The 6-mile high cuddle club - How to get in?

Any ideas on encouraging cuddling with seatmates on flights? If you fly, you know how uncomfortable it can be sitting for hours maybe trying to sleep in a jet airplane. Sure, there are a number of obstacles, but under the right circumstances, it might happen?

In a recent plane trip I thought how nice it would be to have a cuddle friendly seatmate! My hopes actually arose because in the seat next to mine a suitable, friendly, (and alone) potential cuddle buddy sat down next to me! The thought came to mind of befriending my seatmate to "exchange pillows” during the flight. I knew intantly that we spoke the same foreign language and would get along well! Unfortunately, there was a seat assignment error made and the seat belonged to someone else! But the second person to sit there was equally qualified! She also spoke the same foreign language as well, and while I did succeed in befriending her, I didnt get to do so until after she slept for most of the 4-hour flight. On the next flights and my return the opportunities existed but somehow I felt that my seatmates would not be open to the idea, as I was unsuccessful in even engaging them in conversation. So this trip was not successful, but it opened my mind definitely to the need but also to the possibility of cuddling with my lone suitable seatmate on a long and uncomfortable flight.

Has anyone else thought of this? Is it a possible or practical idea worth pursuing?

Comments

• We sit next to very different people it appears.

• I think on another cuddle site, as a pro, one can be hired as a travel companion. Closest thing I came across to this. Not opposed to it at all.

• [Deleted User]grumpcat (deleted user)
    edited June 2018

Considering how small the seats are now you basically cuddle anyone you sit next to... whether you want to or not...

# BitterRoadWarrior

• @TimmyCuddle In all likelihood the majority of the time the opportunity will not exist. In my case, the opportunity was there and I was in a cuddling mood.
    @stellarosass That is actually a good idea. I searched for a pro in the area where I stopped, but nothing came to fruition, because I simply didn't plan ahead. I will be traveling again soon, however, and may include this into my itinerary. Can you PM me on what that might cost? Thanks.
    @grumpcat As long as the seat neighbor is in the suitable range and friendly. But I can see where that can be less than pleasant. I believe in the news just a few months or so ago there was a major incident between two travelers where it didn't end well - just because one didn't like the touch of the other.

• I fly twice a week, for the past 18 months. I've seen friends and family sleep with their heads on one another's shoulders. People putting up arm rests and sharing the space between them, usually parents holding kids closer, or couples getting as close as possible with clothes on.

I did have two separate experiences where a young female college student fell asleep and leaned into my shoulder, kept waking up and was embarrassed, fell back asleep, leaned into my shoulder, woke up, apologized again, and we both laughed on the third time. The second time was a male grad student who ended up cuddling into my shoulder, sound asleep, almost the entire flight. I was dozing or reading myself, and didn't mind. The day before he successfully defended his thesis, partied hard, and was a little bleary-eyed getting on the plane.

• Somehow, I can envision having a Sky Marshall appear from nowhere with handcuffs.

• @mickcuddle That scenario may be the death of the whole idea. I of course imagined a thorough qualification “sales pitch” where it would only be suggested in the most innocuous way possible and with someone whom I would believe to be unlikely to view it as some type of assault. But the risk may not be worth it, as your comment suggests. Thanks.

• Yeah I think it's prob best to not attempt to touch strangers in confined areas, and there really is no reality based scenario of having a conversation witth a stranger about cuddling with them while on a plane, just sounds off . People on this site are already primed for that sort of thing but you still have to be logical about the general public

• Very ideal and kinda look like hallucination to me. Still I wouldn’t turn down an opportunity.

• I'm very cuddle positive, but it would have to be the right person to approach me in that situation and get anything other than a no thank you. Quarters are too cramped when flying as it is. Often nerves are very frayed when traveling, and even the most polite and reasonable suggestions are met with hostility. I wouldn't ask for cuddles in the air from anyone I didn't already know.

• [Deleted User]snughugs (deleted user)

Honestly I'd be tempted to ask to transfer seats if someone tried to cuddle me on a plane, and I'm very touch starved. I'd find the context inappropriate.

• edited June 2018

@snughugs agreed ! It's very important to remember appropriateness and context. I once had someone on here ask me if I cuddle my hospice patients, and then proceeds to question why I didn't. I honestly was very surprised that to him it even required an explanation. Some people truly do seem to be so gung ho about what they like that they don't account for boundaries and what is deemed appropriate. Would be great if everyone cuddled with everyone, but that's not the world we live in.

• [Deleted User]snughugs (deleted user)
    edited June 2018

Very much so, @pmvines . There's a time and place for everything, as they say.