Stimulus check

Part of being "essential" means I'm privileged enough to be bringing home my regular pay. So this stimulus money is pretty wide open for me.

I was going to be really responsible with it but I think I decided to do my part and help to keep the economy moving.

Sooooo now I have to decide what to spend it on.

Anyone else deciding too? Any good suggestions? Anyone have a good cause I could help support?

1. How should I spend this money?46 votes
    1. Furniture! (Your family needs somewhere to sit when visiting you)
        4.35%
    2. Lotion 😍
      10.87%
    3. Start planning a trip for when this is over!
      32.61%
    4. New bedding!
      10.87%
    5. Flowers!
        0.00%
    6. Charity
      21.74%
    7. All of the above!
      19.57%

Comments

• Cuddle providers, as soon as it's safe!

• @JoyfulHeart I wouldn't be opposed to hiring a professional cuddler 😁

• @Sashamcgee
    Stocks are “on sale” lately. I recommend a going with a broad market low-fee ETF such as VTI. You’ll be helping the economy by investing in a diversified fund.

• [Deleted User]TravelBuddy (deleted user)

Save it! :)

• [Deleted User]TheErlking (deleted user)

Considering I’ve lost $15,000 in contracted income so far (as a freelance musician during a normally very busy time of year), I’ll be holding on to most of mine. I will probably donate a small portion of it, but need to make sure I continue to keep enough in the bank to survive if there’s another shutdown (or if this one goes into the summer).

• Mine is just going in the bank and being used to pay bills.

• I would suggest if you don't have an emergency fund, put it towards that. If you do, whatever small business you would like to help support. Most all of us are really struggling right now, and they will appreciate it more than any big company. I am working at a fraction of my usual level, so mine will be going towards my bills. 😇

• edited April 2020

I haven't received a check.

• I said new bedding. You spend so much of your life in it. Make sure where you rest is pristine and as luxuriously comfy as it can be. Same goes for shoes.

• Thanks y'all!

I know a lot of people are struggling 💜💜 that's the benefit of risking my health during this time. I know a lot of people don't get that choice though.

• edited April 2020

gf.me/u/xsngcn

This is a link for a good cause. My friend and i started a Gofundme recently to help people experiencing homelessness, since resources are scarce. We're doing this out of the kindness in our hearts, we know its risky, but we intend to be as safe as possible. We are planning to post pics/receipts of the items we buy when we do outreach as well as other services. Thanks!

• I'm going to second @ubergigglefritz - put it into your emergency fund, if yours is too short. (That, or send your free money my way.)

• Most of mine will be going towards rent.

• In our lives, we often lose what we should have had, by misfortune or the acts of others. Whenever we get something we feel we don't deserve, my advice is to put it in a "bad luck" fund, to offset some of those unfair losses.

Covid-19 is affecting a lot of people, so governments are helping. In the UK, businesses which put staff on furlough get 80% of their salary off the government, which they must pass on.

However, many of us will suffer individual unfair losses from other causes, and there won't be such help.

• Just received my stimilus money, says it won't be available till tomorrow, but I plan to use it for rent next month.

• [Deleted User]ImajenMoon (deleted user)

@MrPaul & @spuds :+1:

Will these "stimulus checks" be treated, tax-wise, as "income," or will the entire amount be owed?
    I feel you, @cuddle4health, Rent or Bank.. We don't know how this thing is gonna play out.
    Imajen

• @ImajenMoon It's my understanding that the stimulus checks are to be tax free.

• @ImajenMoon
    The stimulus check is tax free. Furthermore, it is not considered disposable income, legally speaking.

• Use It To Pay Off My Macy's Card, Pay Off My Capital One Card And Put The Rest Inside My Emergency Fund.

• Maybe find a pro cuddler who is struggling with the loss of income and send them money for a future cuddle session. If they are someone you trust ofcourse.

• I too am essential so its extra income, but once bars and restaurants reopen I'm planning to visit workplaces of my close friends who are wait staff, bartenders, hair stylists etc that couldn't work and leave them a very generous tip. I'm sure they could use it.

• [Deleted User]ImajenMoon (deleted user)

@spuds & @MrPaul ~ Thanks for telling me. I have GOT to stop practicing the ol' "expect the worst" habit! Good to know that, sometimes, we can get a little help just because we need it! :)

@LoveCuddling20 ~ Now THAT sounds like a plan! :+1:

• It is gold that if any one has a job in this day. Got my stimulus check a few days ago. I save for unexpected emergencies. The job I am fortunate to have on those earnings save some for my trip to travel, sightsee, eat find food,and meet a pro cuddler.

• Paying my tax bill, patronize a local restaurant and throw the rest to cont paying
    Off house

• edited April 2020

Food and basic hygiene products for you and some for others in need if possible. I heard some farmers are struggling and food is one of the most essential stuff there is.

Also tech is important in this century and most likely more to come. Like once we go tech we don't go back. So let's all try to be supportive of the tech world and cut them some slack if issues are arising at this time. So long as they've been decent before.

Let's also not forget the health industry and support them however we can.

• Savings are great if you are not lacking funds due to the virus. If you are still working, it can go towards savings like mentioned OR if you have some good amount of debt that you want to bring down substantially. Some folks though may not be currently working and so towards bills is necessary. I hope everybody is making it through this time manageably.

• I think all of the above are great choices .... I just hope it was spent on small businesses / mom & pop stores ect