Paid/Free Hugs during Pandemic as a safer alternative to a Full Cuddle session?

With so much debate on how a cuddle session with Covid-19 precautions should look like, and how those precautions would impact the quality of the cuddling, I find myself wondering if there is a simpler and safer alternative for the time being, other than virtual sessions which lack the touch aspect altogether.
We know the main way the virus spreads is in droplets in our breathe through our nose and mouth, it's not as likely to spread through physical touch. Factors such as physical distancing and the amount of time spent in close contact with someone else play a huge role in the likelihood of virus transmission if either person is unknowingly infected.
With that in mind, it seems to me it would be a low risk to meet someone for a brief, yet thorough, hug for 5 minutes or less with masks on outdoors or a well-ventilated indoor space. It is safer because you don't have to worry about the extra elements of beds/couches/other furniture being cleaned/sanitized before and after every session. You can change clothes and/or shower after sharing a hug and have that be all you need to do. A traditional hug doesn't have your faces align, your face is on the shoulder of the person you're hugging, the other person's face is on your shoulder on the opposite side of where your face is. Add the masks and the limited contact time and I feel like that's probably the safest you can possibly be while sharing closeness and touch with another person right now. That certainly couldn't ever replace a longer and more traditional cuddle session the same way virtual sessions can't. However, I feel like sharing a masked hug is better than nothing during this extremely uncertain time. It can be enough to recharge your soul and your sense of human connection that we all need so desperately in times like these. It'll also still give you that dopamine rush that occurs when we have skin to skin contact.
What does everyone think? Pros would you ever be open to coming out with a rate for a hug and being hired for this?

Comments

• [Deleted User]Zundar (deleted user)

I think that while they'd be safer, safer and safe aren't the same thing.

I agree that it'd be better than nothing but that applies to virtual cuddling as well, which is an absolutely safe (at least when it comes to covid) alternative. We're finding out more and more about the long term effects of being infected and it doesn't just come down to if you survive you're fine, I think minimising risk as much as possible should be the goal rather than minimising it to an acceptable point when it comes to these sorts of things. Reducing meetings as much as possible will help things even if it's by the tiniest amount.

• @MattsWeather that is pretty well-thought out!

• I've wondered about hugs from behind, arms around the waist. No face-to-face contact, masks and good hand hygiene. Another possibility is holding hands. It's pretty easy to thoroughly sanitize your hands before and after, and people could easily sit a 3 feet apart. I could settle for sitting on a park bench for a while just holding hands.....

• @Zundar
    👍Sex with a condom is called "safeR sex".

The reason that cuddling is so psychologically pleasant, isn't the warmth or the pressure ; it is the knowledge that someone is sharing themselves with you, which is why doing it without consent is a criminal act. Knowing that there is a physical barrier, takes away some of that.

I like the idea of a cuddle curtain, so no extra clothing is being worn ; or sub-aqua cuddling, where the clothing is necessary for the environment. I've enjoyed hand-holding while we both wore ski gloves because of the cold, but wearing plastic gloves because of the virus isn't the same.

@geoff1000 that's a false equivalence, and I was specifically talking about covid as opposed to general safety measures.

• @Zundar
    I was agreeing with your point that a protected activity is safer than an unprotected activity, but isn't safe.

Not sure what prompted the hostility.

@geoff1000 ahh, I misunderstood sorry. I somehow assumed you meant the opposite, derp. There is/was no hostility.

• @Zundar
    We're good. 👍

• @geoff1000 you are hilarious bro!! 😂😆

• personally, I haven't been touched since February it's become quite maddening

• That’s very elaborately thought out, Matt! I see your point and have to agree to some extent. Whilst that seems to be the most logical explanation, I don’t think it is a reliable one. For example, when I got infected in March, I didn’t know I had it. And I was hugging my roommate and hanging out with her. We even shared meals together. And it was too late for me to quarantine myself when I realized that I was infected. Despite all of that she never got infected. On the other hand, one of my friends gave the virus to his coworker whom he barely shook hands with (they had different offices). So I think that it’s a matter of chance. We can do our part in taking precautions, but it’s still a hit or miss.

• @Miabear I am curious. Your friend who you said passed it to his coworker . How is it known that he passed it on to him ? In my experience it just seems really difficult to pin point it . Like I work in theee dialysis clinics, plus alternate weekends and some late afternoons between two different hospitals. Strange thing is I feel safer at work even though i am statistically at a greater risk of exposure than I do at the gas station or grocery store simply due to the amount of caution with my jobs. I am just wondering if your friends coworker didn't get it elsewhere, or on the flipside if he didn't give it to your friend but just wasn't showing symptoms at the time?

• What about giving side hugs? I did that with my Nana this weekend. You face isn't facing the other person's so in concept it's safer.

• Some people might naturally be unaffected by Covid-19, only 5% of people are susceptible to leprosy. That's why any trial of preventative treatments ( e.g. vaccines ) needs many participants.

If people can be infected but show no symptoms ( UK data suggests only 22% of positive cases in random testing, had symptoms at the time ), we can't assume that lack of symptoms, means they didn't catch it ; or that they weren't the cause of someone else catching it. This low "visibility" of carriers, is one of Covid-19's strongest weapons.

People get sick, because the virus is attacking their cells, before the immune system has woken up to attack it. That suggests a factor in the effect, is the amount of infection ( viral load ), and perhaps also how it enters the body. In some cases, the immune response might be triggered, before the virus has done any damage.

• [Deleted User]Mennahugs (deleted user)

I think personally I'm unaffected by COVID-19. I been to Georgia then traveled to Florida then traveled back to New York and my test came back negative. I would be open to meeting up for a masked hug.

• [Deleted User]kirey (deleted user)

Wearing mask, sanitized hands, sitting or standing back to back could be safer. Then maybe if possible, intertwine arms or hold hands like that.

Even safer, as difficult as it may be, would be to wait it out as much as possible.

• I am open to washing hands with soap and water, then masked cuddles. Personally it's difficult for me to keep my mask on for an hour so I would have to break at 30 minutes and go outside in fresh air, take a 5 minute break then resume. Otherwise I feel pretty good.

• @Mennahugs Just because you managed to get through your travels unaffected, doesn't mean it's a good idea. I know someone who died, someone who barely survived, and someone else who recovered from COVID-19. I wouldn't play with traveling such great distances. Bringing some detainees from Florida to a small town's detention center here in Virginia caused an outbreak there. I support people getting back to their lives best they can, but keeping it local is the responsible thing to do...

• @MattsWeather I haven't updated my profile, but have been putting together a variety of available services I can provide during these crazy times. If you're trying to be "safe," it seems like a lot of effort for a short hug, so the cost may seem more than it should be. But I have actually felt a lot of benefit just having a socially distant visit, with maybe some outstretched contact. That would probably be more worth the time and expense than for just a hug. 😇

• [Deleted User]Bles (deleted user)

Covid safe cuddle buddies.

Life habits and values are shared, understood and respected. Communication is maintained. Health and wellness promoting practices: good mental, hand and general personal hygiene. Mutual and shared. Perhaps occasionally getting tested if desired or deemed necessary.

Perhaps an opportunity to build those platonic cuddle relationships a few threads in the past months have suggested. A network of covid safe buddies.

Some are thriving now on that practice.

To each his own. As always. 🙏

• As the pandemic continues, I'm wondering how people feel about this option now? Back in July 2020 infections were relatively low in the NY/CT overall northeastern states and many people were going from in-person cuddling at that time. I'm sure as cases have gone up over the winter people have been more hesitant.

• I'm working. Require masks for inside sessions. So far so good. 🤞

• [Deleted User]arghdaddy (deleted user)

Yeah, I agree with what most are saying here. I wear a mask sanitize and also change the clothes I’m wearing before the session.