Thoughts of suicide

Wanna self harm😭😢

Comments

• You should be calling a hotline or a mental health professional. All you will get here are useless platitudes.

• edited April 2020

1800 273 8255
    National suicide prevention hotline
    Please call . Cuddling will not help you if this is where your head is already at . You need serious intervention . Please call immediately.

• Please make that call @camarochev2022

• edited April 2020

@camarochev2022 It's great that you are being open and reaching out to other people, and not just trying to deal with it on your own. But a more helpful place to get the support you need might be: https://www.reddit.com/r/selfharm or https://www.reddit.com/r/SuicideWatch.

• @camarochev2022 as @respectful said, thanks for reaching out. It's important to reach out wherever and however you feel comfortable. I would encourage the suicide hotline. Those people are awesome! Beyond that, if it's the isolation getting to you, I have found video calls with a close friend to be very helpful as well. I may get flack for it, but I would love to hear your story. Hope you have been feeling better in the days since you posted. I know my mood can fluctuate greatly in this uncertain time. 😞

@FunCartel I would suggest looking into ASIST training. I believe everyone should take this class (and mental health first aid). You mean well, but your comment comes across very poorly and could very well be dangerous for someone who really is considering suicide. 😞

• edited April 2020

@ubergigglefritz you come across as condescending. I have worked on Suicide hotlines in the past. Face it, this is not the place to be if he is at that point. And your response is precisely why—he needs to be talking to someone and not writing. Writing often lacks context such as voice inflection, pauses, etc. Besides, four days after the fact is not very helpful either, is it?

Fact of the matter is, @pmvines had the best advice—a number to call instead of another website or criticism of the advice given.

• Not intending to be condescending. As someone who has struggled with depression and suicidal thoughts in my life, I know exactly how I would have responded to your comment. I would have felt rejected, shot down, pushed away, my pleas for help not heard, myself not seen, etc. It would have caused me to shrink back into my shell and less likely to have tried reaching out in the future. I agree that @pmvines response was more on point. Your response just feels like "go away, why are you here, you should be somewhere else." @pmvines response feels like he hears the person, understands the struggle, and provides a resource. That's precisely a part of what is taught in ASIST. Words matter. It's possible to redirect someone to a better resource while also making them feel seen and heard and appreciated at the same time. 😞

• edited April 2020

Well you read it all wrong and that is why writing at a time of crisis is not the thing to do. One of the first things I was taught in training was to be frank rather than to be too comforting. The main thing is to get them talking.

But that’s ok because your MO is to give unsolicited advice. Just leave me out.

• Wow. Ok. I'm glad someone with your training didn't answer my call when I called the hotline. That would have just squashed me. That is the opposite of what the woman did when I called. She followed the precise protocol I learned in ASIST. Explore, ask, hear, support, develop, confirm. At no time did they teach me to reject the person and tell them to go somewhere else. 😮

• edited April 2020

I wouldn’t send you somewhere else if you called the hotline. But then again, this isn’t about you. But since you have a burning desire to be right, then you are right. So leave me alone and stop talking about things you do not know about me.

• @FunCartel you may not realize this but there is a thing called crisistextline. its where people who are in crisis (like the OP of this thread) can text in and get help. So your idea that writing isn't a good idea etc, is wrong. also your way of answering the OP was totally wrong. so I'm not sure what kind of training you went through but that was definitely not a good response to the OP. you should have been much kinder in your response.
    I am glad you no longer do suicide hotline work, it should require someone with empathy

• @Melancholy Thanks for your comments. I am not always perfect in the written word either, but I can recognize when my words aren't accomplishing my goal or when that is pointed out. Usually I stray when I am under stress, allow my defensiveness to take control, and am generally not grounded, calm, and centered. I am always willing to acknowledge when this happens. We are all only human after all... :-/

• edited April 2020

@Melancholy Nevermind. You are not worth my breath to respond to.

• [Deleted User]Brynn (deleted user)

Good Lord....