Pets away?

Is asking a Host to put there pitbull away while entering the house too much. They refused!

Comments

• I don't think it's too much. I would have not had the appointment if a simple request like that couldn't be accommodated

• I don't think so... though the answer may differ depending on who you ask... such as said host.

If it was a pro, then I really think she should really been more professional about it and tried to accommodate your reasonable request. Otherwise probably should've required of her or not at least refunded you some. However, if it was an enthusiast, then I'd charge it up to lesson learned the hard way, incompatibility and not wanting to deal with said person anymore.

• It's perfectly reasonable to ask for pets to be taken out of the room. Some people are allergic to pet hairs, others really don't like certain animals because of bad experiences in the past. And there is no shortage of pet owners who are delusional about their pet's behaviour. Or cleanliness, if it comes to that.

Ideally, this is something that is mentioned in advance, whether you have pets or are sensitive to them.

• No, I wouldn't think so. Especially if it's already taken a chunk out of your leg.

• Definitely a perfectly reasonable request. Though Pets is something listed in everyone's profiles, so if dogs, or specific breeds are a concern, you may want to check that section of peoples' profiles, and mention it to them, when planning to meet. I'm sorry they wouldn't put the dog in another area.

~ Sunset Snuggles

🦄 Enthusiast 🏞 Travel Fiend 🐘 Animal Lover

"Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man." ~ Benjamin Franklin

• What I do is I try to get the pets to like me now I might take a few bites or a few stitches because of it but I know it’ll make the cuddle session all worthwhile

• @apphill

Is asking a Host to put there pitbull away while entering the house too much. They refused!

Perhaps the Host in question experienced an unpleasant cuddle session or two, and the Pitbull is now her emergency, four-legged intervention plan.

• @apphill what was your reason for asking her to remove the dog from the room?

• She might have been thinking safety.. are you allergic or have an intense fear?

• edited January 21

I don’t like big dogs that could tear me apart, even though owners will say they won’t. I don’t trust big dogs or any animal that can kill me. I was bitten once from a big dog that I did know. And have seen too many dogs snap when owners say they won’t. And they weren’t being provoked.

So, for me, I don’t think it’s too much to ask. A pit-bull can be lethal, so if it’s for her protection and for staying in the TOS, a pit-bull does not qualify.

• edited January 22

I actually saw a pros profile saying that her dog was going to be a part of the cuddle; I thought that extremely inappropriate to impose their dog in a cuddle.

On top of that, animals can get very protective about a complete and total stranger being so close to their owner, both from a natural protection instinct as well as just an attention jealousy angle.

Plus who needs the hair, dander, smell and whatever else comes along with that in a cuddle. Don’t get me wrong I love animals big time, but 3’s a crowd here!!

• edited January 22

I agree that cuddlers should be respectful of their guests, and also that pets or other potential issues be discussed before meeting. For example, I’m super sensitive to smoke, so if I am meeting with a smoker I ask them to bring clean clothes with them. If they’d rather not, or think it’s rude of me to ask, then I’m not the right partner for them.

In this case, I think the dog owner was rude to not honor a request from a guest, and I think the guest should have been more forthcoming with their needs at the time the meeting was agreed to.

• From a dog owner,

I’m sorry you had to go through that. Personally I lock my dogs out of the room regardless. I figure you’re paying for my time and attention and unless you request the dogs be around. They get held until my guest is in the room at which point the door gets closed. I do have one client who asks for me to bring the dogs to his place and I enjoy that. They are good dogs but I also understand not everyone loves 200 lbs of dog in their face, and some days I can’t blame them. For me they are apart of my family but I want my guests to feel safe and relaxed in my home isn’t that what the sessions are partly about.

• This is a hell no for me. With the reports of so many unprovoked Pitbull attacks, if one is in the room and the host doesn't remove it, I'm leaving. Dogs can be overly protective especially if somebody is really close to their owner.

• Yeah, many dog owners say their dog doesn't misbehave. I had a neighbor try to tell me they had an electric underground fence and their dog didn't leave their yard. I said "It's in my yard right now. It roams the neighborhood all the time and I am the only one that will tell you."

I like dogs and big ones are my fave. Sometimes you just can't trust the owners tho. I would never spend time in a home with a pitbull.

• I agree with people who think it’s the safety aspect but pit bulls can feel a little terrifying. I put my dogs away. They are tiny but it still scares some people. I don’t know if that’s a bad thing in some cases but if I was in danger and someone had a chicken nugget my Bishon would turncoat soooo fast. She’d lead an intruder to me if it meant they’d give her the chicky nugget.
    The one that’s actually protective is a coward and has no teeth. So he’s more of a back up barker if you get into a fight. Like the friend that doesn’t get involved but yells encouragement from the sidelines.

• edited January 23

Ok, it seems I'm in the minority here. First, discussion on animals really should be had prior to actually going over to someone's house. Second, if it is the host's home, that means it is the animal's home as well - they have every right to be out and about if that is what they would normally be doing. Requesting that the animal be penned up is fine, but so is refusing the request.

If you absolutely do not want animals around during your cuddle session, then better to host yourself or meet up at a hotel/etc. It's a good idea to make it part of your normal vetting process (whether an enthusiast or pro/client) to discuss pets, allergies, etc. And if you're at someone's home and they rightfully refuse to put a household member away, then you are equally at right to enforce your boundaries by ending the cuddle and leaving.

Tl;Dr: many people with pets consider them family, the house is the animal's home as well, and both parties are to blame here for poor communication prior to meeting up.

• I think it's a safety issue for her. I had a large dog and would not lock him up as I had been requested before. It's his home and he protects me, he was allowed to see who was in his home. If there was an issue, go to someone else. My dog would tell me the type of person in my home by how he acted. That's a big safety thing for me. I'm glad she refused.

• @bellablu23 - As long as you make it clear during booking that there will be a dog in the room to give them the option to back out if they don't agree for whatever reason. Some people are allergic to dogs.

• Yes, please. Put your stinkin pit bull away. I'm a stranger cuddling your owner, that pit bull is going to pounce.

• It's not too much you asked, and not too much that they refused. Sounds like this should have been discussed beforehand.

Personally I am a pro dog person. I've met at least half a dozen pitties and they've all been wonderful. I am sure you can find a number that were abused and made to be aggressive though, the breed likely attracts people that will traumatize animals.

• I am wondering if the dog is a part of the family and the argument is they shouldn’t be locked up and away, then if you have small children you would let them watch and be in the same room?

• edited January 23

I have been wanting so much to get a dog again, I live in an apartment so I will definitely get a little one when the time is right. I have purposely held off because of cuddling though. I wouldn’t want to have to lock my dog in the bathroom (I live in a 1 room loft space) but I wouldn’t want to impose on a Cuddler by having my dog - or any pet - join us. That just seems inconsiderate to me.. How about a pet snake on the bed??? Yikes!
    Overall, I believe these things need to be worked out at the time of booking. The cuddle environment is very important Imo. And introducing without warning, a dog (or a child or other family member) suddenly into the picture doesn’t seem fair. I think we need to be totally transparent about what to expect in a session. And as a pro, if I felt like I needed a dog for protection in a session, I might rethink the whole cuddling thing anyway.

• @Mike403 of course, I have it in my profile when he was alive and I have my cats in there now and bring it up before sessions.

• A valid comparison BoomerSpooner. A spouse would be another possibility. Pets are important to know for allergy reasons. Inviting a third party needs to be discussed prior to scheduling. Also animals can be very aggressive toward a person if they smell another animal.

• @BoomerSpooner watch like it were some sort of voyeuristic show? No. But have free reign of their own home to move about and do what they would normally be doing? Absolutely.

And yes, it's important to discuss who all will be present in the home during the cuddle - it's a safety concern for everyone involved. So if one does not live alone, it's a good idea to disclose that spouse/housemate/child/pet may be present and may interrupt occasionally. Not everyone has the financial luxury to get a babysitter/pet sitter on short notice or at the frequency at which they cuddle. Especially if the cuddle session is between two enthusiasts, some flexibility may be necessary. If it is a pro cuddler hosting in their home, they need to disclose to the client so the client can make an informed choice before booking, or they can mutually decide to meet elsewhere.