Tips (Money)

Is it okay for pros to request tips in their profile or while messaging? For example, what if their profile says something like, you can tip as much or as little as you would like. I have always been under the assumption that pros should never ask for more than what’s agreed upon and the payment is due at the beginning of the session. Also, if a tip is given, should the pro report that and pay the site it’s cut on that tip amount? Thoughts?

Comments

• I've never seen an implication anywhere that this is breaking a rule but boy does it sound both money hungry and suspect. Maybe I am reading into it too much, but that just sounds like a covert invitation to paying for extra services, or at least some opportunist could take it that way.

• Aren't tips for people earning minimum wage? It doesn't seem necessary to tip the business owner who is making 100% of the profit. Although there's nothing in the rules stating it can't be done, I agree with @Catloaf that it sounds money hungry and suspect.

• I’m glad is two pros (or former pros) expressing this opinion. I would think twice before seeing a pro that mentions tips in her profile as I think it indicates the wrong kind of approach.
    And yes, tips are usually reserved for workers that make sometimes less than minimum wage, like restaurant servers.
    I’ve heard that sometimes people tip their massage therapist but they don’t advertise it on their ad unless maybe there’s a happier than usual ending expected.

• I don't ask for tips, but I have certainly received them. A tip is not just for people making minimum wage. It's extra given to someone for a service you appreciate. As long as I could afford it, I always gave a Christmas bonus to people I used services from throughout the year. Pet sitters for example. As a professional, I do some sliding scale work and some discounts. The clients I have who can afford to provide me a tip when they desire allows me to more easily do this for people who have much less budget for the service, but have a definite need. It could be considered basically a reverse sliding scale. Some clients have much more disposable income and are able to pay more money indicative of the value they see in my service. I don't ask for it nor do I expect it, but it is much appreciated when people can afford it and have a desire to give it. Just do you and what you are comfortable with. I would agree with it seeming a little strange to ask for it in the profile however.

• [Deleted User]chococuddles (deleted user)

"you can tip as much or as little as you would like" reeks of insincere greed and is an instant turnoff.

• I only added something about tips and gifts in my FAQs (on my personal website) because I wanted to put in a couple places (also on my service agreement) that material gifts are not allowed.

• Same. Totally nothing wrong with making people aware of your boundaries regarding tipping. I've had people tipping me as well, or trying to gift bottles of wine etc. which is totally a no-no. If they asked, I mentioned if they wanted to leave gratuity that it was strongly preferred that they make an electronic payment so that it could be put back into supplies I need to order for the business.

• edited April 2019

I’ve always given a little extra , that included , one or a couple of ...

Few extra bucks
    Fruit
    Chocolate ( favorites)
    Stuffed animal
    Cookies ( macadamia nut are favorites)
    Books from the bookshelf the cuddler started reading
    Bottle of liquor
    Used appliance
    Live animal

• I definitely have never asked for tips, but I have recieved them and always make sure they meant to give it to me as I believe what I'm charging is fair.
    I think it's unprofessional to ask for tips no matter what kind of professional you are, and they should never be expected.
    With that said, if a client chooses to give a cuddler a tip, then that's out of the goodness and generosity of their heart and I certainly appreciate it. The quality of my cuddles will never be affected by whether the client tips or not. I think the pro should be able to keep 100% of all her tips.

• I’ve always thought tips are for services that are appreciated, whether it be a premium service (massage, valet or facial), a regular service (mailman - Christmas gift) or a mandatory service (mechanic) if you can afford it. Unfortunately i cannot in most cases. But requesting one in this instance screams extra services. But if i had extra cash i would certainly tip after a session to show appreciation.

But i do have a question, why would it be a no no to accept or give a gift like wine or something? I understand when representing a company or decision you could have influence over, i just don’t understand why not in this case. Enlighten me please. @Catloaf

@cuddlerforu24 a used appliance? Are you sure they weren’t just cleaning the garage?

Also i don’t see a problem with the term “tips are appreciated” being used because it’s rather general. And based on some of the karma I’ve read some people probably deserve it. But since i don’t have much experience i don’t know how they deserve it.

• @BashfulLoner

My stipulation might seem a little odd...it's partially due to my upbringing. To me, a bottle of wine is something you'd gift to a good friend or someone who is very intimately close to you in some way. It's a mischievous, slightly flirtatious/romantic suggestion in my eyes. I also don't drink anyway. And due to a previous experience where I was drugged among "friends" via beverage, in a session with a client I will not accept food or bev as gifts under any circumstance, due to the possibility that it can be tampered with (if snacks/drinks etc. are needed during the session even, I usually supply them myself).