Cuddling in pandemic / lockdown

edited November 2020 in General

I have encountered five different approaches to cuddling in our current interesting times. Which one is appropriate for you depends not just on the regulations and situation where you are, but also your individual circumstances. It's a very personal thing.

a) No cuddling at all.

b) Full precautions. Detailed covid conversation in advance with mutual assurances of no symptoms, no requirement to self-isolate, etc., repeated on the day. (Sometimes with a recent negative test result in jurisdications where they are available.) Handwashing before and after the session. Masks worn throughout.

This was the level required in the UK before the recent round of lockdowns.

I have done it, and it works. The truth is that all of it is irrelevant to the actual cuddle except the mask. The mask is indeed a nuisance, but not as much as you might think. You're still having a cuddle.

c) Reduced precautions. As b) but without masks. Given my personal circumstances, this is my preferred option.^

d) No precautions. This is dangerous and irresponsible and I condemn it unreservedly. Somebody (a Cuddle Comfort professional) tried it with me ... I upgraded them to level c), more or less without them noticing. (This is the only one of these five levels that I have not done.)

e) Having an online cuddle session instead. Not the same of course, but surprisingly effective.

Comment or suggestions? Anybody discovered a sixth way?

^
^
^ I have thought about this a great deal. Transmission probability if somebody has it is high, but probability of somebody bringing it into the session is very low. Both parties healthy and not living with somebody vulnerable, and only one transmission possible ... it's not a 'super-spreading' moment.

I live alone, and indoor social contact where I live is flatly banned. (You are allowed to meet one person at a time, outside. Which, in Britain in November, essentially means standing on a street corner in the dark.) At the supermarket I use the self-service checkouts. Cuddling is basically my only human interaction.

Comments

• [Deleted User]CertifiedGent (deleted user)

Cuddling for me is getting the stress off and the good vibes in. I love interacting with people of different backgrounds because my city is not diverse. We are somewhat limited to where to go to like New York or New Jersey.You can go any city is a cuddler is active in doing sessions

So far for e) the virtual sessions and on c it depends. Some don't wear masks in sessions and some do. I just go with the flow. Sorry sir, I can't do (a) at all

• I think the precautions necessary depend greatly on your area. Here in my part of Australia we have had very few cases for months, so the main precaution I use is a COVID screening form like the ones used by doctors, massage therapists, and other health professionals. Masks are not mandatory in my area and very few people use them as COVID cases have become so few and far between.

• Good question, for me it’s D. Unless, of course, the other party requests precautions. If I catch this virus it will be from cuddling, it’s the only risk I take. But as far as I’m concerned, it’s informed consent between adults. Outside of cuddling, I participate 100% in preventing the spread of COVID (masks and hygiene etc). I also wait sufficiently between any potential exposures, so that no one else has to deal with the consequences of my choices.