Safety tip: When 911 doesn’t work

Earlier this week several states experienced disruptions with their 911 emergency call center networks.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/widespread-911-outages-reported-least-states-officials-say

I did some independent checking and found out temporary disruptions to the 911 phone system are much more common than I would have imagined and that last year several Indiana counties had short (1-6 hour) service outages but because they were brief and often in areas with relatively low population density, they did not receive statewide or national attention.

The 911 system is completely separate from “regular” phone system to law enforcement and emergency services so if one goes down the other is likely to still be functional. In addition, about 9% of the United States does not have 911 service and must rely on “regular” phone numbers to call police or emergency services (fire, ambulance, etc.).

It is a good habit to look up the regular phine numbers for emergency services where you live and work and put those numbers in your phone just in case you ever need assistance quickly and the 911 system is down. It is also a good idea to find and store those numbers for wherever you are traveling on business or vacation.

Comments

• @JohnR1972 posted: "It is also a good idea to find and store those numbers for wherever you are traveling on business or vacation."

Oh my gosh, I had the worst nightmare a few weeks ago that something horrific happened to my dog while traveling out of state, and even within the dream I was berating myself for not having looked up a pet hospital near me so I would have a plan of action if there was an emergency. It was the worst feeling.

While we're at it, please don't call 911 unless it is actually an emergency. If you need to report something to the police that requires attention but is not an actual emergency, Google your town's "non-emergency police" number. They will dispatch it appropriately.

~ Sunset Snuggles

🦄 Enthusiast 🏞 Travel Fiend 🐘 Animal Lover

• edited April 19

@JohnR1972 My concern is that communications technology is ever more vulnerable, and ever more fragile. And that there will be a gradual brain drain leaving us an inability to maintain it.

Edited to add clarification: Communication technology is ever more complex, ever more fragile, and ever more vulnerable.

• The fiber optic lines were cut by SMF Sacramento Airport yesterday. And many flights were postponed. :(
    Midwest has had tornadoes 🌪️ rolling in with all the damage.

Look up your county, state and federal contact information and FEMA and Red Cross chapters.
    Write them down and/or go to a public safety fair and get the laminated document.
    Learn whom has justification over certain areas like Highways versus airports ect and get all the numbers.
    You will need them ICOE.
    Many govt agencies will get overwhelmed ICOE & could relay other contact phone numbers. But you’ll need the primary main number to get this info.

Some might still have the request links on their websites for tangible materials.

Have multiple Evac routes and know the terrain. This is why I love my 🧟 zombie apocalypse motorcycle and yes a backpack ready to grab and go.

Ensure you have meds, water and food because it’s going to be rough if you are not prepared.

Gas and or a way to charge your transport is key as well.

May the odds forever be in your favor.

• Thank you @JohnR1972 for the reminder.
    Being prepared ICOE and managing your responses ICOE is half the battle.

• Everyone's situation is different. But there are many, many advantages to staying put, if you are able to do so.

Moving about introduces all sorts of additional challenges and problems.

• @TxTom in the event you have to get out of the area, have a plan of action. But you could stay put. It does vary on the situation.
    Being prepared for society fubar is key.

• Copper theft is huge right now especially in some parts of the country. Fiber cables are vulnerable as well because they are often mistaken for copper. Thieves recycle the copper but the fiber is worthless. Communications are definitely vulnerable.

• @TxTom "will be" a brain drain?? Oh, I beg to differ - our country is in the middle of one now.

• @SunshineHug, having such a plan and a zombie apocalypse motorcycle ready makes you awesome!
    👍

• I’d also suggest having a pocket flashlight to always carry with you.

Have a family member that does disaster preparedness trainings. Last thing you want to be is in a place not familiar when the power goes out. Yes, cell phones have lights, but can drain battery quickly, and if an emergency or an extended period you would rather have battery to use your phone for other needs.