Tips to spot fake/scammer profiles

A cuddler (brand new to the area) reached out to me today and at first I thought there was a language barrier, as the English was broken and replies to my messages didn’t make sense. I told her my name and two texts later she asked what my name was.

It quickly turned into the person asking me for gift cards. It wasn’t even in exchange for cuddling. In fact, we barely discuss cuddling and when I brought it up, she kept asking if she’s getting her Nordstorm (very random and specific) gift card first.

It’s hard to tell if it’s a bot or a scammer (or both), but it feels fraudulent. At the very least, misleading.

If anyone is asking for a gift card prior to any kind of services, that’s usually a big red flag online, especially if the message exchange doesn’t make sense and they keep going back to demanding gift cards.

What tips do you have to spot fake and/or scammer profiles?

As I post this, I just realized they’ve blocked me...
https://www.cuddlecomfort.com/Hallforall

Comments

• You should definitely report her for what she is doing. She also shouldn't be asking for anything in exchange for cuddling since she is not a professional. It seems like a scam to be honest which is unfortunate because all the signs are there. Demanding gift cards, ignoring the reason for messaging, etc. Anything involving gift cards is usually a scam. If you have the chat still saved in your messages, the moderators should be able to reference it once you report it. You should still be able to report her even if she has you blocked.

• Thank you for your insight @cuddlebunny777. Unfortunately, after she messaged me here, she almost immediately had us switch over to texting. She didn’t start mentioning gift cards until we were off the site.

Here’s where we’re at now, after I confronted her about it:

• @quincyq03 you can send the screenshot of your texts as well when you report it. The fact that she mentioned it period, even if it's off site is still against community guidelines. Make sure you put the phone number she gave you as well so they can investigate it.

• @cuddlebunny777 thank you so much. It looks like they’ve just been banned.

• [Deleted User]Deltron2000 (deleted user)
    edited February 2020

Sometimes I'll go along with a scammer and let them spin their wheels for a while because I'm bored and have no life. I had a three day long conversation with one once sending me all these fake pictures. Then we got to the part about her poor sick grandma and how she couldn't afford medicines. He/she really slow-played that one. I love to ask them a question I asked before and see if I get the same answer.
    There was a quote by a Nigerian scammer that got arrested: "You know how you guys learn to play baseball when you grow up? We learn how to scam people." Be careful.

• Usually, when they request to "take the conversation offline", it's a common red flag, too. Usually, an attempt to redirect to a dating site or some type of site with less then honorable intentions.