Why do people upload a screenshot of a picture for their profile photo?

Like https://www.cuddlecomfort.com/tinee

I tend to believe these accounts are fake, and if the picture is of a woman, especially if it's a non-selfie pic, the account has been created by a man trying to scam others through outside sources like Snapchat etc.

I just don't understand why someone would not upload the original pic, and instead take extra steps (intentionally or unwittingly) to take a screenshot of the pic then upload that... screenshots are what people do in apps like Snapchat when they can't download the pic...

Comments

• [Deleted User]Zundar (deleted user)
    edited October 2020

There's the chance that they're fake/scams, but I choose to believe the simplest aswer which is that the people uploading them aren't very tech savvy unless shown otherwise. I once saw a picture of a wall or fridge with a piece of paper taped up, that piece of paper was a printed photo that someone took of an entire facebook page when the important part was another picture in the middle of it - when they could have just printed that picture directly. The exception being when they're a person at an age where they should know how to take and save pictures properly, then I'd agree with your assumption that they're a fake.

• I tend to use screenshot to grab pictures, because : files can have viruses, and I usually want to crop them.

If someone wants to seriously scam, they'll put in more effort. They could for instance print a copy of the image, and photograph it, so it is "first generation".

Many sites suggest scams can be detected by bad spelling or grammar, but there's a lot of that about.

• The photo has someone with purple hair, against a purple background, suggesting it is "artistic" ; but they also have no details yet, so probably not worth too much effort.

• It certainly doesn't look like there interested in any sessions. I tend to believe it may be a troll

• edited October 2020

I dont see anything wrong with the users pic they chose to post and if I were a new member I would think it is really strange that someone posts my pic and profile link to dessiminate the legitimacy of me being on here .

I mean at least they aren't posting a pic of another person on their profile claiming it is them when in actuality it is say some bearded model in Oregon or something like that

• [Deleted User]CuddleMeLater (deleted user)
    edited October 2020

As @Zundar says, there are plenty of people who do this kind of thing just because they don't know how to use their phone.

Also a high proportion of female enthusiasts - in some areas it seems like the majority - have basically empty profiles like this. See for instance this one or this one. One's been on the site since 2012; one since May this year. No picture, no About Me, no karma. Both have visited the site fairly recently. What are they doing on the site? Are they actually cuddling anyone? Who knows, but my point is this is common and I don't think it indicates they are a scam or a troll. If it were someone trying to scam, wouldn't they use an actual, attractive photo of a woman?

• Not sure why you care so much about this one account. Just move on ? I ignore the many random accounts with little profile info.

• @CuddleMeLater
    "wouldn't they use an actual, attractive photo of a woman?"

Exactly. I reported one picture which was taken from an on-line lingerie catalogue. Google found that.

• edited October 2020

Someone opened a Tinder [ edit. Bumble ] account using Sharon Stone's details - it actually was her.

• I was going to upload a photo of a really handsome man on my profile, but the user-facing camera on my phone isn't working. ☹️

The guy in the phone shop said I broke the lens. He also asked me to please put on a face-covering, which surprised me, because the UK wasn't yet mandating that ; it was 2018.

• If it’s a picture of a person and not an art piece, it could be that they’re not tech savvy at all. Sometimes they may screenshot their Facebook pics just because they’re not aware they can save the photo through hold-tapping on them.

• @davebutton

At least they have a pic and how refreshing! Also, IMO, it's kinda nice. Especially the caption when you click on it, "I am none of your business."

Tech savvy or not, this is a new user who may not yet have realized that the CC "crop" feature doesn't actually work beyond the photo bank page, or just doesn't care because it doesn't matter.

The issue I see here, is you calling out a specific user for this type of profile pic (or any other annoyance), in the first place and comes off as both suspect and rude.

Further, it could be a selfie, an original art work, a photo passed through one of those alteration apps, or maybe one that was found online somewhere - as long as it's not of another human you're trying to pass yourself off as, because... well... just because, either it resonates with you or it doesn't.

The user chose that image as an identifier and it's beyond me why you care or why you felt moved to comment on it in the forum.

Indeed, it's "none of your business." Lol

Maybe consider just shrugging and moving on next time.

@Zundar ~ If I'm understanding your example, some (myself included) may use pics like that in some spaces because they're pre-distorted (it's hard to see any details) and becomes even more so when zoomed in on.

• [Deleted User]lovelyhugs (deleted user)

@davebutton ... anonymity and comfort level of exposure. At first I did not have a pic at all. Some always need to play it safe.

I have family and friends that would not understand. Quite possibly follow someone the rest of their life in some negative way. Cuddling is still not seen as normal and legitimate by many.

I do it because to heck with the risk. I find actual pics or likeness get more cuddle action so to heck with the risk. It feels too good. For me benefits outweigh the negatives.

• @lovelyhugs
    You added a pic after you felt comfortable. Without naming anyone, some people take their pics down when they feel uncomfortable.

My pic is valid. I wear a light blue hoodie, and carry a pink comfort pillow.

I know😂 it’s like there thinking ...what have I done!

It’s a good... different people...different levels of comfort.

Correction...😂 it’s all good 👍🏽

• @davebutton personally, I would never use a screenshot photo. I would have no reason to do that because I have a million photos on my phone so it makes no sense 😂

If you’re worried about someone being a fake or a troll and they message you, request photos, request info, etc. Have your own due-diligence process in place. The internet is sketchy, that’s just the way it is. However... If they’re not contacting you or bothering you in some way and you’re just complaining about a profile to complain about it, move on.

• Like @quixotic_life said it is much better than posting a pic of someone else and passing it off as your own....

• [Deleted User]APV (deleted user)

I would NEVER use a screenshot as a profile pic. My primary pic is a bit distorted because of the site demanding 400x400 minimum dimensions and I cropped my face in a pic @MissX took 2 years ago. If it wasn’t for the pickiness of the dimensions I wouldn’t have to use ILoveIMG’s Resizer tool. At least I also posted a selfie of me wearing my StretchLab shirt.

• edited October 2020

Yay! I just found another user who blocked me! So fun! Now I get to try and figure out why!
    Thanks @(you know who you are) I enjoy a good mystery...

edited to remove the name of the user who blocked me...