Unemployment

So I hear you were able to get unemployment if you are self-employed anyone here with cuddlecomfort successfully done so? Just curious if I can use my cuddling mean you're at professionally as myself employment verification and still be approved any information highly appreciated thanks guys have an awesome day

Comments

• edited May 2021

@loveisjustachem , the short answer is yes you probably can. But like most government assistance programs , one will need documentation of all sorts to qualify. The timing currently is a little off as here in Ohio and other states unemployment benefits are under review and are beginning to cease based on Covid vaccinations rates and ease of masks and social distance issues. But yes if you qualify you definitely can get unemployment in Ohio as self employed. Also it’s a tad late for this but the PPP would also cover self employed people. Again though documents and documentation is key. Record keeping is key. Relationships with personal banker and accountants are key. I can go on and on but the bottom line is I own several businesses and the government and my support people really helped me . In my opinion it really has been one of the better programs to save small businesses from closing. But again the timing is off a little now as things are really starting to ramp up 🤞 good luck. If you have a banking relationship I would suggest start there for sba and ppp assistance . For the unemployment obviously they have there own offices and online avenues to navigate. 😊

• [Deleted User]creedhands (deleted user)

I'm with @OhioMike . You will need to show where every dollar you earn goes at the end of the forgivable ppp loan term. And I'm order to get out, you need to show good documentation of your income from the past year or two. I could not have done it without me accountant working closely with my banker. I'm not sure the rules of the second round of PPP, as my loan was with the first round. As for actual state unemployment, Indiana state website is a disaster, so I have no helpful advice on actual unemployment. Good luck to you!

• @creedhands ,you are right about PPP. My first one was forever to get because system got overwhelmed. But it’s already been 100percent forgiven! Yay. The second round of PPP was targeted to smaller companies first including self employed ones like well pro cuddlers. I received that one quickly. This would have been a good conversation last fall unfortunately. Unemployment is just so messed up right now. The massive job openings currently , the changing of the qualifications, the vaccinations are way up here. Almost all the restrictions are going to be gone in weeks State govt here is refusing the fed unemployment so people are probably going to start returning to work soon. That’s the idea at least

• If you file a 1099k and prove that you couldn't work because of Covid, then you would be able to file.

But unemployment is ending soon. You unfortunately will be out of luck now.

• edited May 2021

@OhioMike

Pro cuddlers couldn't have received PPP money. They could have received unemployment because they're self-employed. Independent contractors do not count as employees under the Paycheck Protection Program

• To add to this, does cuddle comfort send pro cuddlers a 1099k at the end of the year?

• @loveisjustachem

I noticed you received karma 5 months ago. It seems like you have been cuddling during the pandemic, so you for sure wouldn't receive unemployment.

• @ep87 yes an independent contractors can and did receive PPP. As long as they met the criteria. That why I prefaced my comment right away with short answer is yes. There’s a lot of work and research but I know plenty of independent contractors who received PPP. So I very respectively disagree with you.

• But again it’s water under the bridge or over the dam or wherever water goes .... this would have been a great conversation a year ago. Now I suppose the government could always do a third round of PPP in the future Go online, do the research, get ahold of your banker or make friends fast with one and say hi to your accountant more often than April 15 😂

• You don't have to receive a 1099 to be a self-employed sole proprietor. You can also get unemployment retroactively.
    @loveisjustachem It took a long time but I eventually got unemployment, as well as a business loan, which I will have to repay, But I was filing taxes as a sole proprietor for years as a dancer and company director in California.
    This is going to be state-specific and I encourage you not to accept advice from these forums. Look to the county and state website where you live, and call and ask if the info isn't available there.

• @OhioMike

"There’s a lot of work and research but I know plenty of independent contractors who received PPP. "

What were the professions of those people?

• @biancalovecraft

"You don't have to receive a 1099 to be a self-employed sole proprietor."

I know that. But you have to prove that you worked for cuddlecomfort. The proof is the tax form that I assume they send to pro cuddlers at the end of the year. Otherwise, there is no proof.

• @biancalovecraft is correct. This will be state specific especially the unemployment issue. And also she is correct in don’t think everything stated here is gospel. But again the professional banker and accountant can guide you through this stuff. My experience personally is I deal with unemployment claims weekly mostly fraudulent and I have received two PPP loans with one already 💯 percent forgiven

• @OhioMike

Just so we get this straight.

You're saying a sex worker, stripper, etc. could have also filed for PPP loans since they are independent contractors?

• @ep87 what were the professions ? What does it matter. If they qualified and had the documentation they got it. Whether they were lawn mower repairpeople or owned a food truck etc. again let me preface...if you qualify and you have documentation supporting yes you could have received PPP. Unemployment a little different because of states

• @OhioMike

"what were the professions ? What does it matter."

It matters because I think you are wrong. You will only get the loan if you owned a business. The family that owns a hot dog stand or the woman that owns a beauty salon. You don't own anything when you cuddle. Cuddlecomfort is the middleman and cuddlecomfort is the business.

So you're saying a stripper, sex worker, etc. were paid PPP loans?

• This discussion is moot anyway. @loveisjustachem worked during the pandemic and received karma and was paid. I am not sure why she thinks she could have filed for unemployment.

Also, she joined in November 2020. You had to show tax forms from 2019 to prove your self employment income.

• @ep87 well I’m sorry you think I’m wrong. And I meet my bookkeeper every Wednesday in my office to review financials. I have the same banker, accountant, and attorney for 30 years of owning businesses. Now I suppose they could be in cahoots to ruin me so thanks for the heads up I will definitely see if they have begun to mislead me. As far as strippers and sex workers I don’t have any contact with any. If you do please let us know. Thanks 😊

• @OhioMike

I only asked because you are so sure that cuddlers received PPP loans. So since you said cuddlers received PPP loans, then they wouldn't have discriminated against other men and women who make their money other ways.

• edited May 2021

@ep87 i never posted here that I said “cuddlers received PPP loans “ I said they are eligible if they qualify and have documentation. Read the qualification requirements for PPP Read the documentation needed for PPP. Lots of small businesses and independent contractors, etc applied. They didn’t all get it because they didn’t meet a qualification(s) and / or didn’t have documentation. I don’t comprehend your discrimination comments. That went over my head 🤔

• @OhioMike

So again, since you have better knowledge about this than I do, what independent contractors that you know received PPP loans? What type of work did they do? I am really curious because my friend has been a CPA for over 20 years and he said the information you provided was false. I am not saying you're wrong, I am just asking for more of an explanation.

I said sex workers, strippers, etc. shouldn't have been discriminated against because you said they could have applied for PPP loans.

• @ep87 at this point in the discussion what ever independent contractors I mention or type of work they do .... you are going to question me. So my advice is to let you do the research of what industry, businesses, blue collar, white collar , received some of the two rounds of PPP. I keep reintegrating the point that independent contractors like a professional cuddler , as long as they met the qualifications and had the proper documentation they were eligible for PPP. It’s right there in black and white in the PPP website. I’m not going to read it for you and I didn’t write it either. 😂 fyi.

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

@ep87: Why the heck do you keep bringing up sex workers like you think their work is closer to a pro cuddler's than a masseuse's or a therapist's or, heck, someone who mows lawns or shovels drives?

Anyway:

• @OhioMike

I get it now. You're making excuses because you don't have answers to my questions.

I did the research. I haven't seen one person (such as a pro cuddler) who received a PPP loan. This is why I was asking you the questions you failed to answer.

• @DarrenWalker

I don't think that. Stop putting words in my mouth.

• [Deleted User]DarrenWalker (deleted user)

@ep87: If you don't want people to think that you think cuddling and sex work are similar, you should stop pairing them in your comments. It gives the wrong impression.

• @DarrenWalker

Don't tell me how to write. Worry about your own problems and stop putting words in my mouth.

• @ep87 wow a whole minute of researching. Might just want to put in a little more effort. Good luck on the research 🧐

• @OhioMike

I have been researching this for over a year. Thanks for not answering the simple questions. Don't comment if you can't answer simple questions.