How do you overcome the cold weather blues?

edited November 2020 in General

Recently, I've been enervated by the cold and overwhelmed by responsibilities. It doesn't help that my dog was recently diagnosed with kidney disease and I need to wait for payday to get him the low protein food that's been prescribed for him.

I need to take supplements to improve my mood and energy levels. Some cuddles would be nice.

For anyone who relates: How do you deal with seasonal depression?

Comments

• I'm sorry to hear about your dog. :(

I usually don't feel too bad in the winter season, but I think it helps to find things you enjoy doing no matter what season it is. I think there's good things to be found in all seasons - kinda like, "It's cold? Let's go skiing." I know it might sound corny to try to see the positive, but I think it helps to stay optimistic. If you dwell too much on the negative things, then that's where your mind will be, even when there's no need to.

• Winter topless gardening.

I used to get a bit of SAD, and I found that getting some sunlight - or even just daylight - on my skin really helped.

I must have resembled a failed Vladimir Putin lookalike.

• I try to practice gratefulness (you don't appreciate what you have until you lose unless, unless you reflect on the value it provides in your life), get some vitamin D, workout, and make a cup of hot chocolate!

• By moving to south Texas. But it doesn’t seem to be working 😕.

• @sunnysideup Being thankful for what you have definitely helps.

@cualtzin The issue with moving to south Texas is the hot humid weather in the summer though..

• I moved from Virginia to Texas. Seems to have helped me. Most I've needed is a light jacket since moving here. Only seen snow once, and that was a light dusting that was gone by morning except in the shadows.

• edited November 2020

I like cold weather. To me hot westher is oppressive . Plus I have an absurd amount of outer wear

• @pmvines I'm the same way. I prefer cooler weather and tend to not feel comfortable in hot weather. And if I stay in hot weather for very long, I usually start to feel a bit tired too. I'm the type who often continues to wear shorts until the weather gets really cold.

• @misternatureboy ~ I'm sorry about your pupper and hope you can get what you need for him soon.

By no means am I the poster child for how to beat the winter blues, but there are a few things that have helped when the darkness of this time of year starts creeping it's way in...

One is to start planning and beginning holiday gifts for others (our whole family has been gradually moving toward the homemade something for everyone type gifts over the last few of years and has resulted in some fabulous exchanges).

Another is either writing about a past event that brought me joy, making up one for the future I wish to come true, or planning out a spring break road trip/vacation to visit a special someone or someplace (something exciting to can look forward to).

Other times, I'll just snuggle down with my doggo and click through the internet looking at the work of various artists until I'm either consumed by my adoration of other people's talents or I become inspired to create something of my own.

And then there are those moments of insight, where I remember that this is a natural time within the cycle of the seasons to not only give thanks for all that I have, but to grieve the things that haven't come to pass, the losses, the regrets and the pain. To allow myself the intermittent and varied degree of tears to fall, along with the leaves, rain and snow, making space within for whatever is to come next spring.
    I've learned it's best for one to feel their feelings, instead of fighting them, and now just so happens to be a natural time to practice. 💓

(((Hugs))) to you and your furry little buddy...
    🤗💗🤗

• Keep yourself as busy and occupied as possible. When not working, I'm involved in history research for UC Berkeley.

• A list I've collected over the years: find a hobby, call a friend, learn to cook really good food and enjoy it, an uplifting Netflix series, therapy, keeping your attention on the present rather than in the head on thoughts (that's why a hobby can help), just letting it be and not turning it into "a problem" but instead, seeing it as weather, uplifting guided meditations if you like that sort of thing, take up an instrument, make art (even bad art can channel darkness into something else), plug into some kind of online community (a regular yoga class, some other kind of group that meets that you can have contact with others through, a FB group where you can share, something like this forum).... a few ideas. <3

• @littermate has some good suggestions. I find the best escape from low feelings is comedy/humour or watching a competetive sporting contest (football, soccer, rugby, tennis or whatever you are into). Also, I like watching travel videos.

• @Mr. Nature Boy:
    Your profile shows two CA locations, so I am utterly confused.

What exactly constitutes "cold" for you?

I've spent last 3-4 winters in Montana and North Dakota, so I can't say I get winter blues. Me and my Husky enjoy down to -40 F (-40 'C).

We do draw the line at around -50 'F, that starts to get a bit nippy to hop around.

• As mentioned earlier, competition is good. Compete with the cold—eat ice cream, drink iced tea, wear shorts. Out cold the cold!

• For me when I was younger I looked foward to skiing , al tho on the east coast the double diamond slopes are considered bunny slopes on the west coast so I hear , I’m too old now for that but now I’m taking up blacksmithing just the thing for cold weather the new propane forges are availible No more lighting up a coal fire

• Thank you, @FlyingToaster and @quixotic_life.

Great lists/suggestions, @quixotic_life and @littermate. I've dusted off my journal and may even start writing in it. 🙂

@Siberian76 and all you people whose blood runs hot--not everyone is built for temps 50°F and below. I was born and raised near the equator and don't have much insulating fat, hence my misery whenever cold weather persists. It also doesn't help that I'm prone to depression.

Thank you to everyone who provided kind words and suggestions. May your lives be full of cuddles.

• @misternatureboy
    Equator, eh? That explains why CA feels cold.

I was born in a local microclimate in Europe where the wind-chill got below -30 and winter often lasted 5-6 months, so I learned to enjoy the wind bite / frostnip in pre-school :-)

I tried to enjoy Chicago winters for over half a decade but they proved to be too tropical despite the popular misconception.

Can't really beat Montana and Dakotas in this regard :-)

You could not pay me enough to suffer the Californian climate, so you have my respect !

• Awesome @misternatureboy <3 May your life also be filled with cuddles and all good things.

• I live in Manitoba where we start getting dusk at 4pm and we make international news for being colder than Mars. Not exaggerating. So I hear you! Over the years I've tried tons of things, and they all work to a degree. No matter what, at some point, I experience diminishing returns. It ends up getting harder and harder to do the things that are supposed to help, when it doesn't feel like it's helping much.

Here's my list:

• Vitamin D, 10,000 IU daily
    • high quality fish oil
    • mind/body/spirit practices - meditation, yoga, qigong, breathwork, binaural beats
    • warmth - I have an infrared sauna, a hot tub, electric blanket, electric fireplace in my bedroom, heating pad, wool slippers, wool vest, wool socks
    • gratitude practice
    • trying to stay connected to my people
    • therapy
    • Keeping my body fed with nutritious foods
    • traveling to somewhere hot and sunny
    • work less
    • self compassion and radical acceptance (sometimes this simply means not beating myself up for spending 20 hours a day in bed... and instead of fighting it, maybe even making it a magical, cozy place)

Because of COVID, for the first time in 30 years I'm not traveling somewhere tropical this winter. On the flip side, because of COVID, I'm working from home and hardly ever need to leave my house. Not having to fight the weather so far seems to make a huge difference, and I'm doing better than I usually am at this time of year. We still have at least 4 months of winter left here though, so talk to me in Feb!! :o

• @xelda

We still have at least 4 months of winter left here though, so talk to me in Feb!! :open_mouth:

Let me fix that for ya :-)

We have ONLY 4 months of winter left!

• edited December 2020

@Siberian76 Ha! Good one. Have you seen my second profile picture?

Edit: I just visited your profile; we're in the same freeze zone! You know what I'm talking about!

• edited December 2020

Sorry about your dog. That must be stressful.

I take vitamin D3 supplements. Watch movies (especially comedies). Read books. Call friends to chat. Cry when I need to. Sleep extra long. Have a weighted blanket and a heating pad. Ask for extra hugs when I do see anyone. Pet my dog. Try to meet up with people on here for cuddles. Even with all that, it’s not easy. 😔

• Sometimes it is good to just lean into the sadness . Accept that things are weird for a while and know that it will pass.

• I know this might be a little out there, but I think the younger people especially need to consider that we are living in a legacy moment in history. How one responds will be remembered. Did you wear a mask, hunker down at home or did you take chances and end up getting it or spreading it? For these and other reasons, journaling is an outstanding outlet at this time. Even if you do not want to raise children your memories, frustrations and sadness become heirlooms to pass down to the next generation. Perhaps you can will your memoir to a local museum. It would be interesting and educational to someone 100 years from now to see how you lived, coped and triumphed over your generation’s “Titanic” moment.

• Hot chocolate

• @xelda

Have you seen my second profile picture?

I just did, you look plenty warm and cozy with those frozen eyelashes!

I just visited your profile; we're in the same freeze zone! You know what I'm talking about!

Yeah, I am about 20 minutes from the border and right in the middle of Manitoba's border.

Not sure where exactly are you in Manitoba, but do you get the Arctic blast each winter when the wind chill drops below -60 'F?

I'm barely at the edge of that front so it doesn't usually drop below -50.