Heck of day, would really like hugs

I’ll try to make this a more condensed version than what I’ve shared with others.

First you must know I’ve been on extended medical leave for a variety of reasons. Deal with physical disabilities, chronic pain, and chronic fatigue. Most of my outings are for medical related appointments. Don’t get out or do much activity. No family locally. Been tough.

Last night fire alarm went off at my apartment complex, and it was deafening loud. Only 2nd time it has gone off after living there in over 2 years, so know something is up.

Temps in the teens and ample snow on ground from recent storms. Very cold out.

After some time, overheard someone say it is not a fire but flooding. That’s unexpected.

Just inside the stairwell we are outside of, you can see water free flowing out of an apartment at the end (2 floors directly below me). Younger woman in hysterical tears on the phone.

I made the decision since no fire, to go back upstairs and put on my snow boots, which are supposedly waterproof. Given how cold it was, I probably should have worn initially.

I go into the dark apartment with a flashlight, see the crying woman, and ask how I can help. She points and tells me to clear off the floor of this closet and fill bathtub. I do that and then unload a bookcase made of particle board that was wet and in standing water that likely would collapse under that weight while wet.

Never seen anything like it before. Literally full scale waterfalls from ceiling fans, ceiling light fixtures, hvac vents, and smoke detectors. Standing water covering apartment, flooding the hall, the people’s place across the hall, and into the underground garage. Evidently the emergency sprinkler line burst. Seems would have happened last weekend when temps were -25 to -35 for several days, but apparently not.

I was there helping before all others arrived—the fire department, the roommate returning with her fiancé, the fiancé’s roommate, the on call maintenance, and people from leadership within the development company and property. I was the only resident inside helping move things.

Apartment manager arrived and spoke with residents impacted. They will take care of them. Restoration crew was in route.

I leave and can tell my body starting to flare. Get to my place and am winded. Snow boots weren’t meant for standing water so feet cold and wet. Unsure if wetness of under shirt is from water that came down and soaked through my winter overcoat and lined button up, or from sweat from all the work while wearing such attire for the cold.

Today was a struggle to move. So many many different pain flares. Was very difficult, but went out this afternoon. Got a card, a couple Target gift cards, and made a nice note. Spoke with apartment manager and asked she give the envelope to the ladies. She thanked me for helping and was sorry I was hurting so bad. Clarified that my level of hurting wasn’t due to being injured last night but the activity flared my existing problems. I hurt like crazy, but pleased I helped in the midst of a crisis. Hope my card and gift cards makes them smile and encourages them during this difficult transition.

But I certainly would like some hugs, positive touch, and gentle cuddles.

Comments

• Damn... that's rough, man. You sound so kind and I hope you find solace in your kindness. Sending you virtual hugs and I hope you feel better soon. Feel free to reach out if you need to someone to talk to and I'll try to talk with you when I can. 🫂

It's been insanely cold out here where I am lately and I'm sure the harsh weather hasn't been helping anyone, let alone someone with disabilities or certain conditions. Luckily it has gotten less cold indoors, so it's been okay for now.

• Wow, major hugs. That sounds so stressful.

• Reading your post, It’s amazing that you were able to help during such a disaster. That is so rare these days, I know the women were beyond grateful for you being there. Now please rest and focus on yourself and hopefully manage your pain. I understand how it feels. Here’s hugs from me. Know that you’re part of a community that cares, even when we can’t all meet face-to-face.
    🤗🤗🤗

• Thank you for the kind words and encouragement @Lovelight @stormydaycuddle @carrieanne. I appreciate it.

• That was quite an ordeal! I totally understand overdoing it and paying the price later. Sending hugs!

• Thank you, @SnugglyChelle. I appreciate it.

• As an update, this topic story was from this past Sunday night and made the post after trying to do the errands mentioned Mondays afternoon when it was a struggle just to move. Today being Thursday afternoon, I’m still hurting more than usual but doing better. Certainly haven’t been productive the rest of this week.

It doesn’t take much activity for certain areas of me to flare with pain, and Sunday’s chaos was a lot of activity so it really pushed my body too much. Also one of my many issues is that I’m slow to recover compared to most people.

I had a regularly scheduled physical therapy appointment Tuesday afternoon. As I hobbled to my therapist as she called me back she said, “ugh oh, looks like you have another story to tell.” I tell her all about while doing therapy, which was a far more gentle and restrained session than usual. Towards the end of session, I joked “at the start of the year you talked about me getting more active, well now I’ve come to you on two consecutive weeks about over doing activity wise and hurting as a result from unexpected activity that happened—hopefully each being a compelling story.” The week before went to event, unexpectedly made a name for myself, had some surprising encounters, and got invited to private event with media coverage. My therapist laughed and responded “yes, you have had great stories the last couple weeks, but let’s aim for an uneventful week this time and go back to our usual small talk.” I laughed and said that sounded good to me.

So cheers to getting back to my usually uneventful routine! 👍

• I get you! My physical therapist had been so happy with me "increasing my activity" because I was up to walking with my dog most days of the week for 30-45 min. Then, a friend asked me what I do for exercise, and I told him I walk with my dog. He said noooo that's not exercise. Yeah...yeah, for some of us, that's plenty of exercise! (Not that literally walking is all I can do, but I have to do quite low-impact and probably a lot less than he thinks is right, but he doesn't have my body!)

• @SnugglyChelle, great job! Cute dog. What breed? 30-45 minutes a day is a big feat. Is that once per day, or does that time represent multiple walks totaled?

I used to walk regularly. Now much of my daily steps are pacing around my place for short intervals throughout the day.