How to Step Up As A Human Being Generally

[Deleted User]rheaah (deleted user)

Since boundaries and decent, old-fashioned respect is lacking towards our fellow human beings, here is an article I found that will keep honesty going amongst the socially inept, the unaware and the patriarchally stodgy and what other people can do to help.

I really love the part about men are supposed to be using their power to support and protect women and life in general every day, rather than irritate, manipulate oppress and hurt. I'm not saying that all men are like that (as it's false considering the time it takes to poll an entire planet of human beings for real numbers), though there has to be enough good men in the world to help tear down patriarchy faster since it hasn't worked for everyone equally and peacably for many millienia.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/oct/16/a-simple-list-of-things-men-can-do-to-change-our-work-and-life-culture

Comments

• edited November 2019

I'm impressed that you read English newspapers. The Guardian has some really good articles. If anyone cares to follow the link that @rheaah gave, there are 322 comments from readers, which make some interesting reading.

• [Deleted User]rheaah (deleted user)

I do, just the good ones since I've read alot of trashy USA media...just like being trained to know the difference between real and counterfeit currency :)

• @rheaah,
    thanks for posting this article. It's got a lot of "tasks" people with social privilege can follow even if they don't understand what significant power those changes will make in the lives of people around them yet. When I was doing healing work, sometimes taking someone's suggestion for how to fix something I'd been doing wrong felt counter intuitive and just taking the measure and seeing what happened even when I didn't quite get it was what led me to understand, improve and be in a more well world.. this article lends itself to actions.

I know when people aren't sensing that they need to change it's harder to take actions, but when over half the world is feeling oppressed and naming ways to shift it, it's nice to see that some people are doing and offering proactive advise. I'm feeling the shifts in groups I am involved with and the generosity is making our connections so much more full.

This book, while not quite as simple, is also super tiny to get through and offers insight.. the book is called "Turn This World Inside Out: The Emergence of Nurturance Culture" There is a section "Dialog: How Masculine Identified People Might Use This Book". And while it's usually men within activist worlds taking this up (and there are men eagerly taking it up), it's available to all people especially those who want to learn sooner than later, about the ways they hold power and help each other learn how to dismantle and share power.

@rheaah, have you found people on this site who are down, or is there somewhere you think I could go for this kind of connection where people get power differentials and dismantle them in their own actions? Maybe a relationship anarchy page or solo poly site that has a reputation for having people who aren't going to make living in a better world an argument? This site tired me out even more than I was when I started my thread a few days ago, yuck!

• @BooksnTeas I have appreciated your shares.

• @littermate thank you, I've appreciated yours as well. Much.