What Is Your Birthstone?

[Deleted User]MoonlightSonata (deleted user)

I was born in December so my birthstone always fluctuates between being a turquoise (the most common), blue zircon (the original birthstone but less common), Tanzanite or blue Topaz.

Here are the birthstones for every month and their meanings.

Note: Sometimes other charts will show additional birthstones for your month. This is usually for a few reasons. The first is because the original gemstone given to the month isn't as common anymore, so they have added some backup gemstones with similar attributes as the original birthstone. The other reason is because there are many books, articles, etc. on this subject that have been published over the years. Some gem experts or astrologists have different ideas about the alternate stones for each month than others. If you see any gemstones that are different for your month if you look them up in a book or something, just assume that they are alternate options for your month because the stones have similar meanings.

January– Birthstone is Garnet, which is a red colored stone having properties and attributes such as faith, love and courage. Wearing Garnet can help prevent nightmares in children, and it may also be used for building energy levels, or for protecting the heart and lungs. People who have a weak self-image can benefit by wearing Garnet as it is known to increase self worth and evoke romance.

February– The birthstone for this month is Amethyst which is purple in color. The Pope, it is believed, wears a ring made of this stone. Amethyst is symbolic of protection and its purple color meaning includes protection against drunkenness, arthritis and general ill health.

March– This month’s birthstone is Aquamarine which is associated with meanings like creativity, hope, self expression and courage. Increase love, youth, good health and overall happiness by wearing pale aquamarine gemstone.

April– The birthstone for April is Diamond which is, as most of us already know, connected with eternal love. April’s birthstone also symbolizes romance and courage and is known to ward off insanity.

May– This month is associated with Emerald which is green in color. The meaning of this month’s birthstone is health, faithfulness, fertility and wealth. Traditionally, this stone is also known to have magical properties that can keep illness at bay.

June– The month of June is associated with Pearls or moonstones that help calm nervous and anxious thoughts. These cool milky birthstones are also known to indicate modesty and chastity.

July– July born people can benefit by wearing red Rubies. Like red Garnet, the birthstone of January, rubies represent courage and strength of the wearer. Additionally, this birthstone can bring about good luck and good friends. One of the many properties of this birthstone includes supporting the emotional state of the wearer.

August– Peridot is the gemstone associated with August. The greenish/yellowish stone color helps heal stress and reduces anger. In olden days, people wore this stone to ward off evil, negativity and black magic.

September– September born will do very well by wearing blue colored Sapphires. The birthstone also indicates purity, wisdom, faith, loyalty and serenity. Blue sapphire can also reduce pain.

October– This month is associated with two birthstones, Opal and Tourmaline. Both can provide healing and restoring properties and are associated with meanings like hope, innocence and creativity.

November– The month of November is linked with yellow Topaz or Citrine. Citrine is called the ‘stone of the mind’ as it can help with intellect and remove negativity. Both Topaz and Citrine are known to help the mind and body and also protect the wearer from negative people.

December– The birthstones for December include Tanzanite, blue Topaz or Turquoise. Topaz, in particular, must be worn to boost good health and prevent headaches. All three stones are associated with healing properties. Tradition also shows that astrologers often prescribed Turquoise for providing an indication that the wearer was ill or in danger as the stone actually changed color under such circumstances.

(Information was taken from here: https://www.color-meanings.com/birthstone-colors-by-month-and-their-meanings/)

So what is your birthstone? And do you think the meaning of your birthstone fits your personality? I am curious to know.

Comments

• Amethyst, have a fist sized stone that my aunt gave me from a rock hunting trip when I was little

• [Deleted User]MoonlightSonata (deleted user)

@pmvines That's really neat! I love rocks, gems, minerals, and fossils. They are all very interesting, especially when you learn how they were formed, the meaning behind them, how they've been used in the past, and so on.

I also love collecting shells when I go to the beach. :)

That amethyst you have is really special. Especially since it was given as a gift to you by your aunt. :)

@Shadesofblue Emerald is a beautiful stone. That is my mom's birthstone as well. :)

• June- pearl/ moonstone
    I used to not be a fan of pearls but now I think they are beautiful, and classy <3
    Fun post! Thanks for sharing:)

• December baby also.

@Brandi I love both pearls and moonstones. I also view them as being very elegant and classy. There are some really beautiful pieces made out of both. :)

For example, art pieces like this.

I am glad that you liked the post. :)

@BrianL Nice! It's always good to know other people with December/ Winter birthdays.

• Garnet/January. I used to have a class ring however it didn't fit me anymore so I traded it in for cash...

edited April 2018

@scottdc297 I always loved the shade of red in a garnet. I believe that garnets also come in other colors too such as dark brown, pink, orange, and green. But the most common shade people associate a garnet with is red.

I had a blue zircon ring (my birthstone). I also grew out of it because I received it when I was young. We took it to a jeweler to see if it could be resized, but it turned out that because of the setting of the ring it would have been expensive to resize it. So I ended up selling it to someone who wanted to use it as a wedding ring. :)

• I think it's funny that my birthstone is a peridot, but all I ever do is stress.

@bbwneedssleep If you wear peridot, it will help to reduce the stress. ;)

That's usually how birthstones are used (in the traditional sense). They work to either enhance attributes that are already there or to fix attributes that a certain sign might struggle with.

• edited April 2018

I don't believe in restricting yourself to a stone that someone decided is your 'birthstone'. Who decided that anyway? My favourite stone is the Andalusite. They have multiple colours of green and orange. Unfortunately, the stones only come in small sizes, mostly one carat or under and they are not very hard on the mohs hardness scale. Another stone I like is Tourmaline, it mostly comes in beautiful shades of green or pink. Aquamarine is also beautiful, I particularly like the blue shade with a tinge of green as it reminds me of the ocean. I've always been fascinated by gemstones and minerals and never pass by a gem or rock shop without going in to browse.

@UKGuy You definitely shouldn't just restrict yourself to one stone. All of the stones are really great. I've always been a big fan of lapis lazuli myself. It has an almost magic quality about it. :)

But I am a big fan of all rocks, gems, minerals, fossils, petrified wood, and so on, in general.