I wonder if cuddlers experience ASMR?

edited February 2019 in General

Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR) is a calming, pleasurable feeling often accompanied by a tingling sensation. This tingle is said to originate in a person’s head and spread to the spine (and sometimes the limbs) in response to stimulation. The stimuli that trigger ASMR vary from person to person. Some of the most common ones include whispers, white noise, lip-smacking, having a person’s complete attention (as in having one’s hair cut by a hairdresser), as well as brushing, chewing, tapping, scratching, whispering, and crinkling.

I've always been affected by ASMR. As a child, I would experience it when a teacher got close and gave me special instructions, especially if she spoke in a whisper. I'm very auditory both in learning style, my professional and personal life. It occurs spontaneously, I can't really recreate it, and sometimes it happens during meditation.

What is it like for you?

1. I wonder if cuddlers experience ASMR?31 votes
    1. I experience ASMR
      48.39%
    2. I'm not sure if I experience ASMR
      22.58%
    3. I don't experience ASMR
      29.03%

Comments

• Oh.. I hope not. I am not the biggest fan of mouth noises. Amplifying noises kinda wig me out if it's anything but just breathing.

• "In addition to the effectiveness of specific auditory stimuli, many subjects report that ASMR is triggered by the receipt of tender personal attention, often comprising combined physical touch and vocal expression, such as when having their hair cut, nails painted, ears cleaned, or back massaged, whilst the service provider speaks quietly to the recipient. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response

• I love ASMR triggers! My latest client even brought up the topic without any prompting, I was so excited :) I've done ASMR meditation classes in the past, and I do my best to bring it to my sessions now! Personally, I do enjoy certain sounds but visual (e.g. watching someone get a massage) and physical (e.g. having my hair stroked) triggers are more important for me. I'm glad it's an ever-growing concept!

• I am fine with visual, physical, and smells. But then again all of those sensed for me are terribly muddled together (I.e. the song my favorite part taste like blackberry and wood, but seeing a black berry makes me associate the color to the feeling of twine and so on and so forth)
    Audio ASMR just really messes with my senses and I do enough of that on my own so I get squeamish about it.

• I absolutely DO experience ASMR. Most often it occurs during some type of physical stimulus, especially gentle caressing of my head, neck and/or back.

It starts as piloerection (goosebumps) and a tingling sensation in the scalp followed by an intense, whole-body feeling of contentment and relaxation.

I have experienced this sensation since childhood.

• I am so glad to find out that this experience is a thing and has a name and that others experience it, too.
    For me, I usually have it happen when I am helping someone or they are helping me.. like giving/receiving personalized instruction/directions.
    I have not experienced it while cuddling -- yet. That would be a cool time to experience it, though.

• @TedBearCuddler - Have you ever watched an ASMR video on YouTube? I did it a couple of times with great results at first, and then it wore off. For me, there is something a little mystical about when and how it occurs. I've never found the switch. It's elusive.

• [Deleted User]bouncydoodle (deleted user)

I havent experienced this while cuddling, but it might be because if I'm unfamiliar with someone I'm a little in my head. I used to get this from band concerts, especially if I was not participating, and can trigger it in myself through a firm touch either through my hair or on the back of my neck.

• @PeopleLikeUs - No I have not seen that. Yes, it can be elusive because, as I did say what has happened to cause me to experienced it, it does not happen every time.

But, maybe remotely like you, @bouncydoodle , if I am on the waning part of the experience, I have-- on occasion-- been able to trigger it to start again, somehow. Can't really explain how, but some kind of something I trigger internally to get the sensation to start over.

• I listen to ASMR every night (sad? Lol) I never feel tingles and couldn’t imagine what it felt like. I would probably be shaking when I cuddle because I’m nervous?