🧵A stitch in time saves nine/Applied old time sayings

edited November 2020 in General

...Randomness Resumed...

I've been burning the candle at both ends and am plum tuckered! Additionally, I was recently the recipient of an over the top "unfriending" notification. As the saying goes, "There’s no accounting for taste."

Tomorrow, I'm meeting with a tailor (in reference to the tread topic) for some alterations. I have hopes the visit will be much like the last time I was off on my jollies, visiting a well respected designer friend.

Perhaps we'll go to dinner after, where we'll remember...

Comments

• On your jollies ~

An old fashioned way of saying on holiday. Jolly means happy, so your jollies are supposed to be a happy trip.

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

I like "lay out in lavender." It sounds like such a pleasant thing to do to someone!

• edited November 2020

Ooh, that's a good one. I like that.

@quixotic_life sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Hope you are ok.

• [Deleted User]arghdaddy (deleted user)

I like these quirky posts. But this is not the same as...

"Snitches get stitches"

• BOOOOOOOOO for over the top "unfriending" notifications. That's no fun at all.....
    Hmmmmmm..... an OLD saying? Maybe not old but definitely TIMELESS. 😂

• edited November 2020

@arghdaddy LOVE the profile pic. 😊

snitches get stitches

• Resting on your laurels can be used in opening messages on this site. For example, after telling a bit about yourself you may say:

“So I was wondering if you would like me to come over and rest on your laurels—I am sure you have a lot!”

Most everyone will know that the warning don’t rest on your laurels is reserved for someone who has lots of past positive achievements so it is a compliment.

• @FunCartel ~ that's awesome!

@littermate ~ posting here, though asked in another thread, because it pertains to this one...

... "I didn't follow the tailor thing, though I tried. Spell it out for me... my sense is you got hurt somehow and I'd love to hear about it. <3 to you."

Thank you! Yes...

... something happened to push me over an edge I'd already been teetering on for a few days. I blame myself and don't really want to get into the specifics (because I'm still processing), other than to say it had been a tough week, with too much reality, too little sleep, and not enough support. So it didn't take much, for me to feel beside myself and become reactive.

The phrase, "A stitch in time saves nine" is related to darning, or mending, clothes. If you catch the hole when small, it may only need one stitch (in my case a cuddle) to repair vs. not addressing it and the hole becoming larger, then needing nine stitches. I believe it came about due to the premiums on people's time and resources, but whatever the way, I felt it applied.

My original randomness related to "calling the tailor" (one known for sewing and in my case cuddling 😉) along with using the phrase, is ...

... related to my feeling like, if I could have someone to hold me for a few hours/to overnight, that perhaps I wouldn't completely unravel to the point of needing a whole new outfit (or a medical professional to step in).

The reason I was conflicted...

... about, "calling the tailor" was that I was wondering if seeking an overnight cuddle/repair (when I didn't feel I could reciprocate) would be at all fair or reasonable to ask of them (because I was thinking they might say, "Yes"). And, if people had experience or concerns, related to their reasoning, that they would share them.

I'm still curious what people think about all that, even though the time has passed...

Hope this helps clear up my thought process.
    and thanks again

• @sillysassy ~ You have some of the cutest and most bestest gifs! 💗 That tippy baby made me think of...

"Like taking candy from a baby"

The context of how I've heard this phrase used (mainly in sitcoms with laugh tracks), led me to think they were implying something was easy to do but it didn't make sense. It does now though (silly me)... Still, Thanks Grammarist!!

"The idiom carries the connotation of doing something unfair or shameful because it is so easy to do, and is often used to describe an action that is sneaky or underhanded."
    "Obviously, a baby can not defend himself against an adult."

I was hung up on thinking of the fallout of taking candy from a toddler/child (or me) and the fit one would have to deal with for doing so. Maybe easy to take, but not so easy to manage.
    Lol ~ 🤦‍♀️

and other "baby" related sayings:
    Like a kid in a candy store
    don't Throw the baby out with the bath water
    Bun in the oven
    Born on the wrong side of the blanket (some old-timey judgy shade)
    Robbing the cradle
    Sleep like a baby
    -&-
    The smallest things take up the most room in your heart ~ 💞

• @quixotic_life I don't know all the people involved or the situation, but I believe that sometimes we can be the "needy" one and lean into someone else, as long as we've made that clear and they have agreed, and that perhaps either we leave it there, because we asked permission and they were willing, or we seek to balance the scales by being there for them sometime should they need to more be the receiver. What someone gets out of being with us, if they say "yes" is kind of their business, as long as their "yes" is a real one, even if we feel like a big ol' needy pile of bones.

Let me know if actually spoke to your question. <3

• @littermate ~ Totally!! I was just hoping that I'd answered yours/cleaned up the "thread" I'd been weaving with...

I really appreciate how you put all that, and hope my "tailor" knows how much I appreciate their "service" and have ordered a mess of supplies to help with restocking ~ That I'm here for them too!! ♡

• @quixotic_life Yah. I had a friend tell me once that people really enjoy helping if they can be shown how. That there's an intrinsic reward in it-- to be useful to another. And of course it's nice to do paybacks. Glad you have a someone like that. :)