Finding free classes on professional cuddling

[Deleted User]CherylL (deleted user)
edited March 2019 in Professional Cuddling

I've looked on youtube for a couple of pro-cuddling tips but haven't found much. I know they have websites like cuddlist that charge to teach you cuddling techniques, establishing rapport, etc. I'm wondering if you can find these resources in a book or online for free. Any and all replies are welcome.

Comments

• A good friend on this site recommended this book to me:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1464248.The_Cuddle_Sutra

• edited March 2019

I think short of hiring a pro cuddler to mentor you, or making a mentor friend here, you would be hard-pressed to find free classes, per se. I think resources is the better term to use.

Forgive me if you've already come across the following, or have a look at this thread, as some of my suggestions will be found on that page as well. These are just the resources that have helped me thus far aside from various articles, being inspired by others pros, my own experience along the way, etc:

★ Touch by Samantha Hess (I haven't picked up a copy yet but have heard great things from others here, notably @respectful)
    ★ Janet Trevino on YouTube to get insight on experiences...her energy is so genuine and warming that I have watched her more than any other professional cuddler. She also does coaching.
    ★ Keeley from Cuddlist has some YouTube videos up as well that talk about the profession.
    ★ Also check out Jean and Fei on the Cuddle Sanctuary's Facebook page. Fei has done some amazing and encouraging videos aimed at us professionals that I have watched and it really reassured me as to where I am in my experience.
    ★ Some here have suggested The Cuddle Sutra for positions, but I have had a read and it doesn't really contain anything new that a quick Google search wouldn't pop up. It could be useful to have on hand for clients who aren't sure where to start. Some of the positions though are lovely.
    @respectful has compiled a list of helpful resources by media type here, from books to movies to YT vids and more... should you find others that are useful and not mentioned there, I'd pass them onto him so he can list them in that topic.

Tying in alternative areas of study or focus such as tantra, consent (look up Betty Martin's wheel), mental health and wellbeing, basic first aid etc. will be helpful in allowing you to really understand the human aspect of what you are getting into. We're wayyyyy more than glorified body pillows which I'm sure you're aware of given your willingness to learn. It's my opinion that if a person cannot expend on getting certified or can't find a class right away, they should at least know the ins and outs of one or several of these topics to get started.

Honestly the resources out there aren't that esoteric although the community might seem to be. Some of the knowledge gained could be considered fairly quotidian in the scheme of things. But for those who have never explored boundaries in any way and are looking to go professional, it may even be worth it to spend the $30 or so (at least in my area) that it costs to attend Cuddle Party or a similar workshop. It's practically the same price as a nice lunch out and it's valuable stuff that can even be applied to everyday interations, not just cuddling or pro cuddling.

• This was great. Thanks. I have attended several Cuddle Parties, which prompts me to be a professional. I enjoy it so. Is Cuddlist the only route to becoming certified?

• @lovetocuddleu
    There are many certification bodies including Cuddlist, and I recommend researching the alternatives before settling on Cuddlist alone. We have quite a few pros here who have done their program and will have great things to say about it. They instruct you how to truly run this business, but their fees might be seen as hefty by some and not worth it. What they teach is taught by many others and in a way that it is more focused on growing and educating the community rather than grabbing cash and membership fees. They charge monthly in addition to the cost of training, and depending on several factors like geography you might not see a client return that outweighs the cost of staying on Cuddlist. It might be worth it to just go to them for the training and even if you don't see a return, or they choose not to advertise you on their board, you still walk away having learned everything you need to be successful. I don't know what area you're in because at the moment I'm deactivated, cannot view profiles and will be rather MIA for some time. Try getting in touch with the facilitator of the CP you attended and ask them if they know of any local, regional, or state-based options for getting certified in addition to the ones you've read about.

That all said, I don't feel that getting certified right away is necessary if you don't find a certification you like which fits your needs. It's not like at this time there are boards reviewing the standards and practices professional cuddling...although we should be hoping for this to come as it will help legitimise our movement and further distinguish us from the more unsavory underbelly of (inter)personal services! I would say the fact that you have attended CP several times means that you probably have a better understanding of what you're setting yourself up for than most who glean from "the outside", as I did, and now you want to help out. So long as you do some form of educating, or have some form of experience, you are certified in a sense. There are plenty of cuddlers who are quality and have never had training, and others who have had the training and still carried on with suspect activity, or didn't understand what it was about (and these are the ones who Cuddlist decides not to host on their site).

You might even consider talking to some certified pros here who are in or close to your area (if any) and seeing if anybody would like to give you suggestions on who to go with. I'm surprised there hasn't been more input on this thread.

• [Deleted User]CherylL (deleted user)

Thank you so much for all your find responses. I'm definitely going to make use of does resources and look into cuddle parties.

• well said as usual @catloaf. In fact some of the very resources you mentioned in the first part of your post also have some form of formal training at this point. Samantha Hess, currently offers a cuddle training program as does SnugglewithSam from this site. Jean and Fei also do a combination of free and paid training. There are many others also. The main thing to establish before choosing is how you want your training focused. You'll find clinical to sensual and something for everything in between; so try and establish which type of cuddle you are a natural of and look for training that emphasizes that area.
    I for one am currently asking around to see if the possibility of cuddling elementary students for behavioral and learning disorders would be an option in my state. How many things could be changed if issues were caught earlier.

Good luck ladies. The world needs earnest cuddlers.

• I don't mind answering questions directly. Phone call can be easier than messaging sometimes. But will reply to messages when I have time. Never considered charging, though tips are always welcome, ha.

Cuddlist is worth the monthly fee even if you don't get clients. They have so many webcalls available to you for resources and the Facebook group is so helpful. It is a wonderful group of professionals. Top tier.

I also did cuddle sanctuary, but it is pricey... They have a free webinar also which is great.