How would you describe the way it feels when someone plays with your hair?

If you like that sort of thing ~ ^^

I'm trying to write a character who experiences this (gentle combing, scratching, etc..) after being touch-starved for a long time and I'm just having some trouble describing the sensations or coming up with metaphors.

Comments

• It feels like a part of you has been neglected far more than any other part and When it finally gets a good deep scratch from a caring person equipped with perfectly long nails, it’s absolute bliss. Christmas in a cup 100%

• Being touched, sometimes feels like being touched, only in that very specific place. However, other times, it feels like being touched over a much larger area, or even one's whole body.

Think of the expression "a shiver running down one's spine", which can be triggered without touch ; or an orgasm, or an ASMR "braingasm".

Hair has no nerves, so it is the scalp that feels the sensation, as if the scalp was being touched ; and long hair protects the scalp from direct contact, so it probably becomes more sensitive. That means it is easier for it to trigger the "larger area" touch response.

Being touched over a large area, is normally associated with great intimacy, so having one's hair played with is probably similar to having one's naked back gently caressed by a hundred velvet gloves. A naked back breaks CC rules, for good reason ; but having one's hair played with, doesn't.

• [Deleted User]Zundar (deleted user)

Calming, soothing, pretty damn great.

• Thank you everyone! Keep 'em coming ~ XD

• As he gathers up my hair the fairies that dwell within are released. They hold hands and begin to dance about the nape of my neck. As his fingers clench and he begins to gently tug, the fairies, one after the other, dash on tiptoes down my spine and the backs of my legs, the sensation causing my toes curl. As he continues to pull, my head cranes back, my neck is exposed and absorbs the heat from his exhale causing the remaining resistance to ease and the warmth rapidly radiates through me. His next inhale draws a gentle waft of cool air across across the same spot and it's in that moment the fairies take flight, flitting about the room, their wings reflecting dazzling flecks of light as my eyelids flutter. His grip eases and as my hair slips from his grasp, my head returns to rest on his chest. There's no longer tension, it's all been released, and as I settle back into him, feeling him beneath me, listening to his heartbeat, and matching the rise and fall of each breath, the fairies have begun descending, returning to me to nest once again... Until next time...

• Personally not a big fan but I love doing to other guys

• Tingly, invigorating, and soothing. :)

• I like my hair and or head being played with (despite not having much hair), it still feels relaxing 😎!!!

• Soothing, comforting, and blissful :)

• If someone starts playing with hair they can't stop, this is their life now 😁

• (INTENSE SCRIBBLING) Thank you everyone!!

If anyone else wants to add, please do!

• @EarthlyAngel003 ~ Once you've finished your writing will you share it with us?

Also ~ here's another way I interpret the feelings of having my hair played with...

As his nurturing fingers comb through my hair, I can feel the tangled knots of stress loosening their hold on my scalp. With each pass of his hand, one after the other, they catch between his fingers, sliding down the strands and dropping to the floor. I'm left feeling slightly lightheaded and euphoric with my entire being feeling free. It's a freedom that allows me to let go of the outside world, be fully present in the moment, and allows for an increase in the harmony between my partner and myself as my barriers to being fully in-tune with them are gently brushed away.

• @quixotic_life Oh! Thank you for another addition!!

Ahhhh, I don't know! Maybe?? It's this very specific scene that probably won't take place for a few chapters XD It's also a fanfiction so I'm a little embarrassed but maybe!!!

There is this beautiful thread of cuddle themed short stories buried in the forums somewhere. Once I finish writing the scene maybe I'll add it to that XD

Thank you again! Thank you everyone! Please feel free to keep adding. Even if I don't end up using everything, it's such a joy reading about how everyone feels about it ^^

• Its alright i suppose

• I love my hair played with. The small slight caress of a fingertip help me relax. Soothing, caring. Definitely gives a good tingly feeling when ive got a nice pair of hands running through my brunette hair😊

• Honestly, it feels amazing, I love to be touched and when my hair is being caressed by someone, it feels like tender loving care and I feel like my defenses go down and I open up to the person.

• My grandfather didn't mind people playing with his hair, as long as he could have it back when he wanted to leave the house.

• The way it feels? My brain flatlines. I stop thinking about 10 billion things at once. I am focused on the sensation of fingers touching my hair and face and scalp, and it can be 10 seconds or 10 minutes and that is all of what I'm aware. When they stop, then time starts flowing again and my brain picks up the threads of the day.

• Maybe we should campaign for the police to use that, instead of tasering and restraint. Imagine a bank-robbing perp holding a gun at a hostage's head, suddenly feeling the delicious sensation of fingers running through their hair, accompanied by soothing words.

Perhaps negotiators should be trained to use ASMR trigger words.

My guess is that many violent criminals, have never had the feeling of complete brain stop during a good cuddle ; it's more powerful than many illegal drugs.

• @geoff1000 Asmr trigger words XD That's good ~

• That's one of my very favorite part of cuddling. Just the feel of someone combing through your hair is very free feeling and relaxing!!!

• No pattern with ocasional upbrushing from my hairline and i am out in no more than a few minutes.
    I
    have to sit uncomfortably so i dont pass out during the clipper part of haircuts....im a mess😊

• [Deleted User]born2soar1 (deleted user)
    edited September 2020

@geoff1000 hahaha that’s awesome!

@EarthlyAngel003 Great question and I must say, your artwork is SOO sick! I’m terrible at drawing so I appreciate a good artist. But about your question: For me it feels so nurturing, like something I wish I got when I was a kid. I just feel like a child again in the best way possible; innocence returns; stress deflates; the mind calms and your body at ease. I cuddled on Monday with a friend I met from this site and she started scratching and playing with my head/very little hair and I was tranquilized. Closest I’ve been to heaven without death 😅 haha. Anyway, I hope that helped.
    P.S. Wish I could cuddle you but neither of us host lol. Would’ve been great

• Unknown, I'm balding and shave my head, so even now after having been lazy since at least June, it's still not long enough to run fingers through, and what is there is only in the back.

• @born2soar1 Oh none of these are mine! XD I left the artists' signatures on but maybe I should post links in the description too.
    (This does actually make me want to add my own though, I think I might!)
    Sorry I missed you XD State of the world, the timing of it all ~

@BrianL Scalp massages and head scratches count too ^^

Thank you everyone for your additions!! This is great, I'm really enjoying reading these. XD <3

• hypnotic, soothing, nurturing
    Makes me feel like my bones are turning to jelly (in a good way!)

• [Deleted User]lovelyhugs (deleted user)

@SilveryMoon you are so right but only if you are doing it right.

I’m a black women with naturally curly hair. Everyone touched my hair in a session and I always tolerated but never liked it. Then one guy did it right.

With my hair you move by brushing a lock to the side with hand/finger. If in a fro lightly crush the edge of my fro to gauge the softness. Gently push away like clay for a delicate sculpture. Tips with a perfect curl twine between your fingers. 🤣never string your fingers through my hair.

When it was done right my eyes roll up into my head, had trouble talking, and felt all melty. Had no idea it could feel so good.

• @lovelyhugs I've known my whole life how amazing having my hair touched makes me feel.
    I've chatted up countless shampoo girls so it would take longer to wash my hair 😁. I'd tip big BEFORE they'd start so they would indulge me. I've asked men I've been involved with if they'd brush my hair (had to teach each one.) I was hesitant each time I asked; would they be like, "Huh? No thanks." Without exception, after the first time THEY would ask ME, "Can I brush your hair?" LOL. Apparently it's not only me finding it hypnotizing. I'd be half unconscious, dying to give in and let my body be a warm bowl of oatmeal....and they'd STILL be brushing. 🤣🤣

• The "£20 note test" for flu, is to offer the patient a £20 note, which they can keep if they merely get out of bed and walk a few feet to collect it. In a true case of flu, the patient will stay in bed, because they feel so unwell ; if they get up, it's just a bad cold.

Cuddling could probably be tested in the same way. If a person cuddling wouldn't get up to collect a £20 note, it's probably going very well. 😀

The ultimate of this is the male Praying Mantis, which will continue having sex while its head is being eaten by its partner.

• [Deleted User]verona (deleted user)

When I was in daycare as a kiddo there was a lady named Jessie she would take her time to push my hair behind my ears and comb her fingers across my scalp and to this day I think that’s why I remember her name it made such an impact on me. As an adult I crave that type is touch to a point that I feel completely relaxed and trusting of anyone willing to take that time on me. Some times I even find myself twisting my own hair when I am deep in thought and needing that human contact. My head and neck are probably the most sensitive part of my body honestly. AMAZING!!!