I have a hard time with this and I am going to vent....

When a pro posts that she wants someone to teach her something and she will offer a reduced social rate for that time. Let me get this straight, you want someone to teach you something (do something for you) but still expect to get paid for it? I realize lots of people are going to defend her but this comes across to me as just wrong and is a prime example of why I get more turned off by this site all the time. Wow, I can't get over the entitlement in this world.

Comments

• If this learned skill is not taking place during your paid session I fail to see the problem in my opinion. It's bartering.

Just an example
    For one hour in exchange for you teaching me how to cook, I will cuddle with you afterwards for half my rate. Whether this is an even or valuable trade of services is debatable.

If you're not interested just block and move on. The mental energy it takes to be upset over something that has no direct impact on your happiness or well being is not worth the trouble my friend. Yes there are some truly entitled people, everywhere. Here we have the choice to block and avoid them entirely. ❤️

• edited September 2021

From the TV show Friends:

Joey: Look at you. Since when do you rollerblade?
    Phoebe: Oh, since tomorrow. I met this really cute guy in the park. And he jogs and blades and swims and so we made a deal. He's gonna teach me how to do jock stuff.
    Ross: And what are you gonna do for him?
    Phoebe: I'm gonna let him.
    =) =) =)

@Envie is right ... no future in being upset about stuff that doesn't affect you. Also, a good life hack tip I came across the other day for stuff that pisses you off is to read up on the concept of 'projection' in psychology - it's really interesting.

• [Deleted User]CharlesThePoet (deleted user)

Not exactly a new idea, although I haven’t personally seen it here.

Granted, there are more than four member profiles, so that’s a lot…

I suppose it becomes a matter of barter and negotiation, and knowing what your skill set is worth in terms of pricing your time as a teacher.

I won’t work for less than $X x 3 an hour as a drummer (performing/recording) or $X an hour (teaching), plus expenses, travel, and accommodations.

Not sure what I would charge for crochet lessons…

For security and personal protection services my charges would be far more varied, depending on the nature of the work.

Of course, once you start negotiating business arrangements you have to write it down, type it up, sign the copies…

Not sure it’s worth the paperwork for a friendly cuddle.

But, what the heck?

Send me a message and we will chat about it.

😉

• @Envie That is what I said, this will be taking place during a paid session. The skill in question is something that has gotten popular lately and has no real useful purpose in modern times. The pro in question was advertising about it so the session would be about her, not the client. I have no problem with bartering at all but that's not what that would be.

@CuddleDuncan I was considering meeting with her until I read that which is why it got on my nerves for a second. I'm already over it. I have to say that I am really over the use of the word hack instead of tip but I guess I am just too old-fashioned. lol

@CharlesThePoet Yeah, it sounds like way too much work especially when you aren't even getting a cuddle out of it. haha

• @Cntrydance28340 man I am with you on the word hack!

• I generally try to follow the same code of ethics a therapist would and bartering/ trading services are against that code of ethics. Charge your clients the full rate and pay someone who isn't your client to teach you. I once had a client who wanted to be business partners on a candle business, I told him he had to make a choice between being a client or a business partner because it would not be ethical for him to be both.

• edited September 2021

Just say no.

Simple.

@xandriarain , you have exactly the right attitude. Dual relationships can get very messy very quickly.

• How much of your session would involve you showing there how to do whatever it was you were going to to show her? How much was the discount? I need more details to fully form an opponent. As many others said though, you can always say no.

• @envie. Here’s a free cooking lesson at no charge .

How to make cinnamon toast:

Two slices of your favorite bread , place in toaster slots , drop lever and set dial to desired toast ness .

Butter toasted bread with butter or margarine , sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar “ to taste”

Enjoy