Los Angeles

1. Do you think people in LA are more lonely than people from other cities?25 votes
    1. Yes
      48.00%
    2. No
      52.00%

Comments

• [Deleted User]Zundar (deleted user)

Hi, the cuddle request section of the forums are specifically for people requesting cuddles - discussions go in the general section of the forums. Reported so a mod can move it to where it needs to go.

• It's an established fact that the denizens of Los Angeles are preyed upon by psychic vampires. A crippling loneliness is one of the more common responses to being drained by these malevolent entities.

• [Deleted User]Zundar (deleted user)
  • I think people in small towns would be more lonely than LA. I know some towns where an aggressive monster from another galaxy would be accepted quicker than someone looking to just cuddle. Go out to West Texas for example and see how that goes over.

• edited November 2019

LA is exceptionally lonely, but I can't say if it is moreso than other cities. Like all cities, the population is transient and intensely career focused, and not unlike other cities, there are huge numbers of people who are "new here" on any given day, with no friend or family member in the entire state - or even country. They might be living in an area dominated by a culture or ethnic group, and unable to even connect with their own.
    A typical person has to work an awful lot for a basic or even bohemian lifestyle, which is isolating, and there is a prominent population that is fabulously wealthy, and not shy about making a spectacle of it. Considering how many people come here expecting that for themselves, it contributes to feeling isolated and affecting self esteem, possibly making people less outgoing. On the other side, some people take prestigious jobs here, but the work consumes them, and even though they can afford to do whatever they want, they don't necessarily achieve high-quality intimate relationships. it is much harder to get those as an adult. I've seen plenty of loneliness among la natives as well.
    I think something unique to us is our
    car culture, and timee alone on the freeways -its significant, whereas other places, people might make friends on their daily route in public transportation.
    Can you tell I've given this some thought? 😉

• Not as lonely as New York:

• edited November 2019

I'm 3rd generation LA. People here can be a little walled off and overly self-indulged, but not lonelier than any other city. You can find any sub-culture here no matter how obscure to hang out with, plenty of dating opportunities and tons of entertainment which is why people become walled off. The biggest downfall here can be people that treat other people like they are just another form of entertainment. That can pose a real disconnect. My friends just refer to that as being LA, like "That person is so LA"

• Wow @FunCartel my uncles used to play this. highly inappropriate today, but very quintessential LA and still relevant. I see people ranting on forums daily about how glad they are they left this filthy sh!t h😟le place. I feel pretty certain it's bitterness over discovering that Beverly hills is closed, and having to live in Culver City or K town with us Philistines and mongrels whilst having their dreams dashed by the industry and ultimately having to run back to mama in their landlocked home state. I'm a big fan of the newly arrived, culture shocked usc students 🤣
    (With nothing but love for Culver City, K town, USC, Mamas, and landlocked square states. I'll cuddle all of you.)

• [Deleted User]mdx71 (deleted user)
    edited December 2019

LA is just a big city, it's easy to get lost in the shuffle and confusion. There's always some sort of problem going on and never seem to have a lot of time. LA is less real and down to earth then some other cities, you just learn to deal navigate it, but it's easy to feel lonely when you're a small fish in a big pond.

• @biancalovecraft I lived in LA for five years, a small border town in Texas for two, NYC for one year, Arizona for 3 and several other places as well. My dad was career military, then I had a long academic journey, and since I embarked on a career I have been nomadic. That song could be written for any of the places I lived because people come and go everywhere I have been and those who hate where they are become very bitter. The irony here is I have always been jealous of people that have a hometown but on the flip side of that, I get bored with places easily and want a change of scenery hence the reason I have a career that I do. I do not mind constant change. Stability is what scares me.

I guess what I am saying is that any place you hate being around is the place in the song—you just change the name—just leave out the slurs.

• A traveler arrived at a new town, and at the entrance found a old man in a rocking chair. "Hi there, what are the people like in this town ?"
    "What were they like in the place you left ? " asked the old man.
    "Friendly, decent people, easy to get on with."
    "Well" , said the old man, "We're the same here.
    A few minutes later, another traveler arrived, and asked the same question, so the old man asked the same question back.
    "Miserable folks, unpleasant, hard to make friends. "
    "Well", said the old man, "We're the same here".