Panic Attack(s)

Has anyone else ever experienced a panic attack while cuddling (of any kind, platonic/romantic/etc.)?

Comments

• I’ve never experienced one at all.

• Seems like the last place on Earth one would have a panic attack.

• No, but people undergoing therapeutic touch on a scale as intimate as cuddling or massage therapy may progress to a somatic emotional release which can include releasing blocked or built up emotions. Out of hundreds of therapeutic massage sessions, I experienced 2 somatic emotional releases. Once when I was a student with a colleague in the middle of class during a session. 2nd was a cuddle partner. Transference can be a thing also.

• CelestialTouch: Thanks for sharing. That's interesting.

• I have had some kind of anxiety immediately after a cuddle or on the drive home. Not always pleasant but it passes in 1-2 days.

• edited January 31

Yes. I think my brain associated the feeling of being touched with abuse.

• Awww, I'm sorry that happened to you! I have had panic attacks, but never during a cuddle. They're not fun!

• So many reasons why that could happen! If you’ve experienced that, it makes sense @sometimes88
    Have you run into a high level of anxiety while cuddling? I have. It brings up some attachment issues for me. I get the best of both worlds - anxious and avoidant at times - both of which can elicit anxiety reactions. But it can be a gift if we can remind ourselves of the safety that is present - and make sure that the cuddling container is set up well with clearly expressed boundaries and intentions. Helps me to practice taking pauses - taking space - so I know I can (and that the other respects my needs).

• @TxTom panic attacks may occur in conjunction with "Cuddling without telling your SO". Not a strange time.

• I haven’t had one during a cuddle but I did have one and immediately cuddled after it passed.

• @TxTom panic attacks may occur in conjunction with "Cuddling without telling your SO". Not a strange time.

Anyone who has panic attacks or knows someone who suffers from them knows cuddling doesn’t magically remove them. The one person I knew could probably easily suffer them during a cuddle because she would sink deeper into her thoughts and fears. Panic attacks are not something one shuts off with a flip of a switch. I do not suffer from them and have never had one but I have witnessed a few one of which finished with a three night stay at a mental facility for observation. They can be truly frightening to witness and leaves you powerless to do much to mitigate the crisis.