Comments

• [Deleted User]Bles (deleted user)

How much inflammation take residence in our bodies is often dictated by our mindset. It takes a while for a mind and body to adjust to new routines. And truly exercise and diet does help. So does a shift in our expectations of ourselves.

Adjusting to a new normal requires that shift in what our concept of predictability and structure looks like. It's a little more challenging and it certainly takes time. Sometimes the body has to feel all that neurokinetic overload to reset it's own balance.

Interesting article.

• The Tom Clancy book "Without Remorse" has a passage describing a photo-reconnaissance drone flying through a hail of North Korean anti-aircraft fire, following a steady course that a human pilot could not manage ; because it has no idea it is being shot at.

One solution in life is to recognise when we can no longer control part of our situation, but can only control our reaction to it. Think of being under an artillery barrage, where the only defence is to put on a steel helmet, and hope.

The stress we experience, is caused by the brain continually calculating choices, and/or the body being continually ready for physical responses ; but that is a poor long-term strategy. We don't sit awake on our front door step all night in case of burglars ; we fit locks and alarms, then go to sleep.

We must somehow learn to uncouple ourselves from some causes of stress ; like the chess players at a school fair who play a dozen games at once, and somehow manage to disconnect from the others.

It is ingrained that we focus most, on the most severe problems, but that can be counter-productive ; if our fear and contemplation of being attacked by an intruder, distracts us while making a sandwich, so we cut ourselves.

• Allostatic load may be a new experience for extroverts, who are being forced into isolation for the very first time. But for introverts, it's been something we've had to live with all of our lives. Society's expectation has always been, as your article quotes "humans are like pack animals, and when we go into isolation, we get lonely". This, however, does not apply to introverts. What extroverts are feeling now in isolation is exactly what we feel when we are among groups or in social situations. Our energy is drained by that, not by being alone.

• @UKGuy
    Hence the expression, "Lonely in a crowd".

I read somewhere ( though can't find it since) that pit ponies had their vocal cords cut, to keep them quiet ; and they only suffered emotionally, when in the company of other ponies, who could make sounds. Groups and social situations are bad for introverts, only because of the expectation of communication.

• @MissAdventurous Yess!! That explains so much! It is sort of similar to the idea of the "plausible deniability of each other's absence" school of thought when it comes to why we are so exhausted after video calls that we try to use as a replacement for in-person interaction.. Check this screen shot out. Also, sorry for the letter "o" above, that was a mistake and it won't let me delete it.

• Being an introvert definitely makes isolation easier to tolerate than it would be for someone who has tons going on in their life. I wonder what label they will or have put on how an introvert feels when even the few people they do enjoy being around are now removed from their life. Personally, I have not been in the presence of another human going for over 6 weeks. Its taking its toll.

• edited May 2020

@letstryitonce - Being an introvert has nothing to do with whether we have "tons going on in our life". I have as much going on in my life as the average extrovert, but it tends to not involve groups of people or lots of social situations.

• Thank you @MissAdventurous ! I love the psychology of these things. Wish you were here to discuss!

• Ukguy...when I said 'lots going on " I was referring the original article which to me is lots going on. I know what an intovert is. I have ( or had before Corona ) plenty going on that fit my introvert personality quite well.

• @davebutton same here 🌷

• When I read the article I noticed a reference to worrying. I‘ve learned that worrying has no practical use for us. Either you can change your situation or you cannot. Either way, worrying about it does nothing but cause you stress. Change what you can, accept what you cannot.

• @MrPaul
    "No situation is so bad, that worrying can't make it worse"

• @MrPaul like the serenity prayer. I don't pray , but I do like the words in that prayer. I do believe stress can be a good motivating factor, however I don't link stress with worry as they are capable of being mutually exclusive