Life after 40 years in prison video

This is heartbreaking. Why do we do this and disconnect a person from everybody else for a very long time?

Comments

• [Deleted User]sasquatch99 (deleted user)

Because they committed a horrible crime and they need to be punished for it. It's the way it is. You can't change what is.

• There are some worse punishments.

• There are lots of reasons we punish people disproportionately. Mostly because we struggle to empathize. It’s hard for most of us to imagine we could be in a situation like this.

• I luckily didn’t grow up with family members in and out of jail! This is very sad although criminals need to be reprimanded. The question is what alternatives can be made, if any. In an odd twist of fate, these individuals are judged for what was meant to happen. I don’t believe people just die. Our fate is basically written. We live to die. No one is actually shortening it in my opinion because the death was preplanned In the stars and book of life. Just saying!

• I heard of a couple who hooked up on a speed-awareness course. Some punishments aren't as bad as they could be.

• I wish I had some relatives in jail. The fact that some of them are related to me is criminal.

• Sometimes people are in prison because someone else committed a horrible crime and for some reason the wrong person got accused and convicted, like the five young men who were convicted of brutally raping a woman in Central Park in New York during the 1980s.

Most people are not going to spend their entire lives in prison. If we don't think about what's going to happen to them when they come out, we'll all suffer the consequences.

"In 2001, Matias Reyes, a convicted murderer and serial rapist serving life in prison, confessed to officials that he had raped the female jogger. His DNA matched that found at the scene, and he provided other confirmatory evidence. He said he committed the rape alone. Reyes could not be prosecuted for raping Meili, because the statute of limitations had passed. In 2002 Robert Morgenthau, District Attorney for New York County, had his office conduct an investigation and recommended to the state court that the convictions of the five men on all charges be vacated. The court vacated their convictions in 2002, and the state withdrew all charges against the men."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Park_jogger_case

• If we didn't have the option of long prison sentences, we'd need ( more) capital punishment, which is even harder to correct.

• One of you pros should give him a free session