Depression and Mental Illnesses

I wanted to share my experience regarding Depression and Mental Illnesses.

Many of us can probably agree we have felt "depressed or blue" during certain times of our life, so we feel like we can relate to others with depression. Some of us have a diagnosis. Clinical presentation of depression, which is classified as a mental illness, is feeling depression for 6+ months and having other signs and symptoms. (This info is from one of the psych classes I've taken while in pre med).

Depression can be debilitating for individuals with the diagnosis. I have two brothers with clinical depression... For the younger one - he was so depressed, he couldn't even get out of bed. He slept 14-16 hours a day, and when he was out and about he always complained of fatigue. He lost several jobs during this time because he 1 - couldn't fight the depression hard enough to over come the obstacle of getting out of bed, shower and drive to work, 2 - he was worn down by the depression, he often overslept. Thanks to heavy counseling, increase in medication dosages and a lot of maternal support, he is now on an upswing and has a job he has kept for 4 months now.

For someone who occasionally feels depressed, it's nearly impossible to understand how someone can stay in bed, oversleep etc and put their wellfare at stake. But depression is a disease. He didn't choose this.

My other brother, his story is a little different. He has been on medications for most of his life - after spending a few weeks in a psych ward as a child, my parents didn't know what else to do with him besides counseling and medication. He has bipolar depression: Some days he feels down, and some days he is on top of the world. About 3 years ago, he decided to go "cold turkey" on his meds. Of course he did this without consulting with his doctor or counselor or his family. At first, we noticed good things - one day he complimented me on a sweater, he never complimented me before in his life. It was nice. But then the major mood swings came. When he was manic - he managed to spend his $5000 in savings on God knows what in a matter of a few weeks. He also was scary to be around in those times. He was overly excited about things and it made us very uncomfortable. When he was depressed, that was even worse. He attempted self harm several times, and also pulled a knife on me once. The cops got involved several times. He ended up going back to the psych ward after the third time the cops got involved - they worked with him to reintroduce medications.

It took two years before he was back to normal (as in how he was before he went cold turkey) and now he has completed one year in a job. During this time, a good friend of his (who also suffered from severe depression and many other illnesses) took his own life. When I was in highschool, my best friend's younger brother also took his life.

My brother still refers to his "awful time three years ago" just like he always refered to his time as a child in "the unit". He has apologised many times for the knife incident, I will never forget the look of the devil in his eyes, however, I know that that was not him. It's hard to forgive and forget hurtful behaviors like his. But thankfully no one got physically hurt and he has healed from that time. He still battles with depression, so does my other brother, but things are looking up for them now.

I'm sharing this, because I believe it's important for us to acknowledge that this mental illness is a real problem! And we need to be supportive of people going through tough times.

Comments

• I agree that we should be supportive of people going through tough times. I personally always try to be understanding and polite. Now if we can get more people to be forgiving and supportive, the world would be a much better place.

• [Deleted User]princessplushie (deleted user)

Agreed...

• I know others have talked about the benefits of cuddling for people with depression and anxiety elsewhere, but its worth saying again... As someone with chronic depression, I know that when I'm in the midst of a particularly bad episode, part of the reason I withdraw from people is because I feel like I'll be horrible company, can't imagine how to interact with someone else in a satisfying way, am so focused on my inability to give something good to them that I don't give myself permission to just be in another person's company as I am.

I hope others who struggle with depression here know that it is truly okay to just exist, however you can in that moment, even if its in silence, even if you feel like you seem mopey/no fun. That sometimes offering your presence to someone else in those moments can be a gift, because it shows how much you trust them. And sometimes, that alone can be incredibly meaningful.

To the people who are here trying to find healing, go you! It takes courage to reach out and connect to people especially when you're not feeling 100%! I'm proud of you already!

• You hit the nail on the head. I am very sensitive to people being annoyed by my mood such that they would be happier if I wasn't there (not at that location, not implying better off dead). My family is particularly bad about this. I don't have many places I feel like I fit and am appreciated. I know that's why I feel such a strong pull to give a safe place for people who feel that way and for animals who have no one. Everyone deserves to be heard and to feel important and valued, even if you're having a bad day.

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

Um. [raises hand shyly]

Something you may not know: there are actually people in the world who enjoy being around someone who's depressed and unhappy. I don't know why, but just being in the same room with someone who's miserable gives me a glow. I used to think this was a horrible thing, and tried to suppress it, but.... [helpless shrug] I suppose it would be just as difficult for a normal person to not be bothered by someone else's gloom.

In any case, if you're ever feeling depressed/mopey/weepy (but please, not stabby), know there's at least one person out there who'd be happy to have you around.

• My opinion is that feeling anything makes you alive, even the sad feelings. I'm not afraid of feeling sad or push it aside like most people seem to do in our society. A small part of me enjoys the sad feelings, because it means I'm alive. Though, of course, I prefer the happy times O:-)

• You cant have one without the other

• @pmvines Exactly. And happiness isn't near as joyful without being contrasted by the sad. Have you seen Inside Out? :-)

• Life isn't fair. Its all a series of adaptations, adjustments, evolutions, and we aren't going to always be pleased with or like it. Depression has its place in the human psyche whether we like it or not, its going to be there in one form or another regardless of intensity. And as emo as it may sound, sometimes its good to set aside some time to just feel really crappy and wear it like a warm blanket. Keeps things balanced and renews your perspective on things.