Cuddling and Past Trauma

edited April 2020 in General

It's not my place to give details but I will generalize the situation. Due to past traumas in my partner's life, it makes it hard for them to like any type of physical contact--their love language is spending time. For me, I have my own past traumas that make me reach out to cuddling and physical contact as a way of coping--my love language is physical contact. I have many mental illnesses and have battled them for years and I have to beg my partner to mentally prepare themselves in a bit for when I'm going to have a mental breakdown and I'll need a hug even for a min. I hate having to ask them to do something they are uncomfortable with but at the same time, it's something that I need in my day to day life just to help my mental state. It doesnt matter if its romantic or platonic. In this case, I would need platonic, as I am faithful. My mental health is a struggle even for the doctors and I'm trying with every bit to hold on. I dont like to cry in front of people but if I cry in front of you, you should know that I trust you more than I trusted my friends in highschool. All this is harder with a pandemic when resources are scarce. I'm not sure what to do here 😅 Anyways, just thought I'd share!

Comments

• [Deleted User]Bles (deleted user)

@EdanTryphon Thanks for sharing. May you find the inner peace and comfort you seek by sharing your experience here as you continue to valiantly fight and cope with your illness. Know that it will be okay. Sending many hugs your way to encourage you to continue to try on whatever and however many different approaches work for you.

You are not alone. Feel free to cry and spill your pain here. We are a community of survivors of all kinds of unique life situations and experiences. And we're all seeking our own solace and comfort in whatever form or style we know and understand best. Let spilling your guts of hurt and frustration be your own catharthis for whatever you're feeling right now.

It won't cure or heal your depression. It won't change uncertainty around your illness. But hopefully it will lift a piece of you one tissue at a time. One feeling at a time. No shame in sharing.

Cats are such cuddly creatures. I hope yours are cuddling you with all the soothing comfort their soft furry frames can give.