can you register a pet cat or dog as pro cuddler?

in exchange for some cat or dog treats.

Comments

• I wouldn't necessarily be sarcastic about this particular topic. It just so happens that it's of practical use for this community.

My Siberian Husky has full active paperwork as an ESA - Emotional support animal.

This allows me to rent apartments that aren't pet-friendly or fly with her on airplane.

The only thing I lack so she would be registered as Service Dog is just the training which I refuse to expose her to.

Circling back to the beginning of this post, the official term is Pet Therapy.

• Now, we wouldn't necessarily have to be undergoing the same process as a hospital does, before they let in an official Pet Therapist onto the in-patient wing.

But Pet Therapy is incredibly useful in healing traumas.

For me, the combination of Cuddling and Pet Therapy, that's what healed me.

So, purely from a business standpoint, Cuddler who can offer Pet Therapy, can be an incredibly effective Trauma Healer.

Probably even more cost effective than a regular Therapist, especially if they managed to get partially acknowledged by Insurance companies.

• @alphares : perhaps you weren't sarcastic?

Thinking about it, even outside of Pet Therapy, people might be willing to cuddle with some cute dog.

I know I would :-)

• edited April 2020

No an animal can't be registered as a pro cuddler I know that was tongue in cheek. However an old coworker had an emotional support dog, just so happened to be a husky , and one of his commands was to cuddle . She would say cuddle and he would

• @Siberian76 what paperwork for an ESA? In the US, there is no actual paperwork that has any legal merit beyond a letter from a mental health professional.

• However an old coworker had an emotional support dog, just so happened to be a husky , and one of his commands
    was to cuddle . She would say cuddle and he would

I chose a husky especially because they are so emotional and opinionated. Their perceived range of emotions is much larger than that of other dogs. And, most importantly, they let you know instantly. There's no use for a dog that might detect the emotions but keeps the information to himself.

My Honey, however, will instantly squeal a very specific high-pitch sound. Kinda like a piglet :)
    Before I realize what's going on... Though, I already mostly healed, so it's not really happening anymore.

So, while they're extremely high-maintenance (compared to, say, chiuaua), as ESAs they're just a god send.

For trauma, it's equally important that the dog is also cute. You need as many positive emotions as possible to counter it. Every little bit helps.

Probably the only annoying thing about her cuteness is the constant external feedback:

• people -literally- stopping the traffic and yelling out of car:" I love your ****ing dog"
    • whe she was a pup, I could not walk for 60 seconds without somebody stopping, dropping everything and playing with her. Of course, a Husky puppy is an Uber-Cute Monster, so can't say I blame them...
    • because at home we're having back-and-forth full blown conversations :) , she often starts talking to strangers - like full sentences. I really haven't seen any other Husky (let alone other dog) do that. Some will speak couple words, but not like 7-10 exchanges. A neighbor's son's jaw dropped last week, as per his words, she spoke to him more in a minute than his own two huskies in a week.
  • what paperwork for an ESA? In the US, there is no actual paperwork that has any legal merit beyond a letter from a mental health professional.

For ESA, one should only need licensed therapist's letter. If I recall correctly, there was additional paperwork for Service Dog, but it's been couple years...

• @pmvines > She would say cuddle and he would

That. Is amazing. LOL. Now if only my other half was like that... ;)

• @Dante_S do you offer your other half a discount ? That might help 😂

• Just throwing this out there but most people are here to cuddle humans..

• personally, would love to meet other peoples cats as cuddle pros .

• My dogs definitely wouldn’t be able to. My corgi terrier doesn’t like to be hugged at all and my chihuahua- jack Russell -terrier is to busy to sit still. Lol.