Those With What Society Classifies as a Disability

edited January 2020 in General

I'd just like to acknowledge all of the cuddlers who have something that can be classified as a "disability". In quotation marks for a reason since I feel that anyone is able to achieve anything they set thier minds towards and it's not fair to put people in a box like we often do in our society. We are all different.

With that said I've seen a few profile with people who are deaf, in wheel chairs and other emotional or physical limitations. You are appreciated and respected and deserve recognition in my opinion. If you're comfortable with sharing a personal experience in regards to this either for yourself or someone you've come across on here please do so. I feel that we can learn something from this. Thanks!

For me never officially diagnosed but I've got some anxiety issues as well as my hearing is less than average compared to many people.

Comments

• [Deleted User]Bles (deleted user)
    edited January 2020

• I would encourage the OP to see his PCP to discuss the anxiety issues and seek a referral to an ENT for a hearing aid

• I’m in a wheelchair and can’t get in some houses, apts etc due to steps and such and I can’t host often. I’m not saying I deserve anything at all. It is what it is. I just wish that if I did cuddle, for instance with a pro, that I wouldn’t have to spend the extra money for a hotel room. In other words, a 2 hr session would cost me the amount a 3 hr one would cost.

• edited January 2020

Society is very poor at identifying disabilities. There are many more than are officialy recognized. Being an introvert should be considered a disability because introverts are not able to do many of the things that extroverts can do. One could even make a case that being poor at math is a disability because you can't balance your bank account, count change or figure out your taxes. None of this is meant to lessen the impact of the currently-recognized disabilities, but we have a long way to go in recognizing all the conditions that negatively affect people's lives.

• @adorable48
    UK rules say that a business should not make a wheelchair user have to pay more for a service, so a taxi-driver can't start the meter until they have put away the ramps etc.
    Accomodating disabled people, goes with being a business.

Perhaps the pro could have an "away day" and book a hotel room for several clients ( one at a time 😀 ), like a movie theatre has some showings with subtitles.

• @UKGuy
    The Equality Act 2010 refers to a disability affecting a person's normal daily life, which includes their relationships with others.

Quite right that it should not consider only if they are fit to be an employee. People are not robots to run the economy.

Being introverted is a scale, which includes being utterly terrified of any human contact. Pros can probably help many in the middle ground.

• @geoff1000 The same laws exist in America (they can't charge more for the service nor can they charge any travel fee), but the issue here isn't a professional charging more for the same service, but there being a separate added cost and who is responsible for it? If the professional can host, but isn't wheelchair accessible, they would be willing to go to the client's home for the session to accommodate, but the client can't host, who then pays for the hotel? I have had lots of sessions with clients who use wheelchairs. Most have taken place in the client's home, some in a hotel. It is a complicated and unfortunate issue =(

• @ubergigglefritz
    Perhaps the answer is for the pro to rent a hotel room and schedule several clients on the same day, so the cost is offset by having several bookings.

Alternatively, how about the site allows the pro to give less than 15% if the client is physically disabled ? It would rely on trust, as it all does.

• edited January 2020

@ubergigglefritz is exactly right.. it’s a complicated and unfortunate issue. As a guy who has a disability, I don’t believe as some do, that I deserve anything over and above... ok yeah I think I deserve equal access and treatment, but everyone wants that. It’s not particular to me. The thing about the Americans with Disabilities act , is that it only applies to companies with a certain number of employees. Also, I just try to understand that my situation is what it is and I feel like most people are trying to do right by me. It may sound like I contradicted my first post, but again , I’d like the things I mentioned in the first post, but I feel like most people are trying to do right.

• @ubergigglefritz
    I'm not trying to be adversarial, I'm trying to find a way to give disabled people access to a service, and without them having to pay more than I would.
    I'm trying to think how a judge would balance those needs.

P.S. I think you are providing a very valuable service, please keep up the good work. 😀

• Personally, I will travel pretty much anywhere, so the best is if the person can host. Back when I was using hotels, that was easier I suppose for this situation. Pros and cons. I also have a lot fewer expenses now and no need to pack in as many sessions as I can. I love my new way though. 😊