Were you an 80’s / 90’s kid? 📻

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]CrouchingAUTigr (deleted user)

@cuddles_ndream Cool pictures! They definitely bring back the 90's. I recognize walkman and power rangers. I can't tell which gaming console is in the third picture though.

• Playing Pitfall on the Atari 2600 connected to our console TV while listening to Billy Idol on cassette in my boom box was peak 1983. Soon surpassed by playing Hardball on Commodore 64 while listening to REM & U2 on my new CD player.

• [Deleted User]sameyeam (deleted user)

@cuddles_ndream I think alot of kids were in a rush to grow up, me included, I wanted freedom, then I remember one quote from one of the Land Before Times movies, the grandma long neck said "they kids are always in a hurry to grow up, and when they do they wish they were young again!" And its true! Adulthood sucks big time, especially in 2021.

@Shake49 Invader Zim was one of the last good shows on Nickelodeon before Spongebob completely ruined it by taking over the whole thing and getting rid of all the classic Nick Toons.

@FunCartel In a way the 1990's and the 1960's/1970's were similar, tye dye shirts, flare jeans (girls only wore them in the 90's), long straight hair parted in the middle (grunge made it into it's own thing), and many other stuff. I think 2006 and after everything went downhill.

• @sameyeam You might be right. My playlists are dominated by 90s music followed by 70s.

• I wish there were like buttons here. I’m liking all of this!!! 😊

• @ThomSSI !!!! 😅😂😂
    @05vita21lov21 thanks! That’s the classic Nintendo … @Protector i actually remember Atari & Pac-Man, I was maybe 4 I believe (vague memories but remember : )
    @sameyeam sooo true!!!!

• @Tranquilescape haha 😃

I’m probably the only (or one of the only one in this site) that absolutely loves to watch American picker / Pawn stars / used to watch a lot of storage wars & those restoration shows …. I love to see things come across the shop / found / or restored that reminds me of my childhood and beyond … there’s just something about history 🗺 ☺️

• @cuddles_ndream love pawn stars. Actually in an episode many years ago. I collect all vintage stuff. Here’s a 92 vette in front of a 1960s coke machine

• [Deleted User]peterfhecuddler (deleted user)

Party line 😎 got to meet a lot of people. Real people

• Nooo wayyyy @OhioMike … if you have a YouTube video link to that episode plzzzz send it to my p.m. 😃

Did you have to restore the coke machine? That corvette is 🔥🔥🔥! I see the beer signs 😝 glad to know you enjoy a cold one 🍻

• The coke machine actually held bottles not cans. So right now there’s red apple 🍎 in there lol. But it holds beer bottles too

• @OhioMike i absolutely love glass coke from Mexico with the real sugar & thankfully Costco sells it, you just gave me an idea!

• edited October 2021

Aaahh!!! Those looked like some real monsters!
    Someone also already said my beloved Scooby Doo

Also really miss...

• @entwine Rugrats! I remember an episode with an arctic expedition and a diary saying, "Octember 53rd ..."

I didn't actually encounter Rugrats until I was grown up, but I retrospectively incorporated it into my childhood. (I did that with Crash Bandicoot too).

• edited October 2021

This blue little hedgehog was my life.

• [Deleted User]sameyeam (deleted user)

@FunCartel do you remember when nintendo 64 came out and how everyone thought it was so realistic and amazing? I was so excited for Mario 64 and goldeneye 64

@cuddles_ndream i miss the 90’s!

• edited October 2021

@sameyeam Yes I do remember Nintendo 64. I also remember some of the off the wall stuff they marketed back then—like Gnip-Gnop from the 70s and the Creepy Crawlers Thingmaker from the 60s (I had both) the oven on the Thingmaker got to 350 degrees and was sold in toy stores! Yes I burned myself more than once on it.

I actually had this chemistry set. And yes I went off script all the time. Luckily I was outdoors most of the time when I experimented:

• @sameyeam As I mentioned before, many of the cartoons and kid shows from the 60s and 70s were very counter cultural. HR Pufnstuf included obvious drug references (read the title) as well as gay underpinnings (everyone wanted Jimmy’s Magic Flute). The whole show seemed like a big acid trip. I was enthralled.

• edited October 2021

Playing on this at school was a real treat! (UK). At that time I thought the graphics were amazing!!

• edited October 2021

No, I am not a kid of the 1980s/1990s. However I made several major life transitions over those two decades. I emigrated from the UK to the USA at the end of 1979. I got to see the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade in NYC in 1979. The 1980s was my first decade in the USA (New York). My first apartment in New York, my first job working for an American company, my office was on an upper floor of the Chrysler Building, which I still consider to be the most beautiful building in the world. My local area was Lexington Avenue, 42nd Street and Grand Central Station. In the 1980s there was no internet, no mobile phones, people carried portable battery-powered tape players ('Walkmen') or large radio 'boom-boxes'. Cars were much bigger, I owned an enormous 1966 Cadillac. Gas was far cheaper. Cars had no navigation, people carried maps which gas stations gave out for free. Most stations had free air to inflate your tires. Later in the 1980s, I got married and in early 1990s had my daughters. So the 1990s was a time for raising children and fighting against the downturns in my career field due to oursourcing of IT jobs overseas. The 1980s was a boom decade in New York, but that all fell apart in the 1990s. New York had the worst Governors and Mayors during those decades, so by the end of the 1990s, we went in search of affordable real estate and a booming job market in the South West. Have not been back to New York since.

Imagine reporting for your first day of work in a new country and being confronted with this building:

My favourite cafe (on 3rd Avenue) in the 1980s (now demolished):

• @UKGuy you arrived to the city 🌆 when it was 🔥… the 80’s were no joke I’m sure you have plenty of stories.