we really need to spread the word about this website

edited November 2012 in Root
I know we have posters, flyers, etc. available to us but is anyone using them? It might be an awkward struggle at first because not many people will understand our point of view on this whole cuddling notion, but we need more members in my area as I am sure you do in your area. So what do you propose we do to gradually get the word out? Any suggestions?

Comments

• I agree with you Jak275.

I suppose the 'site' could advertise, but since it's a free service to the members, I am betting they don't have the $ to do so...? Maybe they could add those site ads? Would that turn members off? 

I have felt awkward about posting the flyers, and therefore, haven't in the end. Although I do wish there were more folks in my area on here. Oh, I'm sure they are 'out there' they just don't know that this site/option exist. 
    They are all on 'dating' sites trying to be 'mainstream' or playing video games and cuddling with a cat. (Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)
  • Posting flyers is definitely awkward. The site needs a press release which usually costs a couple hundred dollars which in my opinion is a good investment for the long term, as right now they are the only site that does this and a competitor can easily catch up and surpass membership. It would also be good for SEO.
  • Chicago, 
    Forgive my ignorance, what is SEO? 
    And you're so right. Should another company feel like it, they could easily slam the market with the concept. 
    (Hey, maybe the owner here should 'sell' their interest to a bigger company, you know, cash in on the idea. But then, maybe the point wasn't to go big fast.) 
  • edited November 2012
    Thanks for all your feedback and I have given it careful thought.

For those that don't know, SEO means Search Engine Optimisation. It's the art of improving your discoverability on Google. I will be investing more into this area soon.

One aspect of SEO is our blog. We really need an author, or several, to update the blog with posts relating to this niche, even if it's a weak connection. Just once a week or so would make an impact, and it would be automatically pushed to our Facebook and Twitter accounts. There is content out there to write about and redistribute, you only need to look at websites like Reddit to see that. 

Since this website has launched, the blog has brought in a surprising amount of traffic, images ranking in Google has been one reason for this. The problem is I've struggled to find the time to update it, so I'd be hugely grateful for any volunteers as you'd be helping us all.
  • I am actually enjoying this site even though there are hardly any users, but at least there isn't annoying membership plans.

• Thanks for the answer Mark. And, just now I realize there *IS* a blog here. I'll check that out. 
  • [Deleted User]jon200 (deleted user)
    This site is a great idea but it's user base, particularly in the UK, is tiny. Of the few members here, most have     not logged in for 6-12 months. This site is such a good idea and I am doing what I can do spread the word as it really needs more exposure.
  • Where can I get flyers?
    Thanks!
  • [Deleted User]TallTom4U (deleted user)
    I think you should delete all of your fake profiles from the site and just get more real members to join. There's a quote... "If you build it, they will come". Match.com as sued over fake profiles and lost, I'd hate to see that happen to your site.
  • edited January 2013
    I agree but unless people report them we won't know about them. I understand some websites intentionally create fake profiles but not here.

Please can everyone click the report button when they come across a fake profile. All reports will be looked at within 48 hours and if there is reasonable evidence of the account being a fake, it will be deleted immediately. 

• To spread the word about the website - link to cuddle parties in various parts of the world on Facebook. Write on one of Couchsurfing groups - there are definitely folks who would like that. I might be able to write something personal for the website after a while.
  • I don't normally post but I Just want to commend you on creating a most unique and classy site. Hang in there, because you are providing an opportunity which brings people together in a positive spirit. I will definitely continue to spread the word,
    -Pete in Maryland
  • Thank you :)
  • I found this site through Reddit, and I cannot express how excited I am something like this website exists. I've been looking for something like this forever! I'm doing everything I can to spread the word!
  • just found this site through laci green on twitter so the words getting out to another 42k people
  • And Laci Green found out thanks to jacfalcon :)
  • Glad to help! So glad she found it interesting! :)
  • Other than the logo at the top of page, are there any other "banner" style ones we could use to put on web pages?
  • I actually found the site by googling 'cuddle buddies' on a lark;I had no idea it existed so I guess the SEO thingg is in place already? Anyways, it is truly wonderful.
    P.S getting my first cuddles tomorrow 
    :X
  • I also googled cuddle buddies. Hoped there was such a site. Didn't know there were others who wanted same. I have experienced "puppy piles", same as cuddle party.