Inside the Coronavirus

I thought this was an interesting article about how this novel virus works. It blocks signals that your cells give off that triggers an immune response which is why it's able to spread before showing symptoms. It also has the ability to proof-read and correct new copies that prevents mutations that could cripple the virus.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/interactive/inside-the-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR0nBQsZ8K8ARvVjxMYfLHKPgJ6cfI5mFwY-vzvllpSNaO8h5vMYklbrt9U

Comments

• edited October 2020

I love science and I'm in an area surrounded by science deniers when it makes them uncomfortable... and we wonder why our economy hasn't recovered yet when so many are ignoring the recommendations unlike other countries who've had more things open up because of it.

• I really dislike the term "the new normal". There is nothing normal about distancing ourselves from people. Humans are social creatures and being separated for too long isn't good for our mental health. At the same time, I want to destroy anyone who calls COVID a hoax or not that serious.

• It's serious. I've not even caught cold in years but this makes up for all of them.

• @davebutton - the scientists cannot agree amongst themselves, they give conflicting information. First they told us to wear masks, then not to wear masks, now to wear them again. And the 6 foot distance has been proven insufficient, I read at least 15 feet is needed. Some doctors say hydroxychloroquine is an effective therapeutic and some say it isn't. So when you say 'recommendations', whose recommendations?

• @ukguy - This is a new virus. They are continuingly learning about it and updating their recommendations as they learn new info about how this virus works. That is literally how science works. It takes time to study something so new and figure out the best plan for it.

• @UKGuy that's because things evolve and change and you have to be able to be flexible especially when first learning how to combat something. I'm glad the people researching and treating this are able to be flexible in their thinking and willing to change direction when needed.

• Randy Marsh from South Park started the pandemic.

• edited October 2020

Some things are the 'new normal'. My company occupied two buildings. When the pandemic hit, they were forced to allow 95% of the employees to work from home. Managers who were against their employees working from home were forced to accept it, and actually found remote employees could function productively. We hold all meetings online. Almost all remote employees will remain so when the pandemic is over. The company will condolidate the few remaining onsite employees into one building. They will save a lot of money by leasing only one building instead of two. There will be less traffic on the roads and less pollution.

• @UKGuy - I work for a security company and we weren't even allowed to have cell phones on the floor because they have cameras. Now we're working from home, so I'm not sure how they enforce that rule.

• edited October 2020

@UKGuy

First they told us to wear masks, then not to wear masks, now to wear them again

When did scientists say not to wear masks during the pandemic after saying to wear them?

the 6 foot distance has been proven insufficient

Not according to the CDC: "it is important to stay at least 6 feet away from others when possible, even if you - or they - do not have any symptoms"

That kind of gets in the way of in-person cuddling, doesn't it? But that's not the point.

The below link may refer to the "15 feet" rule you're referencing, but it's not 15 feet, it's 6 feet at 15 minutes...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/contact-tracing/contact-tracing-plan/appendix.html#contact

Some doctors say hydroxychloroquine is an effective therapeutic and some say it isn't.

Good, I'm glad doctors have expressed their opinion on it... but you don't just want to weigh some doctors with other doctors, do you? You want to weigh the preponderance of evidence or take the scientific community and medical professionals seriously in their consensus... which is that it's too problematic to be considered a cure.

The "recommendations" I'm referring to are: the scientific community's and medical professionals' recommendations. They're reported on in the news, from professional corporate, government, and international health authority sources. I'm not going to find and name them for you, but I'm sure you've seen them, and you can find their recommendations doing basic web searches. Again this is based on consensus.

If you don't care to believe them, then stay away from me and anyone I care about in every way.

• @davebutton - I got in so many heated arguments on Facebook with people thinking that the pandemic is a joke. Nobody wants to take this seriously.

• @Mike403 - I know the feeling... I'm tired of arguing with people about it, but I'm fine informing them. It just seems like a no-brainer to understand and try to do what professionals recommend when it comes to their field of expertise XD

I mean, do I doubt the electrician when they tell me not to cross certain wires in my outlets? No, I don't. However, I can look up the expert consensus anyway, or ask other electricians... and still go with the preponderance of evidence.

I can learn the easy way or the hard way... in this case though, wearing masks minimizes the spread of the pathogen, so it's not just a matter of people protecting themselves.