Skipping Thanksgiving thanks to covidiots

2»

Comments

• @jguycuddler2 - I'm only trying to understand your argument. Because all we are trying to say is that we should sacrifice some freedom to stop the spread of the virus to save some lives.

• edited November 2020

I didn't coin the term "covidiots" but I love it.

I'm also OK skipping Thanksgiving this year as this shouldn't be a problem then, but now I'm not sure about Xmas. I'm perfectly fine bucking tradition for safety though.

People who think mask restrictions are a freedom issue don't understand pandemics. We already know this won't last forever, there's just no reason to make yourself a super-spreader, and the mask restrictions are not that bad. They're a minor inconvenience. Hospitals being overwhelmed are a major problem. Endangering others are a problem. The people that don't understand how masks work, OK I'll believe they're naive or ignorant or need some better explanation, but the ones who don't care... those are the covidiots.

• @jguycuddler2 You are baffling all of us. Have you stopped to think that maybe you aren't being as clear as you think you are?

• @jguycuddler2 I'm with @Mike403 @misternatureboy ~ I'm confused...

Is what you're trying to say, is that people saying they wish more had been done, or for Covid to have been handled in ways others have, is whining about freedom because if those measures had been taken our freedoms would've be infringed upon?

So basically they're saying, "Boo to having freedom!" because it's due to our freedoms we can't force people to not be idiots?

• The same countries in Europe who previously had strict lockdowns &mask wearing mandates are also experiencing a serious case increase recently.Their previous lockdowns did nothing to stop this current spike.I wouldn't call them idiots.Its more about people staying indoors for colder weather.

• @jguycuddler2 I get it now. You think we're "whining about freedom", but we aren't. We don't think freedom is the issue. We are taking issue with entitled, inconsiderate people who refuse to make sacrifices for the common good because they are under the impression that to do so infringes on their freedom.

• @davebutton - I'd suggest people to buy a gaming system to keep themselves occupied at home, but PS5s are impossible to find right now.

• edited November 2020

@jguycuddler2 People are not whining about freedom; instead they are broaching the subject of misunderstanding or misinterpreting freedom as something that doesn’t have strings attached. Freedom was won by sacrifice, it was maintained by sacrifice but it seems that when we are called upon to temporarily sacrifice a bit of everyday freedom for the common good as Americans a large segment hides behind freedom to avoid sacrifice. We have inverted how freedom exists—freedom exists because of sacrifice, not the rejection of sacrifice. Besides, how much freedom is there in being dead because you felt a mask was stealing your freedom?

• @FunCartel sometimes I just plain adore you !

• I think there is probably quite a bit of freedom in death 🤷‍♀️

• @Sashamcgee How so? If so, why worry about catching Covid?

• Death grants great freedom. Freedom from fear. Freedom from the mortgage. Freedom from oppression. Freedom from that dreadful neighbour that you always try to avoid. Freedom from want. Freedom from covid, obviously. You can even stop worrying about ghosts, if that had been something that was bothering you.

The list of freedoms it grants you is almost endless. Freedom from ice cream. Freedom from sex. Freedom from cuddles. Freedom from restrictive gun legislation. Freedom from being shot. Freedom from an itch you can't reach and freedom from the North Circular Road at 6pm on a Friday. Freedom from life itself.

The only freedom it doesn't grant you, however, is a biggie. Probably. Freedom from death. That one ... that one you can never have.

• edited November 2020

I think you are listing a list of dislikes or hassles that you no longer have to deal with. But do you have the freedom to do what you like. I say no. Freedom is a choice that you must fight for or attain. Death is the end of choices, freedom, and everything else unless you believe in religious fairy tales. So you are not really free, because you will not be cognizant that you are free from them. You will just be dead.

• So freedom equals blissful ignorance and lack of responsibility? Count me in!

• @pmvines According to some, but I think you have to join a death cult to get there.

• I never said I was worried about catching covid 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

• [Deleted User]DrCuddleBug (deleted user)

@Sashamcgee like you, I'm not worried about getting Covid.

I'm also not worried about death/dying.

I do wear a mask in public places. Not for me, but for others. To prevent them from getting Covid from me (if the mask will help), and to help some mingle in our community with less stress/fear.

• @DrCuddleBug I also wear a mask in public, for the same reason I wear pants in public. Currently facial nudity is unacceptable and I'll oblige.

• P.S. I hate pants

• [Deleted User]DrCuddleBug (deleted user)

@Sashamcgee well, you can get away with public nudity in some places, but point well taken. 😉