How to deal with coworkers thinking the pandemic is fake

I mean, groupthink can be influential, and I'm hearing crazy stuff from people that seem to be in their isolated urban/country bubble, even though I work in a small city surrounded by urban areas.

They dump political flippant nonsense in our general chat channel about how science is fake and the media is fake and medical recommendations are fake, and in meetings the boss will drop that he thinks the pandemic is a global plot by American Democrats to get Trump out of office... or that we need to arm-up against police... or that the masks and distancing is part of government obedience-conditioning or mind-control... or that the social distancing rule is not specific but an open carry distance rule is... or that George Floyd was marked as a COVID-19 death... or that all of the police brutality protestors and rioters are violent paid antifa from other countries or states... it doesn't matter what pics/videos/sites you show them disproving crazy rhetoric, they believe basically far-right fringe bubble stuff, and I feel like I'm in an alternate reality now when I go to work.

These are people with families, people that I've known to be good, funny, intelligent... yet somehow they've gotten plowed into conspiracy crazy stuff, and just seem ensconced in radical propaganda at this point.

I don't understand. How do I navigate these landmines without them turning their ridicule on me because I don't buy their fantasy nonsense? It's like they're being programmed based on things that make them feel good. Don't get me wrong, I've seen plenty of liberal nonsense, but this goes beyond anything I've seen at work.

Comments

• edited July 2020

There is a significant science behind someone being grounded in their ignorance because it is the basis of their reality.

This does not mean it's either the appropriate or correct way of things, but just like an addict to alcohol telling you they don't have a problem, the more facts/evidence/ect... you present to the individual, the deeper they go into ignoring the subject at hand.

I try to take a breath when these things come up and remind myself to have firm compassion that they may educate and improve on themselves in some point in life. Well, 95% of the time. Otherwise, I just laugh and say, if you don't get it, you don't get it. 🙃

You aren't alone in that frustration.

• Atheists have the same concerns about religious believers, who have so many conflicting faiths that most of them must be wrong.

• @geoff1000 Some of us atheists simply just don't believe in fairy tales.

• @spuds
    I was trying to be polite.
    Can you tell me why you have blocked me ?

• As an atheistb, I can also see the flip side where atheists can be downright smug and judgmental towards people of faith

• @pmvines

I don't mind people of faith praying to their God to protect them from the dangers of the world. I do mind if they do that as an alternative to following all the science-based advice in a situation, for instance about Covid-19.

People of faith believe that their time on earth is just a selection process to determine how they spend eternity, which can make their priorities and decisions very different to those of atheists.

My feeling is that people with an entrenched view on anything, don't react well when the facts challenge that belief, whether that view is based on religious faith or something else.

• @geoff1000 Because I wanted to.

• What Pandemic?

• @spuds
    Thanks for the childish reply. I shouldn't therefore be bothered that there might be a rational reason, indicating that I should change anything in my behaviour.

• Takes a lot of faith to be an atheist :)

• @geoff1000 What was so childish about my reply? I don't owe you an explanation as to why I blocked you.

• @Calm_Tangerine , I understand, but did that comment show them the Love of Christ?

• Jesus loves All people.

ALL people

Just sayn

• @snuggleme123 .. lol.. come on. So those who have faith can never say ANYTHING? You realize what Insaid was nothing against anyone?
    To your point - this is the reason you never hear public support of conservative views.. only liberal.. at least very rarely

• @spuds
    "Because I wanted to" is the reply of a child who doesn't understand themselves. People with a choice mostly do things they want to, but adults typically understand why.

You could have shared your reason, to save you having to block others who "misbehave" in the same way ; or said that you don't want to share your reason. Blocking only prevents people seeing your profile or sending PM, so I don't see the benefit for you. If you want no communication, don't reply.

You don't owe me an explanation for blocking me, in the same way that as a result of your behaviour, I no longer owe you respect ; and am happy to share that on the forum.

• edited July 2020

@Calm_Tangerine, I dont want to hijack the thread so... First, that statement was a pot shot. You basically just said atheists are stupid. The book says the way Christ want you to convince people is by the Word of your Testimony. Telling people how He has changed your life and impacted your life and what you have seen with your own eyes. All @pmvines heard was another christian tell him he is an idiot for his faith. We use the bible to build people up. Too many times it is just a blunt object to hit people over the head with. Your heart is in the right place but the action was wrong. That seed will most always end up on rock not fertile ground.

• edited July 2020

Hey man.. honestly I did not say atheists are stupid. You cant get so offended. I said 1 line.. and in good faith :) please dont think i said that.. ok?:)
    Ok.. I'm guessing youre not an atheist.. :)
    @pmvines .. i sure hope he knows i didnt call him anything (kinda funny you jumped to that so quick).. i didn't even know it would be a statement on him or anyone.. if you think about what I said.. theres things to ponder.. a lot of things make us feel there is a designer.. a creator. Not random (that's what I was going for).. no names :)
    Peace

• @snuggleme123 .. you are sure not trying to build me up! Lol .. just relax man..

• I'm a Christian never mind which branch I was very science bound and to some degree still am however I also realized something about facts in high school, by the very definition of a fact they must be subject to change so facts are as fluid as anything else in the world I have found much evidence to support the existence of my God and beyond that I need something bigger than myself to count on, I hate when Christians try to shove our beliefs on others, it only serves to push them away ,and it is wrong. The choice is for each person to make on their own, that is the way my god works. Christian doesn't mean we are perfect or infallible and any Christian who denies this truth ,well is lieing and that is between them and God to sort out.

@davebutton I know where your boss is getting the information he is speaking of youtube "Politics Prophecy and the supernatural" as well as the x22 reports, the evidence of these allegations is very convincing however I myself have not made 100% decision about it.

• @Dalqueen .. i agree with you completely:)
    In fact we say we have faith so we must be more loving and more understanding:)
    True

• Not sure if this story is true, but. . .

A man went to a psychotherapist, because he believed he was dead. The psychotherapist had a chat with him, and had an idea. The man agreed that dead people don't bleed, so the psychotherapist gave the man a pin to prick his finger, which of course bled.

"Looks like I was wrong", said the man. "Dead people DO bleed."

The difficulty with faiths, is that there is not a common way of behaving which would be acceptable to all of them, so conflict is guaranteed. Most of us have the faith system of our family, or those we most interact with, so it is just an accident of birth.

• edited July 2020

That is true.. but does not mean a faith is false. That's a fault of people.. the response to this is to look at the scriptures.. not how some 'Christians' behave.. same is true for any religion

• @geoff1000 Thanks for the advice! I'm done with you, and if there was a way to block you from the forums I would do that to. If you want a reason, it's because you are way to needy, preachy, and judgmental. Feel free to get the last word in. I will not be re-visiting this thread or your latest whine over such a non-issue. Get over it and move on! Bye-bye!

• Theres a lot in the Bible to show wisdom.. running water being used to cleanse / talking about blood being the source of life - these things were only brought to light by modern science in the 1800s or after

• edited July 2020

@Calm_Tangerine Actually I am. If I did not see Christ in you I would not spend the time. I got my degrees in bio chem and minored in physics. And I have had multitudes of christians bash the belief in science over the years. God and science are not mutually exclusive. Who created the intricate laws that run this place. Science is just a word for our understanding of His work. Their ridicule of my scientific endevores did nothing good for my view of religion, and I was a believer in God. Christians love to denigrate the idea of evolution instead of saying thats interesting but let me tell you how God has evolved me. Dude I promise you Im not busting on you, Im investing in you. The "church" has been using that line with atheists for a long time. Look at the world today, Is the church winning? Maybe we need to quote the Bible and not bumper stickers. I would say, I understand the atheistic view. I see the way this world is and how one can say there is no God or if there is He is a cruel joke on us. But it was revealed to me how it is a deception. God is not the cause of it but is saving us from it. And no matter if you believe in Him or not, live for Him or not. He is the good Father doing nothing but loving and doing what he can behind the scenes, waiting, hoping for you to come to Him. Atheist or not, He loves you personally forever.

• Ok I agree with you @snuggleme123 ..
    But i don't know how I can prove that I had no ill intent in my heart and mind wity that line.. you just jumped on it as a line I used to attack atheists.. not true.

• I agree.. us being good does nothing for God.. its all about love

• @Calm_Tangerine I know you had no ill will. I said right off the bat I know your heart is in the right place. But it does not always mater how your heart intended it. It matters how the receiver interprets it. I can only speak for the atheists I have spoken to who have heard that many times and it was at best an eye roll.

May this dead horse rest in peace.

(leaving with humor)

• Well you shouldn't just jump to conclusions sir.. I honestly don't think anyone would here.. especially since they spoke about faith and kind of mocked it.. but it's all good.

• Well @Calm_Tangerine despite my hearts desire, you have not received and interpreted what I have posted as I intended. Perhaps my failure will succeed.

In any event,
    God Bless