Oklahoma

Where's all the okies

Comments

• Welcome to the site! OKC, here.

• Tulsa here

• @MelanieL looks like it's down to just you holding the fort down!

• I don’t live in Oklahoma but I sure do love going to Beavers Bend in Southeast Oklahoma.

• @pmvines ...and another one bites the dust!

• @MelanieL they were so excited to hear from you that they went and got banned 🀣

• @pmvines I have that effect on some people... they can’t handle all of this sass and class. πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

• ...@MelanieL I live in MO, but I grew up in OK many, many, many years ago near the big town of Deer Creek, not the one by Edmond, the one way up there almost to KS, it's the one that almost ain't no more...πŸ˜–πŸ˜‚...

• @MGKelly63 That is a beautiful part of the state! @oldude I know where that particular Deer Creek is located. Sadly, there are quite a few little towns that are in the same situation as the northern Deer Creek.

• [Deleted User]lovelyhugs (deleted user)

@Melancholy
    Just curious πŸ€” what situation?

• [Deleted User]lovelyhugs (deleted user)

@MelanieL
    What is the situation with northern Deer Creek?

• @lovelyhugs There are two Deer Creeks in Oklahoma. The one in question is a town up in the northern part of the state. It is a very very small town that is no longer flourishing, and the population just keeps getting smaller and smaller.

• ...I graduated from Deer Creek High in 1971, the population of the town was 99 & has gone down from there, at that time it was all the rage to close the small schools & consolidate, DC consolidated with the closest town Lamont, Lamont got the high school, DC got the grade school, losing the the high school was a big blow to an already hurting community, farming is the economy & family farms can't make it, no jobs, so mostly young people leave, in 71 there were 2 gtocery stores, 3 churches, hardware store, mechanic, 2 gas stations, a cafe, & the grain elevator, at this time, what's left is the grain elevator & unattended gas pumps, lots of abandoned houses & businesses. there have been oil booms periodically that pumped up the economy for 4 or 5 yrs & then go bust. the recent ray of hope has been the wind industry, which was booming until the state govt went broke πŸ™„ & pulled the tax incentive rug from under the developers. I am very cautiously optimistic that the wind farms will come back if we can experience some climate change, as in, political climate change πŸ˜– there are a lot of little towns around the area in the same boat. it is sad but for the folks that have been able to hang on, like my 2 siblings it's still a good place to live...😊...

• ...@MelanieL...thank you for your support!...☺️...

• @oldude You are most welcome! :)