Eye opener for all humans;

edited July 2017 in General

If you havent already I reccomend checking out the movie "what the health" on netflix and making a lifestyle change lol.
I felt the need to share because it really was a experience to watch this, a huge wake up call to the american food system that is legit killing us daily. It made me want to share with my family, friends and strangers ao they can too have a better understanding of whats going on in our food system.

Comments

• [Deleted User]Dekooning (deleted user)

Thank you lady...

• edited July 2017

I've just finished reading Plant Paradox by Steven Gundry. This was an eye opener for me and I already have an existing interest in health, nutrition and longevity. So I'll jump in and give this a recommendation too while we're on the topic.

• Il chexk that out too mark, thanks for the recommendation! ^~^

• There is also a documentary called Food choices that kind of go along the aame topics as "what the health" but i enjoyes watching it because it was just more confirmation for me :)

• I am strange and weird.

I have often been accused of being part alien. After you read this, you will probably think so as well. Heck, I even think so. My genetic makeup seems to work differently from most everyone else.

Other than neck, back, and knee injuries, I am extremely healthy. I have what I consider to be an exceptional immune system. It is not that I don't get sick, but when I do, it is after everyone around me has been sick for a while, and I get over it generally much quicker than anyone else. My blood pressure is on the low end of normal. I have a very good cholesterol levels. My doctor tells me I am perfect. Of course, that really helps with my perfect ego, as well. ;)

All of that despite the fact that I am allergic to chlorophyll, and can't eat green vegetables. I am also lactose intolerant. I eat a lot of eggs, usually cooked in butter, but sometimes in coconut oil. The thing that bothers me about people being down on eggs is that they never tell the full story. Yes, eggs have a lot of cholesterol, but they also have lots of lecithin, which handles the cholesterol. I have some milk with my cereal, and live with the consequences, but not too often. I also eat small amounts of ice cream, but otherwise avoid dairy. Cheese really does me in. I eat a lot of bread, grains, and other starchy foods, and eat meat when I can afford it, especially bacon and sausage. I love sweet foods, but avoid all artificial sweeteners. My body has always made the best use of whatever nutrition I manage to give it.

I am 72 years old, and ever since I was a little kid, I have always said that I am going to live to be at least 120, and maybe to 150. I still strongly believe that. All of this is to say that the material in What the health doesn't necessarily apply to everyone.

<3 Jim

• Hugs and cuddles from NZ good on you Jim.
    Love peace and friendship John and his trees Auckland NZ.

• Hey jim! While thats all wonderful and great now for you, who knows how youll be in a few years or right before you pass away, you cant say they are wrong until fully proven otherwise, and are dead from something. Lol :P at least thats my opinion. My family are also nonbeleivers of this theory, and its literally impossible to prove them otherwise until something does happen to them. Id hate to be right for their sake, however I wont be taking any chances for myself and when I have children :)

Much love,
    B

• @Brandi I didn't say I don't believe in the theory. For most people, I am sure it is a good thing, so I am not saying they are wrong in general. What I did say, was that it doesn't necessarily apply to everyone, especially me. I really appreciate you making it clear that what you said is your opinion. There are so many people who state something as if it is a fact, when it is only their opinion.
    <3 Jim

• edited July 2017

I'm personally convinced it is wise to follow a predominantly plant based diet that our bodies have evolved to tolerate. I'm ok with occasional meat too but with the understanding that we didn't evolve to consume animals that lived on corn. The same goes for dairy. You are what you ate, ate.

• [Deleted User]stillness (deleted user)

You might be interested to read a fact based analysis before taking it all as gospel.
    https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/what-the-health-a-movie-with-an-agenda/

• Thank you, stillness. I appreciate the link, even though the reviewer was just as skewed the opposite direction as the movie was in its own direction. I think the truth might lie somewhere in the middle. I very much liked the part of the review that said, "pointing out the variability of dietary practices and the need to individually assess nutritional adequacy."

<3 Jim

• edited July 2017

This is one of the reasons I have an interest in nutrition. There is so much conflicting information that it is very difficult to arrive at solid conclusions. I don't know much about the movie above but I would always approach any nutritional claims with healthy scepticism. It seems like you can find scientific studies to backup almost any position in this field. You just have to keep absorbing more and more information and hope it will generally steer you in the right direction.

My favourite resource for looking at the significance of the studies behind the claims is Examine.com.

• Thank you for that reference, Mark.
    <3 Jim

• [Deleted User]NJCuddleDevil (deleted user)

@Mark I completely agree. Trying to study nutrition becomes a rabbit hole that is inescapable. I always say just eat as much variety as possible, listen to your body, and use some common sense. It's hard to know who to honestly trust anymore because everyone is trying to sell you something.

• I agree that everyone is trying to sell something and we shouldnt buy into everything anyone says...but I guess I just see it through a much bigger perspective.... eating meat like we do on such a mass scale isnt normal. It shouldnt be as easy as it is to get meat.

Hunting back in the day when food was scares and thinking god gave us meat when there was nothing else to survive on makes sense to me... but today? with how easily accessible other foods such as veg, fruit and rice and beans are, there is no real need to keep going and actually raising animals just to kill them..

there have been several studys saying vegan diet is comparably as healthy as meat eating, if not more healthy because there is less fat and they are injected with a bunch of crap before being given to the stores.. So why not choose to give a vegan diet a try before shutting it out and thinking its the end of the world..

I cant see how anyone could think its 100% ok to raise animals just to murder them to eat a crappy greesy burger. Not feelimg even the slightest bit guilty.

Being informed on the animals situation as well as the potential harm it may do to our bodies genuinly helped me make a change.. I understand turning around and facing the other way and not researching anything on the topic because its easier to not think about it, and its far easier to distance yourself from feeling empathetic to a cow when its on your plate, been there done that, but in the end when I reeeeally thought about it, it doesnt feel right in anyway.
    I also thought of it in bible terms(sorry to anyone who many not be religious) but; if today there was a bible story involving us I have a hard time believing it would end well....

it would go something like this: god gives us intelligence, weapons, easy access to farm animals and the power of choice. He says the animals are ours to eat, or we can eat off the land.. We choose to kill the animals (that he or she created)..we chose animals and As the time goes on we get more and more greedy. We want more meat... we want the flavor of the animals so we continue and farm them. We keep them im awful environments with the mimdset that they are gonna die anyways, so who cares right) ...:(

So we begin breeding more and more..people are making a huge profit on meat so now its for money, and food....we kill about 4 cows a second.... A second!! The blink of an eye and four beings are gone. Wiped away to be served.

There are studies saying Eating meat may be the cause of diseases that we have now had for years and years... Passing on the habbit to our kiddos and the cycle repeats. Diabetes, liver or heart problems, different types of cancer, obesity and who knows what else..

Even certain states are suffering; animal poop, and carcasses flooding the entire state they live. Sometimes the smell so bad they dont even want to leave their homes. But were not around it, states away so we dont think about it...

We continue to die from these diseases not even comsidering the possible connection between the two.

In short god May be punishing all those who kill these poor animals by giving us slow suffering diseases..

Hopefully I dont come off like a crazy person. I just think a lot and felt like sharing a possibility :)

• @Brandi You don't sound like a crazy person. You sound like a person with a very strong opinion, and you want everyone to know it. I happen to think that your opinion doesn't leave any room for different body types, such as I mentioned in my earlier post, and is therefore not completely right. There are other viewpoints that are just as right (and wrong) as yours, because people have different body types.

You say that meat is easy to get, whereas it really isn't for someone on as tight of a budget as I am. The cost of meat has gone out the roof as far as I'm concerned. I only buy it on the rare occasions when I find it on a very good sale. Even hamburger meat costs. almost as much as a steak now. Pork chops are generally the best prices.

As for the way animals are treated, I have to agree with you that it is pretty deplorable. However, when it comes to me eating food that my body needs, if an animal has to die, so be it.

I've read stories of how Native Americans would ask an animal to sacrifice itself for him and his people, and pray for its spirit to have a happy afterlife. That seems a much more sane way of doing things than our current practices. I was raised on a dairy, and we always killed and butchered our own meat. I also think that is more sane than the way things are now.
    <3 Jim

• [Deleted User]fastboy1359 (deleted user)

Beware of that article posted by Stillness. If you want research-based, verifiable info on nutrition, health, and diet, read "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Furman, and 'The China Study."

• [Deleted User]NJCuddleDevil (deleted user)
    edited August 2017

@Jim The practice of giving thanks for sacrifice is also modernly practiced by some meat eating Buddhists. I would like to be a vegetarian but I'm just not ready to give up meat yet. I do have days where I go meatless by choice.

• [Deleted User]StarFlower (deleted user)

@ all vegans: I was vegan for 3 years (till last April) and loved it. All of a sudden I started craving meat, though. Now with a very active full-time job, I still mainly eat at least vegetarian but do occasionally eat some meat.

Be careful to get enough B12 and your omegas. Dr. Michael Greger gave a great, humorous talk on this called "40 Year Old Vegan Dies of a Heart Attack":

Actually the B12 and omegas advice is important for everyone, but especially for vegans.

The other thing I'd like to mention is if you have any health concerns, you need to not just "eat vegan" but tailor your diet to assist your health. I cannot eat much in the way of raw cruciferous vegetables, strawberries, peaches, or legumes due to a thyroid issue, for example.

I wish everyone happiness on their health journey! <3