Expressions or sayings from your part of the world ๐ŸŒŽ

[Deleted User]ByeThankYouAll (deleted user)
edited January 27 in General

Hi ๐Ÿ‘‹ wondering, if you have a saying or expression from your part of the world ๐ŸŒŽ

One saying my great grandad ( mid /bit east side of EU:), thought me was the way he used to judge if he had enough to drink and was time to go home ๐Ÿก from his village pub:

" If I can stand up, I will have another one. If I can not, I shall now walk home".

Local legend says that the pub people often put him onto his horse cart and the horses always found the way home๐Ÿก!!.

Do you have this saying in your country too, or some saying which is very typical of your area?

I'm any case, lovely day to you ๐ŸŒž

ยซ1

Comments

• That store is just up the road โ€œ a piece โ€œ , I often wondered just how far is a โ€œ piece โ€œ
    That guy is โ€œ dum as an empty coal bucketโ€, I often wondered could he be smarter if the coal bucket was full.
    In My home town, if you asked about a liquor store they would send you to the โ€œ Polk store โ€œ
    If you did a favor for someone and they offered to pay you, you would say
    โ€œ Iโ€™ll charge it to the dust in the road and let the rain settle it โ€œ

• In my area ours would be the following:

Freeze!
    Get on the ground!
    Put your hands behind your back!
    You have the right to remain silent!

• [Deleted User]teerex (deleted user)

Cut off the lights.
    It's hotter than a snake's ass in July.
    Shut the front door.
    Houston, we have a problem.

• [Deleted User]ByeThankYouAll (deleted user)

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜Žโœจ๏ธโœจ๏ธโœจ๏ธโœจ๏ธโœจ๏ธ you guys made me smile and also laugh out loud from my heartโค๏ธ ๐Ÿ’™ ๐Ÿ’œ brilliant @Waynewv , @lonelytauros , @teerex ๐Ÿ˜

Have your good selves a Superb lovely Saturday ๐Ÿค—๐ŸŒ„โœ…๏ธ๐Ÿซ‚๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŒž

• This salsa is made in New York City?!?! Get a rope.

I just heard a good saying, but it was not from my area, but from an American story: ll best revenge is to live well"

I always thought this means that that revenge kind of feelings destroy our mental, emotional, even physical selves, result in poor concentration...

Learning from that, I guess, if we ever think or feel like someone "done us wrong" , perhaps best to never think of that person, but focus on how to get the best resolution without hurting anyone.

We all humans, I heard " we do things through either fear or love.." ... uh, very philosophical for a Saturday..

So, quickly let's focus back on @TxTom 's salsa in NYC saying, love it๐ŸŒž๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธโœ…๏ธ๐ŸŒ„

• Not mine. It actually comes from a Pace Picante Sauce TV commercial from the 1990s. But I like it.

• [Deleted User]teerex (deleted user)

I thought of some more...
    Happier than a pig in $#'t. ๐Ÿฝ
    So good it makes you want to slap your momma.
    Bless your little heart.
    That just burns my biscuits.
    Madder than a cat on a hot tin roof.

• A local talk radio show host says this when calling out someone's BS:
    "That sounds like something that comes out of the North end of a South-bound mule."

@teerex now those made me laugh out loud ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜

@TxTom that's a very sophisticated way of saying it.. ๐Ÿ˜„โœ…๏ธ๐ŸŒ„๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ’–

• edited January 27

Es gibt kein schlechtes Wetter, nur schlechte Kleidung
    There is no bad weather. Only a poor choice of clothes.

One of my favorite German idioms. It really resonates with me in many ways. The "function over form" motif speaks to my practical nature, but also there is an acceptance of things around you that are out of your control, in this case the weather, and focusing on the things you can control, your clothes. The choice you can control makes the thing you can't more pleasant. I think about it a lot when picking my daily battles.

• @teerex I love southern sayings! My favorite is "like hell on a bug in a chicken coop." I usually heard it when someone is bringing a wrathful scorn but with a playful subliminal nuance.

• @lesmis33

"function over form"

Totally.
    Probably why I always liked steampunk. And have always been a fan of the (prematurely retired) Space Shuttles.

• have always been a fan of the (prematurely retired) Space Shuttles. - @TxTom

It was disheartening when NASA did that. Now I fear for the ISS as well. I feel that until we can get cost effective mechanisms to break orbit, space travel isn't a high priority. :(

• Cost isn't an issue, we've just given up the will. We have voluntarily given up our externalized explorer/conqueror ethos in favor of an internalized victim/grievance ethos. Can't explore space with that kind of collective mentality.

• And to bring it back to the topic at hand, at NASA they have a saying, "measure twice, cut once."

• Cost isn't an issue, we've just given up the will. We have voluntarily given up our externalized explorer/conqueror ethos in favor of an internalized victim/grievance ethos. Can't explore space with that kind of collective mentality.

agree 100%

Now, as to my favorite sayings round these parts

"Well, bless your heart!" (Texan for "wow, ain't you stupid?" or variations thereof)
    "Get off my lawn!" no explanation needed
    "You can call a tail a leg, but that damn mule still only has four legs"

๐Ÿ˜„ never heard your 1st and 3rd one, @Jubal, made me laugh ๐Ÿ˜ƒ oh," bless my โค๏ธ" ๐Ÿ’™

Love the "measure twice " one @TxTom I guess we could apply it to many things in life, eg think things well over before I act... ๐ŸŒž

• Canadian here ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

When we say yes, we say โ€œoh yea no for sureโ€

Gotta pay some toonies and loonies to get a Two Four and a double double

• @lonelytauros ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ (sounds pleasant to visit๐Ÿคฃ) (youโ€™ll just need to come here)

What came to my mind was โ€œyโ€™allโ€. It means โ€œyou allโ€ of course. :)

From a definitely southern girl, yโ€™all.

• @Sheena123 You Canadians put "eh" at the end of every sentence, eh?

• Fine as frogs hair

Happy as a puppy with two peckers

And the coup de grasโ€ฆ

Itโ€™s not the heat, itโ€™s the humidity.

• It's not me. It's you.

• @TxTom I do!!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ I live down here in Florida every six months (snowbird here) and sooooo many people point that out ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿฅฒ๐Ÿคฃ

• @CuddleHugs01234 and Yโ€™all ๐Ÿ˜‚. Iโ€™m sure a lot of us have seen this tower on the interstate going thru Kentuckyโ€ฆ.

• edited January 28

In Colorado we have a saying "If you donโ€™t like the weather, just wait ten minutes." It's usually true, we could get snow in the morning but it will probably be sunny by the afternoon.

It's not really a saying, but people here tend to leave the "n" out of mountains, like "Oh I'm going up to moutains to ski this weekend" which drives me a little crazy.

• A couple of I am familiar withโ€ฆ
    โ€œHe is educated beyond his intelligenceโ€ - code for someone who has an advanced degree but lacks common sense (trust me, such people donโ€™t know who they are).

โ€œItโ€™s about another half mile further up the trailโ€ - response to any question from another hiker about any feature on the trail system (trail head, ranger station, etc..) ๐Ÿ˜‚

• @JohnR1972

โ€œHe is educated beyond his intelligenceโ€

ROFL. As someone currently pursuing a PhD I can't properly express how true this is. Come to think of it, maybe I'm educated beyond my intelligence as well. ๐Ÿคญ

• "The mountain is out!"

It's our way of saying it's not raining in Western Washington.

She's a beautiful beast!