Can't sleep

edited January 2018 in General

Anybody else here find themselves up very late into the night with too many thoughts? I personally always do this but am also up at crazy hours since I'm retired and thus have no job to wake up to, lol.

Comments

• I'm up. Not so much a case of too many thoughts as a case of too much work. "One more thing before I go to bed." Trying to knock one more thing off the to-do list. Actually, it's a habit I'm trying to break.

• I deal with insomnia most night I sleep 4 hours

• Yup. Listening to stuff can help me a lot though as I can focus on that to stop them.

• My brain doesn’t shut off sometimes self care helps . Other times music or watch ocean docs can help me fall asleep

• Being retired at age 37 must be nice. I am also retired (age 72), and left to my own devices, I am always up late into the night, and sleep late into the morning. I usually don't sleep more than 5 or 6 hours at a time (last night was less than 4), and sometimes take a nap during the day. My insomnia is more often related to pain rather than to thoughts I can't stop, but that does happen as well. Unfortunately, I am not always left to my own devices, and have to get early for an appointment, or even earlier yet (like at my usual bedtime) for a background acting job. Fortunately, it is usually pretty easy for me to adjust my schedule
    <3 Jim

• I've been dealing with some serious insomnia for a few years now. Just changed from a scheduled job to an independent contractor type job, and getting more sleep, but still up pretty late most nights,

• edited January 2018

In some ways it's nice being retired at 37, however it can also get boring lol. Yeah for me it's not just the thoughts but also chronic pain. My sleep hours are so random, sometimes it's 4 hours and other times I sleep like 12. I generally hit up YouTube and have a bit of whiskey and that tends to help :).

Thanks for the responses, I'd like to get to know some more people in this amazing community I found.

• Pain is always an issue Fir me . My insomnia got worse with my chronic pain . I think I do the sleep forever because so little sleep my body just quits

• I used to have lots of issues sleeping, now I use thc, and guided meditation videos on YouTube ^~^

• I sleep around 4 hrs average give or take. I never really get tired at night, but when I do sleep it just kinda happens, like I will wake up in the recliner with a plate on my lap and computer on belly. I also work 7 days a week between my 2 jobs, and my teen son lives with me, so I just don't ever really have time to sleep unfortunately.

• [Deleted User]Greybeard (deleted user)

I have never been a good sleeper. Takes me a long time to get to sleep-45 minutes to two hours. Then I wake up, hoping it is morning, but generally it’s barely into the night. Takes a while to get back to sleep, and that scenario continues until about 4 or 4:30 in the morning. I’ll sleep from then until either the alarm or one of the dogs wakes me. I’ve been on CPAP therapy for apnea for 15 years. New machine that adjusts the pressure automatically as needed has made a decent difference, but still....

• edited January 2018

I am generally a night owl so I am not too sure. Though on the times I can't sleep because of chatters or anything, I usually tire myself out in whichever way I choose.

Such as relaxing hobbies:

• Working out/stretching (can be relaxing and after you relax and just fall asleep, it's also good to do it more throughout the day so you workout the stress, high energy and relax your mind and body)
    • ‎Watch a movie (though one would need not to sleep right away as the screen is not healthy to sleep right away)
    • ‎Gaming - online - in person - table top games - throughout the day whatever works.
    • Meditating, works wonders.
    • ‎Art - drawing - painting, etc. Or any other hobbies you enjoy. :)

• edited January 2018

For chronic pains I think meditation can help some along with other coping methods. Also trying to regulate ones room temperature. I do find that in the winter times I get some pain that spikes - took me a while to notice because thinking back there have been times that the pain would have nearly gone. Though after keeping warm, moving around more - I find it helps. I know different things work for all of us and no two pain is the same. Though just a few suggestions of my own. :)

Edit: I'll add healthier eating too.

• Thanks for the ideas, I appreciate it! I do try meditation but should probably practice it more often. I also enjoy audio books, movies and chill music. :)

Graybeard, I feel your pain with the cpap, I wear a bipap when I sleep due to my condition. On one hand I'm glad I have it because it helps but they are not the most comfortable to wear.

• I find doing yoga before bed can help as well. I don't do it as often as I feel I should but when I finally get myself to do it I am generally pretty happy I did. I feel physically quite relaxed after.

• [Deleted User]chococuddles (deleted user)

Just got home from a dance party.

Should dance like a kitten.

But I'm eating a few chilled Reese's Peanut Butter Cups before I hit the hay so I'll probably have nightmares.

Serves me right. (still worth it)

• [Deleted User]princessplushie (deleted user)

I'm still awake, about to fall asleep though. I wonder if I got you guys beat lol. Hopefully you can find a good cuddle. That helps me. It's hard to be tense when you're entwined with someone and you genuinely feel they care. I hope tomorrow we all feel more rested. I send mental cuddles to all of you.

• Meditation is like a natural sleeping pill or painkiller in a way. Especially when practiced correctly and often. Not a problem, relaxing music is great too! :)

• I rarely have a problem sleeping but when I do, I sip on a little liquor.