, you will need End to End encryption. This limits you to chat apps like Whatsapp, Signal, and Telegram. I prefer Signal, but they are under funding concerns and might not be available soon.

Lastly, if you are worried about the most advanced threat actors e.g. state militaries or well equipped PMCs, I would just give up, withdraw all your money and spend what last months you have on this earth in luxury and debauchery.

In general, I find zoom and snapchat adequate for when meeting new people on the internet. I like snapchat because it's easy to block/remove people and we can exchange silly pictures with one another. :tongue: I know some people don't like snapchat because of disappearing texts, and I used to be weirded out by that too, but I learned to appreciate it. A fleeting exchange captured only for the moment, retained solely in my mind and theirs. Instead of a written document to be ruthlessly scrutinized over and over again. My ADHD leads me to obsess over how things are phrased or written so I will constantly go back and revise or lament what was etched into the stone tablet of the internet. It is a preference though.

I hope this helps!

• I have used ZOOM without any issues
    Also have used Facebook

• Meet in a public place. Starbucks ☕️ Barnes & Noble… sit at a table and talk.. much nicer than video chat..

• edited January 15

@lesmis33 well done thanks.

What about Skype???
    All you need is an email address.
    I know Skype is the MySpace of comms, but wouldn’t this be the best? You could do voice and video.

• edited January 15

@lesmis33 You're so awesome. 😄

@SweetCuddler33 I concur.

I've never screened with a video chat before, honestly. I know many, many Pro's do this. It seems most use Zoom.

I prefer Skype over all other platforms, for communication, because I've been using it for so many years, it's always done everything Zoom can do, and the audio quality is literally far superior to a phone call - the person sounds as if they are right next to you.

Personally, I avoid video chats under most circumstances, due to self-esteem issues.

~ Sunset Snuggles

🦄 Enthusiast 🏞 Travel Fiend 🐘 Animal Lover

"Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man." ~ Benjamin Franklin

• You are most welcome! @WestsideMarc @SunsetSnuggles

As for my thoughts on Skype, it is in its death throes. I haven't used it since the early 2000s and it appears Microsoft is in the process to slowly EOL it. This usually means the software isn't getting the necessary security assessments during its development life cycle so many software bugs, well known or otherwise, are persistent. I don't trust it, but I am also more on the cautious side. It is probably fine as long as you practice good compartmentalization of your online presences.

• @SweetCuddler33 I wish everyone thought like you do. Maybe it’s not always possible, I get it. Huge investment in time, maybe distance. Face to face talking is becoming obsolete 😔 I don’t even see people in public sitting with each other put their phones down anymore. As nerve wrecking as it would be imo, I would always prefer face to face over text phone or video.

• I prefer meeting up in person, face to face, in real life.

• WhatsApp has what I like to call end to end to end encryption.

• Discord

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Worldwide_Intelligence_Communications_System

But there might be a few teeny tiny problems getting a reservation to using it.

There’s always smoke signals, Morse code in Gaelic or astral projection.