Where do you invest your money for retirement?

Comments

• I put my money in my prison wallet. It is relatively safe there until the next movement.

• I split it up mostly between ETFs: VTI, VXUS, BND, and BNDX.

• edited November 2020

People have lost everything due to covid, so this topic seems a bit tone deaf right now.

• @DrDeb This is a conversation more people should have and feel comfortable discussing in order to help each other for the future. It’s not tone deaf at all because of COVID.

• @DrDeb @Allerdale - Right. COVID and the current state of the economy isn't gonna last forever.

• [Deleted User]DrCuddleBug (deleted user)

Apparently I've been investing in hotel rooms for cuddle sessions. Money well spent.

• @DrCuddleBug - I always thought an investment is something that you later sell to(hopefully) earn more than you put in. I'm not sure how to sell a prior hotel stay. Maybe you can teach me.

@Mike403 I would disagree with your limited understanding of "investment." I believe I am investing in my current and future wellbeing through the expenses accrued in cuddling, as well as the wellbeing of my partner's. An investment looks to some kind of return, but that doesn't have to be a financial one.

• @DrCuddleBug Absolutely, cuddling is an emotional investment well done! We’re just talking about financial investments in this forum. Buut hospitality stocks are great investments. I’ve had great profits in them since I bought so low.

@Allerdale I realize that. I was just throwing in a light comment (well, in my original post). That said, I've never known any of these forum to stay purely on topic. 😊

Carry on.

• @DrCuddleBug @Allerdale - I feel that any emotional benefit gained from cuddling goes away not long after the session is over and withdrawal symptoms soon happens if you dont get back into cuddling which I'm experiencing now due to COVID.

I need to get a wife who loves to cuddle.

• Right now bitcoin 🤷🏽‍♀️

• edited November 2020

A technical chart analysis ( looking at 5Y)of bitcoin shows the currency forming a “ cup” ... after the cup is illustrated and it forms a little handle ( the cup with handle) ( which shakes out the the profit takers ) there’s a possible breakout on the up side .

• Yeah I believe it and invested some in Tesla also but nothing beats a good ole savings account . Parents have taught me since I’ve been a kid to save money . I Had to stop my 401k since I got laid off . 🤷🏽‍♀️

• [Deleted User]Mmart (deleted user)

@DrDeb
    I share your sentiment about those unfortunate people who gave lost everything. I volunteer at many organizations that work to help those people as do many other volunteers.
    With that said I still see this as a constructive and useful thread for others.
    I am invested in 18 diverse mutual funds and several individual stocks. I am fortunate to have no debt also and great financial advisors.

• I have to say, having thought about it since the thread started, that this is an inappropriate topic for this forum.

It is of course a sensible and important topic, and very appropriate for many forums. But not here.

This is a place where people come to for help. Where people come because they are vulnerable, or because they wish to help those who are vulnerable. Naturally some are rich and some are poor. But the rich have other places to discuss how rich they are. And the poor do not need to have their noses rubbed in it.

OP, I appreciate you meant no harm, but in this case IMHO you have made an honest mistake. This is a thread to which only some members of the forum can contribute. That makes it exclusive in a bad way, and that makes the forum feel unwelcoming.

I haven't Flagged this because we probably need to talk about it. However I hope I have made my view clear......

Moderators, please close this thread.

• Actually, there is too much censorship going on in these forums. If people do not like the thread then move on to one that appeals to you. Just because it might not appeal to you does not make it a target for closure. Several people have contributed, and no animosity has surfaced other than those who think the thread is “bad”? So, where are we to draw the line? There is a long thread on food with lots of pictures of foods I can’t eat because of a life long health problem. I have been excluded! Close that thread! No, I simply do not look at that thread. Like wearing a mask, why is that so hard?

• edited November 2020

@CuddleDuncan - Seriously? Properly investing is how most people become rich. Nobody became a millionaire overnight(other than the few who inherited the money which is rare). It's nice to read about others ideas. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I still invest for the future.

• edited November 2020

@ funcartel some of the thread readers who would like to comment prep opinions , withhold posting , edit over a period of a day or several days to make sure no one is offended, then , have a polished comment on a subject ready find to their dismay the discussion closed , oh well

• edited November 2020

If you want to be wealthy some day, my advice is to not hate on rich people. Try to imitate what they do so you can one day be like them.

I find it interesting that someone can decide what the thread is about and who can participate and who is excluded. These threads are open to all who choose to share their thoughts. I totally agree with @FunCartel. Choose the threads that you are interested in and pass on the others.

• edited November 2020

I dont invest but I do have a lot of plants and shoes

• edited November 2020

@CuddleDuncan There is no one harassing any person on this thread. This is an open discussion intended for everyone to learn from each other on how to have a successful future. Almost everyone has lost a lot due to COVID so do not request financial conversations to be silenced because you may have also been impacted, we are all doing the best we can and I personally have made a lot of sacrifices to continue investing as I was pre-COVID. You need to leave this thread if it so severely hurts you, not silence conversations you don’t like.

• Too many people treat this site as their kingdom. How dare you say something that isn't relevant to them. Smh

@Allerdale
    Well stated.

• edited November 2020

In other investment discussion: I recently added a few cloud server ETFs to my Robinhood account (where I make more risky moves). In comparison with my conservative Roth IRA, it’s already doing far better. Highly recommend picking those up for growth exposure in the future. You can find out which companies in the ETFs are bringing in the most growth and invest individually in it after.

• @Allerdale We never had the chance to get into investment conversations. But again, I am impressed with your astuteness. Next time we meet let's talk investment strategies.
    I am a retired federal employee. While working I was invested with the Thrift Savings Plan. In that program you can invest in several types of programs including dates at which you will retire. Those programs invest mostly in stocks but as you get closer to the date you've selected it adjusts your investments and has more in bonds. However, I didn't use one of those. Instead, I invested entirely in large, mid, and small cap mutual fund stocks and international stocks. When I retired I transferred my investments to Edelman Financial Engines. I'm not a risk-adverse investor, so my current distribution of my portfolio is approximately 70% stocks and 30% bonds. TSP and now Edelman has been good to me.

• I dont play video games , write romance novel style fiction about cuddling, or want to debate about the coronavirus , but I'm not upset that those threads exist

• Moderator comment. [Sid]

Generally, if the OP requests to close a thread fairly soon after it is initiated, then moderators may do so. If a thread has contributions by other members, we do not close the thread out of fairness and consideration. If someone wants to edit their comment in a thread, they are welcome to do so. If someone wants their own comment outright deleted, they may flag their own comment or message a moderator to do so.

People are welcome to read, subscribe, or pass on the threads and topics of which they're interested.

Carry on, cuddlers.

• @Vin909 Yesssss! I’m a total finance nerd haha I could go on for hours. Mutual funds is something I have not tried yet, mostly because I’ve been learning the other strategies. Dave Ramsey talks a lot about them. Did you hire a broker to set that up for you? I’d love to be able to afford that hands off expertise but I’m not an MD yet 🤣