The Free Hug Project

[Deleted User]Unknown (deleted user)
Personally, I am facinated with The Free Hug Project (and others like it) where people out in public wear the T-shirt that says "free hugs" and get others involved with conversation and exchange physical touch, hugs, handshakes and pats on the back with people that would otherwise be strangers. It's really cool to see all the smiling faces and positive response. 

So I was thinking... we are pioneers in Platonic Touch here, is anyone willing to do something like that in their town or city? Maybe in a place where large gatherings like a concert, political protest, upcoming holiday events like Memorial Day or July 4th? 

I am doing it here in Maryland.  And one of my amazing awesome wonderful friends on this site (I will let call themself out if they wish) has just ordered a free hugs T-shirt because we had this conversation how cool the concept is.

Imagine how we can make an impact out there in the world. One hug at a time. 

Has anyone else ever done the Free Hugs tshirt and done hundreds of hugs in s public place?   I'd love to hear about your experience… 

Comments

• [Deleted User]Unknown (deleted user)
  • Never thought about the free hugs shirt thing! Thats awesome girl. Maybe Il go out and do this at some point (:
  • I attend comic con conventions and I recall seeing people wearing free hugs tshirts.  I think they are cool and I got a free hug from them.   But I've also seen jerks be mean to them because they think it's some kind of creepy underhanded way to hug cute girls etc.   
    just be cautious please.  Some people don't react well to it in public as I've seen firsthand. 
    I like it though.  Cool idea.  
  • I think it's great! I've seen it once or twice.  Like Atreides points out, you definitely would want to be careful and tactful; especially if you're a guy.  
  •  I love that idea! I'd  do that! Heck, I do that every day! LOL My only issue is it would need to be a V-neck or something aside from a regular T-shirt because I have a huge issue with stuff touching or being close to my neck.   I might have to check and see if they have tank tops or something aside from just T-shirts.  
  • The Free Hugs of Pasadena Meetup Group used to meet at the corner of Fair Oaks and Colorado all the time, with signs and T-shirts offering hugs to the multitudinous passersby.  I was there with them twice, but it is hard on me to be on my feet for that long.  Then the group ownership changed, and they haven't met in Pasadena since. Now they do it on a regular basis in downtown LA.
    ♥Jim
  • edited May 2017
    I did a Free Hugs sign that I made from a piece of cardboard at an event called Wakarusa. I just walked around the event and had over 100 random people come up to me for hugs in a single day! it was incredible walking along and having someone walking the other way suddenly start walking towards you with a smile and arms open for a hug.... no need for a name, just to brighten someones day

(a picture of me in purple with the Free Hugs sign is on my profile since i can't get a link or picture insert to work in this post)
    @reurbo I dig your purple clothes :)
  • A 9 year old free hugs campaign song by Academy winner Indian Singer and Music director, if anyone wanna watch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Nk_UgHdj0&ab_channel=bbpfilms

Hey cool video @kadkaddy!  I shared on my Facebook :)
  • [Deleted User]chococuddles (deleted user)
    I've seen people wearing Free Hug tees for years - mostly at conventions like Anime Expo(in Los Angeles) and San Diego Comicon( in Sandy Eggo).  I haven't seen them worn outside of a controlled environment but I'd be open to wearing one in the right setting.  Tho I'm rather anti-social so I'd prefer to be a silent yet chocolate-y Hug Machine. 

Can I wear a 'Free Hugs, No Talking' tee? ^_^
  • edited May 2017
    @fireandblue I did a Tough Mudder in PA two days before your post and one of the spectators was wearing a free hugs shirt. I assume she was waiting for someone in particular but I have her a hug and it put a smile on both of our faces :-) She might have had the same idea as you as that is one way of getting in front of hundreds of positive minded nice people all at once. 
    Nice, thank you for sharing your story @michael890   :)
  • [Deleted User]Frankincense (deleted user)
    Some years ago here in New Zealand I was wandering through town and came across a girl with a "Free Hugs" t-shirt on. So, being a rather lonely kind of fellow, I asked her for a hug and promptly got one. Then, for a laugh, I said "since they're free, could I get a second one?" and she gave me another hug.
    The entire interaction was maybe 30 or 40 seconds long at most, but it was a wonderful moment, and I walked away with a big smile on my face and a spring in my step. Amazing what an unexpected hug can do.
    Nice @Frankincense!  That is what I hope everyone gets to experience!
     And that's not posting violence in my thread about peaceful hugging? Hypocrite.
  • @Atreides Please go back to your home on troll island
    Just out of curiosity, FireAndBlue, will you be wearing the tee at an event or just around town? 

I think it'd be an interesting experience to do both and compare the interactions.

Regardless, good luck!
    My youngest brother was a Marine and was killed and he is buried in Arlington Cemetery (which is about 40 minutes from my house).  I am part of an organization called TAPS that works with family members who have lost a loved one and assists throughout all of the stages of the grieving and healing process. We will be at Arlington Cemetery on Memorial Day with TAPS. My kids and I will offer hugs if anyone wants them. 

Hugs to you @pmvines and @chococuddles ❤️
    Sorry about your loss @FireAndBlue.

How did the free healing hugs go yesterday?
  • Ive done several free hugs events in the past. There is a group that goes around DC from time to time and does it. I wouldnt mind doing another one in the near future.
    @lovelyday43 let's go together!