dystopia genre

[Deleted User]01001000P (deleted user)

Are there any dystopia genre fans

Comments

• I enjoy them very much 😁😁

• [Deleted User]01001000P (deleted user)
    edited February 6

Yea I was just playing a game and very much enjoyed the path

• Ironic timing. This week I have been working on a side project to create a taxonomy of dystopian future books and movies based on what led to that future.

Some DF movies (12 Monkeys, V for Vendetta) are ushered in due to a pandemic. Others are brought about by war (Hunger Games, Mad Max, The Road Warrior). Still others are triggered skyrocketing crime rates (Escape from New York, Demolition Man, Running Man)

The ones I find most interesting are the ones that are triggered by technology run amok (iRobot, West World, Brave New World) or the unchecked growth of a bureaucratic surveillance state (1984, Minority Report) or an over reaction to fears of overpopulation (Soylent Green, Logan’s Run).

• [Deleted User]ElijahFrisbie (deleted user)

Just got done reading Neuromancer recently and it’s insane how much it influenced all of Sci-fi and even the real world. In the afterward of the book they talk about how it possibly lead to the creation of the internet. And 1984 just gets scarier and scarier the closer we get to it.

• What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us.
    -Neil Postman

• [Deleted User]01001000P (deleted user)

I need to read necromancer and pandora's brain. Ngl, masks off I actually like these dystopias for a different reason - the same I admire the works of Nick Land (“Coldness be my God").

• @Spud424
    Neil Postman nailed it. I believe that quote was from the forward of his book “Amusing Ourselves to Death”. I just re-read that book about a year ago. Ad old as it is, it remains incredibly relevant today.

• edited February 7

@JohnR1972 @Spud424 Great summaries!