Pew Pews?

I have been noticing lately an increase in the number of pew pews in profile pics. What are everyone's thoughts about this?

Comments

• The good thing here is, if you do, or don't, want to meet with someone based on what you see in their profile pictures, you can choose. Lots of people use or own firearms for a variety of reasons, from putting food on their own table or their neighbor's table to self defense to competition to fun. Some people don't like firearms. To each their own.

If you think someone's pics go against site policies, feel free to report them.

• I think childish

• It's an immediate no for me. I know too many parents who no po get have their children with them because of these items. Somebody needing to flaunt them tells me
    enough about them to comfortably exclude them from my life

• Is gangsta cuddle a thing?

• As a gun owner, I see no need to post a photo of my guns on a cuddle site.

• edited January 30

When I see a cuddler who is comfortable enough to post a photo of herself while shooting, or even just holding a firearm, it tells me that she'll be much more comfortable around me than some other cuddlers would. So it is useful. I've shared photos of myself with cuddlers on here where I'm in outdoors settings - so a photo with a rifle etc would be a natural representation of me (not a forced pose trying to look badass or something, just out in the woods with a slung rifle, or hiking with a holstered sidearm).

I've had cuddle sessions with a few hoplophobes. It was hard to have a conversation when our worldviews were so widely different.

• @Jubal I agree.

It's incredibly empowering for a woman to be familiar and skilled in the safe use of firearms.

• This is convo getting very close to the political issues, but I'll just say that women are far far more likely to have a gun in the home used against them than in self defense. It's not empowering, it's endangering. Not just to them, but to others in the home. That's not opinion, that's data.

https://time.com/6183881/gun-ownership-risks-at-home/

• I saw the "pew pews" title and thought this might be either a church thread of something to do with Star Wars and how bad a shot the Stormtroopers are.

• Personal safety is not a political issue.

And your "data" is wrong. Being familiar with and skilled in firearm use greatly increases one's own safety.

• Thread locked in 3...2...1...

• I hold a concealed carry permit (and do carry often at work). But I CHOOSE not to carry, or bring any firearm to a cuddle. Even when I have cuddled with the person previously. I feel it can create a an awkward situation should it be seen.
    Also...have had met several on this site who are familiar and trained in firearm use.
    To each their own.

• Wow @TxTom that's some solid data rebuttal you got going there. Let me guess..."More Guns Less Crime" by John Lott?

• @jplemmon I did not rebut with any data. You must have confused my comment with someone else's.

I am not addressing the ratio of guns to crime.

I was commenting on personal safety. To claim that the familiar and skilled use of firearms results in less personal safety is a logical absurdity.

• @jplemmon

Didn't Obama Direct CDC to study gun violence and get the surprise of his life?

A minimum of 500,000 self defense uses of guns annually, perhaps up to 1.5 million.

I've been uneventfully carrying daily for 12 years. I leave it in the car for ALL cuddles, new or old, repeaters or not.
    Doesn't go into my various doctor offices, post office and a small number of select places.

If I thought I might need it at a cuddle, I would NOT go there.

In Michigan, the State Police keep statistics on violent crimes for two demographics. All Law Enforcement people and CPL holders like me. EVERY YEAR, more crimes are committed by cops.

• edited January 30

@natickben
    I was not going to post in this thread until I saw the link you posted. That article is “technically true” but very misleading. The majority of firearm related deaths in the United States are suicides (roughly 65% but that varies year by year). So I agree, if a person has suicidal ideation, keeping a firearm in the house is a bad idea. But for everyone else, those statistics are extremely misleading.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/04/26/what-the-data-says-about-gun-deaths-in-the-u-s/

• @TxTom got it. So personal opinion right? Not "wrong data".

• Time magazine’s comprehensive study “Homicide Deaths Among Adult Cohabitants of Handgun Owners in California, 2004 to 2016” proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that female homicide victims did not survive.

• As a firearms instructor and concealed carry holder, I am not uncomfortable with pictures of guns in profile pictures. Guns are inanimate objects. They do not have intent. They are not going to “decide” to shoot me.

People have intent. A person may decide to hurt me with or without a weapon. If I choose to use a firearm to defend myself it is because I am comfortable to do so.

As others have said, if guns in profiles concern you, choose not to engage with those members. That’s a decision that can be made for oneself and doesn’t need the blessing or censure of anyone else here.

• Honestly I thought this post had something to do with this guy, lol. My kids used to watch him and these guys, which are hilarious.

• @Vivianne if a gun is shown in a profile about cuddling I would suggest a mental evaluation.

• @jplemmon I may have had a traumatic incident with a rabid koala bear. Should you take your picture down, or should I just choose not to engage?

• @Vivianne ridiculous analogy.

• People have the right to carry guns, post pics of them and even express their love for them. And people also have the right to not cuddle those people and even disapprove of them. Seems pretty simple and one would expect adults to accept this without shooting koalas.

• @JohnR1972

Curious where the justifiable homicides (by police or ordinary citizens) were in the pie chart?

• Having zero clients should take of the problem I guess .

• I would never use these

• Whew talk about overcompensating for something …

• @MisterPatience
    The CDC classifies anyone intentionally taking their own life as a suicide and anyone intentionally taking the life of someone else as a homicide. However, in some cases a homicide may be legally justified such as in the case of self defense. Depending on the data source, police action shootings are sometimes broken out from other homicides.

Any unintentional taking of a life with a firearm would be classified as an accident. Also, from time to time a body is found under “suspicious circumstances” where police are unable to determine if the deceased died as a result of suicide, homicide or accident.