Public Transit Cuddle

The Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) runs throughout the East Bay, SF, and to SFO, from where I fly out of quite often. Each one-way trip to the airport, or coming home from the airport takes roughly 75-90 minutes - emphasis on roughly, since these trains have nowhere near the smoothness of European or Chinese train/metro systems. But I digress.

It was a Thursday evening and I'd landed at SFO and got on a 10-car train towards home. By the time the trains get into SF proper, the cars start filling up, and during rush hour, every seat is taken and then more people come on board to stand in aisles and hold onto rails or the hand-holds above them. In general, sometimes people talk with fellow travelers, most stare at their smart phones, some sip their drinks or snack, but it's not unusual to see people fall asleep either. I've heard some very impressive snores above the din of the jostling train cars and electric hubbub.

This night, a woman in her early 30's sat down next to me. Professional, blue or gray eyes that took in everything, and rings on two fingers of each hand. She wore a navy blue pantsuit and placed a leather satchel by her feet next to my own bag. We exchanged nods, 'hellos,' and brief smiles and we both leaned back in our seats.

The train departed, people got on/off at each stop through Embarcadero, and then the train started the rhythmic cacophony through the Transbay Tube under the San Francisco Bay, speeding towards Oakland. I was lulled into the "Bart-zone" from the car swaying and the wall of sound inside the tunnel and I felt my eyes get heavier, but then I blinked in surprise when I felt the woman's head hit my shoulders. I held myself still and waited to see when she would move away, but I felt her further cuddle into my side and shoulder.

So be it.

I let myself fall back into the "Bart-zone" and relaxed. The temperature in the train car was cool, but our combined body heat made me feel much warmer, but comfortable. I became aware of a man sitting facing me from several seats away. He made eye contact, grinned lasciviously, and gave me a thumbs up in her direction. Ah yes, this is why we can't have nice things. I kept my face still, my eyes locked on his, with the phrase "keep it in your pants" repeated in my head until he looked away. She's not here for your entertainment, "Bro."

When the car slowed and stopped at the West Oakland station, she raised her head a moment, looked around, stared at me for three seconds (long enough for me to register that her eyes were more blue than gray), then put her head back down on my shoulder. She was out again before the doors closed and started towards Berkeley. At each station, she woke, looked around, put her head on my shoulder, cuddled into my side, and slept: 12th Street, 19th Street, MacArthur, Rockridge. Once we were halfway through the Berkeley hills tunnel, she sat up straight, yawned, then stretched her arms high above her. As the train slowed towards the Orinda station, she gathered her satchel onto her lap and looked at me again. I smiled lazily, still zoning and several stops from my own departure, and she smiled wide at me. The train stopped and as she stood up she squeezed my shoulder. I waved goodbye to her.

When I got off the train in Walnut Creek, I could smell the scent of her hair on my suit coat.

As a first public cuddle, I have zero complaints other than the horn-dog voyeur.

Comments

• @Sideon what a dream of a train ride! Makes me want to wander on BART... (not really)

Pure Magic! #JEALOUS & #HAPPYFORYOU

Thank you for the eloquent share... and damn to hell the creepy voyeur, may 10,000 fire ants visit his anal opening in his sleep!

• @Sideon interesting. Even though, you may not have mind. It’s not something I’d encourage.

I get if it was unintended. Though, for her to keep doing that, showed intention. Which she did not apologize/stop doing/ask for permission. Not everyone is a touchy/pda type of person. Or wants strangers getting up in their space like that. People could have all kinds of reasons for it. Though, they may have trouble expressing their disinterest. Nonetheless, it’s the responsibility of the one initiating to express interest, and wait for affirmative response.

So, it’s important to ask/get an affirmative response before proceeding.

• @Lovelight - I wouldn't presume to know what she was thinking or her mind set, but I'll take the moment as a gift and leave it at that. In no way am I touting this a "everyone should do this" or "one size fits all" experience, nor would I encourage random people to spontaneously cuddle on public transit. But I wouldn't be adverse to it if it happened again.

• @Sideon I am not saying you know what she was thinking. Just the fact that she kept doing it thus, showing intent. As well as not apologizing, or anything. I also, get your side of it. Just that I am also bringing to light that it’s not something I would encourage. As communication, and consent are important.

• @Lovelight - duly noted. I consented by allowing it to happen. You can be sure that if I had minded, I would have said something. Her and mine non-verbal skills were top-notch.

Now, if it had been Jake Gyllenhaal or Paul Rudd or Chris Hemsworth there, I'd have died on the spot. Just so we're all clear on this.

• [Deleted User]checkingthings (deleted user)

@Sideon Are you a Language/ Literature / Creative Writing Major?

I agree with @TouchIsTLC, your story writing skills are eloquent. It reminded me of something like out of a Hemingway story.

“Please, sir. I want some more?” (Oh, what a Dickens!)

• @Sideon yes, I get you were okay with it, and I am glad you were.

lol. Not sure if that’s a joke. I laughed even though, I don’t really get it. I don’t follow any of them except: Chris Hemsworth, who I followed a bit here, and there on social media. ?

• @Sideon Thank you for sharing!
    I love Jake G. as well ???

• @DaForceofNature @Sideon Is it terrible that at one time I thought Jake G was the actor who played Spiderman?

• @pmvines ? Nah, not terrible. They all kinda look the same to me after awhile...
    I only know Jake by name because of his absolutely brilliant work in one of my favorite movies.......

Bubble boy ??

• edited May 2019

@DaForceofNature I thought you were going to say Home Fries! What a classic lol

• edited May 2019

The only thing lacking in that encounter is Teri Nunn singing “Riding On the Metro.”

• @sideon This was a great read...well written. Thank you for sharing this; I got lost in the setting for a moment, which is what made the read great. I felt as though I could smell her hair too, at the end. "This is why we can't have nice things" brought a smile to my lips ;)
    I totally agree with @TouchIsTLC

• Ah yes, this is why we can't have nice things.

LOL

This was such a lovely little piece that perfectly captures the simplicity and beauty of a short, yet genuine and meaningful connection. You told it so eloquently too! Thank you so much for sharing!

• @Sideon Brilliant. The most beautiful thing. Life is good. Thanks brother.

• Great read, wonderfully described! I don’t know how comfortable I’d be in that circumstance. I might let it slide the first time but after making eye contact I’d feel violated that she did it again. Glad you had no issue with it.

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

@Sideon: Great writing. I really enjoyed it. Feel free to share again anytime!

• edited May 2019

That once happened to me on the train in New York City. You should have said "Where are you getting off, I'll wake you at your stop". Then she wouldn't have had to wake up at every stop.

• @UKGuy that's wonderful! ?

@Sideon was probably too in the moment wondering WHAT is this happening, etc., to think about that. Though, that's so considerate!

• Was thinking about this story on my drive home today, thought I'd come by and casually bump it so other people could see it. :3 <3

• It's wonderful when a moment like that happens totally unplanned and unexpected.
    And I gotta agree with the others: you wrote it exceptionally well.

• Something similar has happened to me on the London tube in the past, although not quite so elegantly or completely.

If you haven't read the beautiful post at the top of this thread .... do it now!