Your forum post profile photo and username shows publicly...

edited July 2020 in General

... in web (Google/Bing/Yahoo/etc) search even if your profile is set to be viewed by members only.

It's why I don't want to add my photo. Someone I know who isn't into this or looks down upon it or thinks I should do better could stumble on it, possibly causing friction with them, or someone with malicious or even good intentions could share it somewhere and cause fallout between personal and professional relationships.

While I understand why the site owner or admins might want the posts to display publicly, as I think it's a valuable resource and could allow people with this interest in their heart as I do to open up their scope and maybe even improve their lives (gasp!), if a member sets their profile to members-only, which hides their pic, the public forum posts should also hide their pic. Maybe it does already and I can't tell.

But there is a serious risk of fallout with a fringe interest like this in certain communities, regions, states, sites... you name it. I've seen people in the Mormon and other religious communities lose more for less, and while I do blame the people in those communities for what they've done, often they think they're doing the right thing and that the person with the fringe interest is worth ostracizing, admonishing, public shaming, and scarlett-lettering forever.

Comments

• Adding @Mark and @SoulcuddlerZ for comment.

• [Deleted User]RTL1970 (deleted user)

@davebutton:
    I Googled my profile out of curiosity recently and couldn’t access it because it was set to private, as in couldn’t be opened by a web search. It’s not difficult to restrict access if you want to.

• edited July 2020

@davebutton

While I think the username showing is reasonable, I completely agree that if a profile is set as members-only, the forum avatar should only show to people logged into the forum.

I'll get this investigated and will update this topic when a solution is in place.

• edited July 2020

@RTL1970 You're talking about your profile page, I'm talking about your forum posts and your username and profile pic from those posts showing publicly. You might be OK with that, but not everyone is, and it contradicts keeping your profile page members-only, which hides your pic.

• [Deleted User]RTL1970 (deleted user)
    edited July 2020

@davebutton:
    Not entirely sure what part of my comment led you to the conclusion that I “might be OK with that.”

• edited July 2020

@RTL1970

Well, you missed the point of the thread anyway, indicated by your reply saying "It’s not difficult to restrict access if you want to", showing that you either didn't understand the difference (of the profile page hiding a user's pic and username when restricted but not their pic and username on their public-facing forum posts), or you thought it didn't matter. So it looks like a blow-off, which made me say you might be OK with yours showing...

But then I really wasn't trying to explain anything to you, just was really for anyone else seeing your comment as saying it's no big deal or doesn't matter or makes no difference, when there is a difference, and the difference matters.

• edited July 2020

...if a profile is set as members-only, the forum avatar should only show to people logged into the forum.

That's now in place.

I've soft-closed this topic which allows you both to continue if you wish.

• @Mark
    Thanks for the prompt fix. 👍

• [Deleted User]Softsupport (deleted user)

@davebutton: I so get what your saying. My family and friends would not understand. No doubt even deter me by any means cause the amount risk there is to meeting strangers. My people are ssssoooooooooo conservative. What they don’t know won’t kill them and hopefully me too. The good feels so outweigh the risks. Just don’t cuddle blind. My pic is available only by request👍🏽