Ciao Mundo! :)

edited January 2019 in General

@LoveLight

Introduction:

I want to help raise awareness about mathematical difficulties (especially with basic math). I have no diagnosis yet. However, I am familiar with Dyscalculia (which I may or may not have). Nonetheless, I have similar struggles and even two people with Dyscalculia may not be identical in their difficulties/experience/etc. If you have similar difficulties, or anything related you feel comfortable to share, feel free to. To help you get an idea of my difficulties with basic math, I'll share with you this.

I can count from numbers both descending and ascending with little to no problem. However, I think there are some people that can't/ struggle to count. Even though, in other areas in their life they can function well and much easily. Likewise with me. For example, I struggle with mental addition and subtraction (which are my strongest). I am likely to go blank for a bit. Then start counting/ calculating. Then again to make sure. Sometimes, I lose track and need to do again and again.

Possible Judgement and Misunderstanding:

( Sometimes there is the possibility/ that new people will judge me based on just that. Thus, off the bat view me as unfit to be friends. Thinking I am incapable of achieving anything, or being of value. Even with all my challenges, I am valuable and capable of achieving what I can. If I could get rid of these difficulties, I'd want them gone. Though, that is not the reality. I find ways to cope and lead a decent life. Plus, we all have our own battles. My hope is by sharing this, we may be kinder and more understanding with each other.

There are people who may jump to the conclusion that we are just lazy. I hope they don’t say to someone that for example with a back injury to: "quit being lazy and lift this heavy stuff." Or likewise to someone with memory difficulties. So, let's have the same kindness towards people that their brain: glitches, processes things slower, etc. Our brain can mess with us in all sorts of ways and we are long way from figuring out and understanding the brain.

What it's Like:

I guess I could describe my difficulties as being sort of similar to learning a new language. At certain stages we’ve all kinds of difficulties. Sometimes we have no clue how to say something in the new language. Or if we are saying the right words, spelling properly, etc. People like myself have those sort of challenges. Except with math and those difficulties can stay with us our whole lives. )

Possible Everyday Challenges:

Also, stress can worsen for me. Before I knew I had these challenges and what to do about, for example: at the cash register I’d be told the cost of an items or a few. Then I’d start counting the change I have with me. Or while I am waiting for the other cutomers to go before me. I’d count trying to know if I have enough/ approximate change to give. Sometimes I succeed, other times not so.

Sometimes, I’d find myself taking too long to figure out and then start stressing that I am holding up the line. So, I’d hand to the cashier and ask: “Is this enough.” Sometimes I gave more than enough. Other times, I needed to add more. Overtime, I learned to go aside and calculate before going in line. This has been of much help. Once in a while I forget to calculate beforehan. Then find myself in the line/ asking: “Is this enough?” I don’t know if some cashiers thought: “Can’t she figure out?” in a negative/ or a curious way. :)

Actual examples of my difficulties:

The following are some mathematical calculations that can show you a bit what my difficulties can look like. I am writing my mind, as much as possible. For reasons so and so: 23 - 15 = (To use a calculator or not to...) No.

**First example:** 23 - 15 = blank (I'll calculate mentally) 10 subtracted... 

( using fingers to calculate 23-15 = ) it's tough! 23-10 = 13 easy.

13 - 5 = blank... thinking... difficult. Try this: 13 - 3 = 10 easy. 10 - 2 = 9, 8. 23 - 15 = 8.

Rechecking: 13 - 5 = ... just mentally, it is blank... difficult.

I'll try this way: 10 - 5 = 5 easy. 5 + 3 = 6, 7, 8 it is correct!

**Second example:** 23 - 12 = 9 (Checking over the equation. I did that quick and just in my head). 

Rechecking: 23 - 12 = blank and confusion. Simplify to: 23 - 10 = 13 easy.

Now: 13 - 2 = 11 easy. Wow. Different result. I'll count with my fingers to check again.
23 - 10 = 13 easy. 13 - 2 = 12, 11. I'll make sure with a calculator. Though, I am almost certain the second try is right! Yay!! It is correct: 23 - 12 = 11

**Conclusion:**  

Depending on the variations of the numbers I am dealing with, and my stress levels, I can be quick to know some answers. While with some number combinations it can take me longer and rechecking repeatedly. At the time of writing this, I was not under much stress. Aside from tiny bit over “numbers flying everywhere.” As a result, one moment someone might think I have no difficulties with basic/ math. While other times the difficulties show. I hope this was helpful to you. ^_^

Comments

• edited January 2019

When I was at school in the UK things were very different to today. We had to memorize the 'times tables'. We had to be able to instantly give the answer to any multiplication from 1x1 to 10x10. I quickly learned that 9x9 was 81. I just knew it, did not have to figure out how or why. They taught us how to do division, addition and subtraction. However, mental math was always a challenge for me. Give me a pencil and a piece of paper and some time and I could figure out most things, but ask me to do it all in my head with a time limit, and it became a severe challenge. I have sympathy for people who find math difficult, I have two daughters, one is brilliant at math but the other one, give her half a dozen assorted coins and she can't tell you what they add up to. I do think math is overemphasized at every level of the educational system; you do need a basic ability in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Also you need to be able to count money and tell the time. Beyond the basics, who really will ever use geometry or algebra unless they need it in their chosen career?

• I have an obsession with math, particularly alternate counting methods, and this post is FASCINATING. Would you ever consider writing up any more of your workarounds? They are brilliant. I want to read over this a second time when I'm more awake.

• edited January 2019

Sorry for the delay. I am not on the site much lately. Though, I come around to participate on the forum from time to time.

@UKGuy that is nice. I am hoping I'll be able to manage memorizing overtime. Though, that can have it's challenges. Hopefully things will get better for both myself and your daughter. Yes, it's a spectrum from so talented to barely able to count and tell time. Sometimes when I watch Mathematician, I wish I could be like that. I do have love for Math especially that it is (as far as I know) a right or wrong field. No gray areas. So, that's one thing I like about it. It can also help us build great things such as technological and architecture related work. It's nice that you are understanding and have an experience with this through your daughters. For sure people that have difficulties with Math can have trouble navigating
    day to day, and finding work, etc. I think it is good that Math is taught. Sometimes, people change their minds about what they thought they wanted to do. So, giving them oppurtunities to take various subjects is helpful. Though, there may also be room for improvements in how subjects are taught.

@HandcarvedCanoe I appearciate your read and interest! What do you mean by "alternative counting"?

Possibly in the future as I learn more about: the subject, my difficulties and how to manage, I'd be able to write more about. I'd suggest reading about Dyscalculia to give you some more perspectives and workarounds. It's a disorder/ that's said not to be well know yet and so, the dealings are also in early stages.

"Dyscalculia is a specific learning disability in math. Kids with dyscalculia may have difficulty understanding number-related concepts or using symbols or functions needed for success in mathematics. Dyscalculia is a common learning issue that impacts kids' ability to do math."

https://www.understood.org/en/learning.../dyscalculia/understanding-dyscalculia
    ‎Signs of Dyscalculia · ‎Dyscalculia Fact Sheet · ‎Types of Tests for Dyscalculia

I haven't read this yet, though might be of interest to you sometime: http://mentalfloss.com/article/31879/12-mind-blowing-number-systems-other-languages

• That said, while I am still working on, I know how to count in American Sign Language. So, I think that may be helpful in my math abilities. I have yet to figure out how though, besides being able to communicate in extra languages.

:)